Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 14:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB, UCLA,Darden
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 1

Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2010, 23:10
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

53% (01:47) correct 47% (01:11) wrong based on 67 sessions
Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regular basis are three times as likely to develop carpal tunnel syndrome as are adolescents who do not play video games. Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents.

The doctor’s conclusion depends on which of the following assumptions?
A. The majority of federal legislators would vote for a bill that prohibits the sale of video games to minors.
B. Not all adolescents who play video games on a regular basis suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome.
C.Playing video games is the only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome.
D.Most parents would refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children.
E. The regular playing of video games by adolescents does not produce such beneficial effects as better hand-eye coordination and improved reaction time.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
D

Last edited by donisback on 22 Jan 2010, 05:27, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: MGMAT CAT Question [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2010, 01:18
In my opinion:
A - "majority"
B - opposite direction
C - Not mentioned as the only way
D - "Most"
(TRUE) E - Based on this assumption the doctor's conclusion is meaningful.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 25

Re: MGMAT CAT Question [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2010, 04:28
donisback wrote:
Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regular basis are three times as likely to develop carpal tunnel syndrome as are adolescents who do not play video games. Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents.

A. The majority of federal legislators would vote for a bill that prohibits the sale of video games to minors. ---> out of scope
B. Not all adolescents who play video games on a regular basis suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome. ---> opposite of the conclusion
C.Playing video games is the only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome. ---> never said that
D.Most parents would refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children. ---> if they do then then there is no need to have legislation
E. The regular playing of video games by adolescents does not produce such beneficial effects as better hand-eye coordination and improved reaction time. ---> this one is left
So answer is E

Cheers,
SD

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 3

Re: MGMAT CAT Question [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2010, 08:32
Answer is C.

Because in the last line it says if the federal legislation prohibits the sale of game to adolescent, it can curb this painful wrist condition. Thus the author assumes there is no other thing than video games that causes this syndrome.

I don't understand why the OA is D. Can someone please explain it to me. Thanks.
2 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 751 [2] , given: 11

Re: MGMAT CAT Question [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2010, 10:53
This post received
KUDOS
Hey All,

I'm happy to help out on one of our questions!

The important thing with this question, as with the majority of CR questions, is to focus on the EXACT wording of the conclusion. In this case, we can paraphrase to say "Federal legislation that you can't sell games to minors will HELP PREVENT kids from getting carpal tunnel."

Now, let's go through the ACs.

A. The majority of federal legislators would vote for a bill that prohibits the sale of video games to minors.
-- The question isn't whether or not the legislation will pass, but what would happen if it did.

B. Not all adolescents who play video games on a regular basis suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome.
--This isn't the point either. We want to totally keep kids from getting carpal tunnel, so that only applies to the ones that do get it.

C.Playing video games is the only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome.
--This isn't the issue either. We never said we would stop all cases of carpal tunnel, but only that we would "curb" it.

D.Most parents would refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children.
--Aha. Now we have a problem. If parents just go out and buy the games for their kids (because only minors were prevented from purchasing it in the legislation), then nothing is going to change.

E. The regular playing of video games by adolescents does not produce such beneficial effects as better hand-eye coordination and improved reaction time.
--The question isn't about whether video games are bad or good. The question is whether or not we can keep them from causing carpal tunnel.

The correct answer here is D.

Hope that helps!

Tommy Wallach

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 25

Re: MGMAT CAT Question [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 11:59

PR: adolescents who play video games on a regular basis are three times as likely to develop carpal tunnel syndrome as are adolescents who do not play video games.

CN: Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents.

Missing PR/Assumption: The legislation will actually be effective

So we need to find a AC which is serving the purpose.

Thanks tommy

Cheers,
SD

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: MGMAT CAT Question [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 20:51
D

Conclusion - Federal legislation that prohibits......condition among adolescents
Supporting premises - Research shows...who do not play video games
A --> Conclusion does not focuses on Federal legislation
B --> Alreay stated in the argument (three times as likely to develop)
C --> Not stated in the argument
D --> Work as the missing link ( This is correct)
E. --> Out of scope
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 39

Re: MGMAT CAT Question [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2011, 21:01
D is defender assumption.
negation of assumption is an weakener which attack the link between evidence and conclusion.
if negation of an answer choice weaken ONLY CONCLUSION,or in other words, attack conclusion outside context of evidence, this answer choice is wrong and tricky. . I call this tricky answer affecting conclusion outside of evidence context. Defender assumption is usually mistaken for this tricky answer.

for many S, W, A, the wrong choice or negation of wrong choice support/weaken conclusion outside context of evidence . This is tricky. following is my example of this tricky. D is attacking conclusion outside context, very attractive but wrong.

Having an efficient, attractive subway system makes good economic sense. So, the city needs to purchase new subway cars, since the city should always do what makes good economic sense.
The conclusion drawn above follows logically if which one of the following is assumed?
(D) New subway cars are financially affordable.
(E) New subway cars are required in order for the city to have a subway system that is efficient and attractive

ok, understand ATTACKING CONCLUSION OUTSIDE CONTEXT OF EVIDENCE. also, understand DEFENDER ASSUMPTION which is explain in Critical Reasoning Bile.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 280

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2014, 20:29
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games   [#permalink] 17 Sep 2014, 20:29