Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 17:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2009, 09:09
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regular basis are three times as likely to develop carpal tunnel syndrome as are adolescents who do not play video games. Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents.

The doctor’s conclusion depends on which of the following assumptions?

The majority of federal legislators would vote for a bill that prohibits the sale of video games to minors.

Not all adolescents who play video games on a regular basis suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome.

Playing video games is the only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome.

Most parents would refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children.

The regular playing of video games by adolescents does not produce such beneficial effects as better hand-eye coordination and improved reaction time.

==============================================
Do not answer without sharing the reasoning behind ur choice
-----------------------------------------------------------
Working on my weakness : GMAT Verbal
------------------------------------------------------------
Ask:
Why, What, How, When, Where, Who

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Carpal Tunnel [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2009, 10:00
I will go with A. The bill would have to be passed to help curb the wrist condition. If it weren’t passed, the doctor’s argument would be moot.

B. It’s not necessary for all adolescents who play games to get CTS. Only some could get it and the doctor’s argument would still be valid.
C. This seems like an attractive answer choice but it’s too strong.
D. Parents refusing to purchase games is irrelevant.
E. This is irrelevant as well.

OA?
Director
Director
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: Carpal Tunnel [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2009, 10:02
I go with A. OA?
mbaMission wrote:
Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regular basis are three times as likely to develop carpal tunnel syndrome as are adolescents who do not play video games. Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents.

The majority of federal legislators would vote for a bill that prohibits the sale of video games to minors.

Not all adolescents who play video games on a regular basis suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome. >> Some may suffer, but that is irrelevant

Playing video games is the only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome. >> we are not talking about ways of getting this syndrome

Most parents would refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children.
>> no link with legislation, if it said parents would refuse due to legislation then it made sense
The regular playing of video games by adolescents does not produce such beneficial effects as better hand-eye coordination and improved reaction time.>> out of scope

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Carpal Tunnel [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2009, 11:04
We don't know whether the "Federal legislation" exists or is still awaited.
Hence, we cannot conclude on A. What if the legislation already exists?

Apart, the legislation is prohibiting sale only to minors; not adolescents.

I would go with D, as that is the only way (under given conditions) by which adolescents can be protected from the bad effect of video games.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Carpal Tunnel [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2009, 11:16
I was so confused with this one, that didn't reply when saw it for the first time. :oops:

I find A and E too close to choose. Had it been real gmat, i would have made a guess between either of them.

A - the doctor cites federal legislation as a solution, then he must be assuming that such a legislation will be passed and that it is the best solution.

E - Completely banning the use of video games for minors indicates that they do not have any benefits at all, else the doctor might have suggested some alternative which would have prevented the syndrome even as minors played video games. The fact that he wants to completely ban video games for minors shows that he assumes video games have no benefits at all
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Carpal Tunnel [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2009, 11:26
I think you have assumed two times :)
I strongly feel E cant be correct..however, lets await the OA and OE.

rashminet84 wrote:
I was so confused with this one, that didn't reply when saw it for the first time. :oops:

I find A and E too close to choose. Had it been real gmat, i would have made a guess between either of them.

A - the doctor cites federal legislation as a solution, then he must be assuming that such a legislation will be passed and that it is the best solution.

E - Completely banning the use of video games for minors indicates that they do not have any benefits at all, else the doctor might have suggested some alternative which would have prevented the syndrome even as minors played video games. The fact that he wants to completely ban video games for minors shows that he assumes video games have no benefits at all
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Carpal Tunnel [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2009, 11:51
Economist wrote:
I think you have assumed two times :)
I strongly feel E cant be correct..however, lets await the OA and OE.

lols, oh god, what an irony after all that discussion.

ya, im waiting for the OA too, hopefully should be A, so many people have chosen it
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Carpal Tunnel [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2009, 14:28
mbaMission wrote:

Not all adolescents who play video games on a regular basis suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome.

Playing video games is the only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome.

The regular playing of video games by adolescents does not produce such beneficial effects as better hand-eye coordination and improved reaction time.

IMHO, it is C.

The premise is adolescents who play video games are thrice as likely to develop carpal tunnel syndrome than adolescents who don't. The assumption is that video games are the only way CTS can be developed. Now, what if they are sitting in front of a computer too long, et al.,

I think 'C' is the only one that identifies this assumption.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Carpal Tunnel [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2009, 15:56
Quote:

I would go for D.
If the bill is passed, the parents would refuse to purchase the video games for their adolescent children.

Keep trying no matter how hard it seems, it will get easier.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Carpal Tunnel [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2009, 05:52
Okkkkkk

since few problems perplexed me like this one, and the OA was not coming, I decided to google, and the ans is D.

Atleast no one else came with D for the correct reasons, so i dont feel like going :wall

Now D is correct becoz the doctor assumes then when sale to minors is banned, and the minors ask their parents to buy the games for them, the parents too would refuse to do so. We have to remember that the shops would still sell games to adults, so parents could get the games for their minors.

But since everybody is getting it wrong, this should be in the pool of tougher questions. probably if one sees it on test day, that means they are doing good ;)
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Carpal Tunnel [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2009, 12:12
arghh...yup...good question

Now i see why A cant be correct...it is also an assumption which makes sense...but not the one that is MUST for the argument to be true...there are two steps: legislation should pass AND parents should not buy video games, only then the conclusion is valid.

However, it is MUST that parents should not buy video games for reducing this syndrome...if legislation is passed and parents still buy then legislation has no effect...

Nice pattern...:)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Carpal Tunnel [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2009, 15:14
Quote:
Okkkkkk

since few problems perplexed me like this one, and the OA was not coming, I decided to google, and the ans is D.

Atleast no one else came with D for the correct reasons, so i dont feel like going

Now D is correct becoz the doctor assumes then when sale to minors is banned, and the minors ask their parents to buy the games for them, the parents too would refuse to do so. We have to remember that the shops would still sell games to adults, so parents could get the games for their minors.

But since everybody is getting it wrong, this should be in the pool of tougher questions. probably if one sees it on test day, that means they are doing good

My intention was the same as yours. I should have given a detailed message, though.

Quote:
I would go for D.
If the bill is passed, the parents would refuse to purchase the video games for their adolescent children.

Keep trying no matter how hard it seems, it will get easier.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Carpal Tunnel [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2009, 15:20
Quote:
My intention was the same as yours. I should have given a detailed message, though.

Oh, in that case, u are the only one who got it right. :)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Re: Carpal Tunnel [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2009, 21:05
extremely sorry guys for posting the OA so late.
My exam is on 16th(5 days remaining) so i was bit busy.

anyways OA is D

P.S:
This que is from MGMAT.

Do not answer without sharing the reasoning behind ur choice
-----------------------------------------------------------
Working on my weakness : GMAT Verbal
------------------------------------------------------------
Ask:
Why, What, How, When, Where, Who

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Carpal Tunnel [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2009, 05:14
Yup answer should be D.
If parents purchase video games for their adoloscent children then sentence falls apart. (Negating technique will work here)
Re: Carpal Tunnel   [#permalink] 14 Jul 2009, 05:14