Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Oct 2014, 00:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Human Resources, International Business
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GPA: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 43

Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2013, 07:09
i thought it to be a clear C :(

why can't it be C?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1157

Kudos [?]: 5385 [1] , given: 165

Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2013, 18:02
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
KanupriyaS wrote:

why can't it be C?

Note that the conclusion says "Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents"

The conclusion says that it will help control the occurrence of carpal tunnel. It doesn't say that it will eradicate the condition. If a problem can happen in 3 ways and if you take care of one, you can certainly HELP CURB the problem. It may not eradicate the problem completely but it can definitely help reduce the occurence.
So we don't need to assume that carpal tunnel doesn't happen any other way to make our conclusion true. Therefore, C is not correct.

Take another example:

Me: I get frequent heartburns.
You: Avoid cooking fried foods at home. That would help control the problem.

Your opinion is that if fried food are not cooked at home, the heartburn problem will be controlled. What are you assuming? That I will not go outside/order in fried foods on a regular basis. You are not assuming that there is no other way in which I could get heartburn. Smoking, eating large meals etc can also cause heartburn. But you are addressing one cause, perhaps the main one - we don't know - and you are saying that taking care of this cause will help control the problem. That is perfectly valid, isn't it? You don't need to assume that other causes are not there.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Human Resources, International Business
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 43

Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2013, 04:53
Thanks a lot!! :)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2013, 06:14
A) The conclu is about the legislation's effect, not how it could be supported by legislators.
B) Negate the stat: all who play games regularly suffer from the syndrome: doesn't attack the conclu's validity => not an assumption
C) No need to be the only way: if playing games is among the major causes of the syndrome, the doctor's conclu is significant
D) Correct: prohibiting the sales to minors doesn't mean the minors wouldn't have games to play, because their parents might buy for them. Choice d eliminates this possibility.
E) Out of scope: other aspects of playing games such as its beneficial effects are irrelevant.

Choose D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 23

Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games [#permalink] New post 13 May 2014, 16:21
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
KanupriyaS wrote:

why can't it be C?

Note that the conclusion says "Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents"

The conclusion says that it will help control the occurrence of carpal tunnel. It doesn't say that it will eradicate the condition. If a problem can happen in 3 ways and if you take care of one, you can certainly HELP CURB the problem. It may not eradicate the problem completely but it can definitely help reduce the occurence.
So we don't need to assume that carpal tunnel doesn't happen any other way to make our conclusion true. Therefore, C is not correct.

Take another example:

Me: I get frequent heartburns.
You: Avoid cooking fried foods at home. That would help control the problem.

Your opinion is that if fried food are not cooked at home, the heartburn problem will be controlled. What are you assuming? That I will not go outside/order in fried foods on a regular basis. You are not assuming that there is no other way in which I could get heartburn. Smoking, eating large meals etc can also cause heartburn. But you are addressing one cause, perhaps the main one - we don't know - and you are saying that taking care of this cause will help control the problem. That is perfectly valid, isn't it? You don't need to assume that other causes are not there.

Hi Karishma,

To echo the question - the Powerscore CR Bible states that for assumption questions -- the author assumes that the assumption is the ONLY way something happens. So doesn't C tackle that direct statement? Doesn't C basically cut the statement's feet before anything can be inferred?

Thanks!
Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 5385 [0], given: 165

Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games [#permalink] New post 14 May 2014, 00:47
Expert's post
russ9 wrote:

Hi Karishma,

To echo the question - the Powerscore CR Bible states that for assumption questions -- the author assumes that the assumption is the ONLY way something happens. So doesn't C tackle that direct statement? Doesn't C basically cut the statement's feet before anything can be inferred?

Thanks!

I am not sure what your doubt is exactly but (C) is not correct because we don't need to assume that there is no other way in which someone could get carpal tunnel. As I said before - the conclusion clearly states "help curb". It does not say "eliminate". So if we are addressing one cause, it certainly helps curb.

Karishma
My Blog

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 415

Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2014, 08:32
Still another doubt with D , please explain this..

Lets Negate D

Most parents would NOT refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children.

What if I go with this thinking ....

Even if parents would NOT refuse to purchase video games and infact buy the video games for their child , Still there are chances that adolescent themself or their siblings might stop the adolescent to play video game hearing the ban.

Now though D is negated still conclusion does not breaks apart. ie Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games is still helping minors to curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents.
Intern
Intern
WE: Information Technology (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 18

Premium Member
Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2014, 22:07
The point to note is Federal Legislation cubing the sale of video games to "MINORS" would solve the problem .. So they r assuming if sale to minors is prohibited then majors also will not go and buy. Hence the minors will not have a chance to use majors to buy the vid games and play them . thereby reducing the prob of carpel syndrome.

Hope this clears the air of doubt surrounding the answer choices

Never give up, never celebrate, never leave your spot until it is finally over
We are winning this GMAT-war together

"Your one spot for all your GMAT and B-school ranking know hows" - Click here

Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 5385 [0], given: 165

Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2014, 20:35
Expert's post
naval.sheth@gmail.com wrote:
Still another doubt with D , please explain this..

Lets Negate D

Most parents would NOT refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children.

What if I go with this thinking ....

Even if parents would NOT refuse to purchase video games and infact buy the video games for their child , Still there are chances that adolescent themself or their siblings might stop the adolescent to play video game hearing the ban.

Now though D is negated still conclusion does not breaks apart. ie Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games is still helping minors to curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents.

The doctor feels that if adolescents do not have video games to play, it will help curb the condition. But the law only bans minors from buying it. The law will have effect only if minors do not get their hands on the video games if they are not allowed to buy them. If adults buy the games for them instead, then the law is useless. It doesn't make sense for adults to buy the games for them and then not allow them to play. Also, why would the adults buy the games for them if adolescents themselves do not want to play. I will not say that this can never happen, but it sure would be rare. Only if adolescents want the games and adults will allow them to play will the adults buy the games. Hence, if you negate (D), the conclusion does fall apart.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
GMAT Date: 12-17-2014
GPA: 3.7

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2014, 22:48
the conclusion is that the federal legislation can prohibit the sale to minors. The assumption is that if the federal legislation prohibits the parents will refuse to purchase.
Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games   [#permalink] 25 Oct 2014, 22:48