Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 07:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2010, 21:14
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (01:55) correct 49% (01:16) wrong based on 389 sessions
Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regular basis are three times as likely to develop carpal tunnel syndrome as are adolescents who do not play video games. Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents.

The doctor’s conclusion depends on which of the following assumptions?

1]The majority of federal legislators would vote for a bill that prohibits the sale of video games to minors.
2]Not all adolescents who play video games on a regular basis suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome.
3]Playing video games is the only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome.
4]Most parents would refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children.
5]The regular playing of video games by adolescents does not produce such beneficial effects as better hand-eye coordination and improved reaction time.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

-Underline your question. It takes only a few seconds!
-Search before you post.

Last edited by pqhai on 17 Nov 2013, 00:00, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 5

Re: Carpal Tunnel syndrome [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 02:26
IMO C

Negating C, breaks the argument apart.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 12

Re: Carpal Tunnel syndrome [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 06:37
vscid wrote:
Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regular basis are three times as likely to develop carpal tunnel syndrome as are adolescents who do not play video games. Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents.

1]The majority of federal legislators would vote for a bill that prohibits the sale of video games to minors.
2]Not all adolescents who play video games on a regular basis suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome.
3]Playing video games is the only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome.
4]Most parents would refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children.
5]The regular playing of video games by adolescents does not produce such beneficial effects as better hand-eye coordination and improved reaction time.

Clearly 4. The argument assumes that if the law prohibits minors from buying the video game then their parents won't buy it for them. If the parents start buying then the whole argument falls apart.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: PRM
WE 1: Risk management
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: Carpal Tunnel syndrome [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 06:42
vscid wrote:

1]The majority of federal legislators would vote for a bill that prohibits the sale of video games to minors. Incorrect. vote for the bill is out of the scope
2]Not all adolescents who play video games on a regular basis suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome. Incorrect. weaken the conclusion
3]Playing video games is the only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome. Correct. in the scope + Negating is weaken the conclusion: Playing video games [color=#BF4000]in not the only way... so wouldn't help curb..[/color]
4]Most parents would refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children. Incorrect Parents' refuse is out the scope, moreover, if parents refuse to buy, then the legislation isn't needed.
5]The regular playing of video games by adolescents does not produce such beneficial effects as better hand-eye coordination and improved reaction time Incorrect. beneficial effects are out of the scope .

The correct answer is C

Yours faithfully,
Vlad

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 295

Kudos [?]: 691 [3] , given: 6

Re: Carpal Tunnel syndrome [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 10:07
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
D
Quote:
octor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regular basis are three times as likely to develop carpal tunnel syndrome as are adolescents who do not play video games. Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents.

I originally thought (C), but it looks like I fell for a typical pitfall and the answer should be (D). It's a bit tricky.

Once you see the word "assumptions" in the question, you should look back at the paragraph to see what claim is being made.

Here's the claim:
"Stopping sales of video games --> less carpel tunnel syndrome"

Well, wait a minute. Look at the long chain of reasoning here:

There are 3 components:
1) Sales of video games -> 2) playing video games -> 3) carpel tunnel syndrome

More detailed, it looks like this:
1) Legislation that stops sales of video games --(causes)--> 2) playing video games --(causes)--> 3) carpel tunnel syndrome

Here's the doctor's claim: "Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents. "

According to the reasoning chain above, getting rid of item #1: "sales of video games" through legislation will mean #2 and #3 will not exist.

Well, that assumes that #1: "sales of video games" will lead to #2: "playing video games"
How do we know that blocking sales of video games will necessarily lead to less playing of video games?

Well, the doctor assumes that by making it illegal for minors to purchase to purchase the games, the minors would have no other way to play the games. Well, common sense tells you that the minors can always get their parents/guardians to get the games for them. So the author assumes that this is not possible since they assume "most parents would refuse to purchase the games for their kids."

With answer choice (D), that's what you get:

"Most parents would refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children."

I still think answer (C) is an assumption in the 3 part assumption chain I mentioned above although it's not an assumption of the doctor's claim---small subtlety.

Here's why:

In the 3 part reasoning chain:

the doctor's claim is that getting rid of #1, you will no longer have #3.
Answer (D) describes the assumption between #1 and #2.
Answer (C) describes the assumption between #2 and #3.

Since the doctor's claim begins further to the left on the reasoning chain (#1), the assumption must include #1. Although (C) seems like a legitimate assumption to me, it is an assumption related to a different part of the reasoning chain (#2 and #3).

So it appears because of where we are on this reasoning chain, the answer is not (C) but rather (D).

Open to your thoughts.

Last edited by GMATPill on 17 Feb 2010, 15:58, edited 2 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Carpal Tunnel syndrome [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 14:18
The OA is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

OE

[Reveal] Spoiler:
In order for the doctor's recommended legislation to reduce the incidence of carpal tunnel syndrome among adolescents, the prohibition from the purchase of video games must result in the actual possession of fewer video games. Thus, it must be assumed that parents will not simply purchase video games for their children.

-Search before you post.

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 101 [2] , given: 22

Re: Carpal Tunnel syndrome [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 15:55
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This is actually an excellent GMAT trap question. The question is to identify the assumption, not to see if the conclusion can fall apart or not. Classic difference between strengthening the stimulus and understanding the core logic in the stimulus to drive to the conclusion.

The techniques that honeyrai and gmatpill both used are applicable for strengthening the conclusion. Playing more video games causes carpal tunnel syndrome - a regular cause and effect scenario. Negating the cause, or breaking the relationship, or showing that no alternatives exist between the cause and effect are all techniques applicable for either strengthening or weakening questions.

Assumption on the other hand tries to justify the conclusion. A premise is presented that teenagers run a greater risk when they play more video games. The conclusion drawn is that prohibiting sales of video games should fix the problem. What could possibly justify the conclusion? Cigarette smoking is always advertised as injurious to health, yet, some states literally survive on taxes that come from the sales!!!! In similar lines, even if sales of video games are prohibited, rather restricted, it is up to the parents to make sure they don't buy neither do they allow their teenagers to buy those games anymore. Until that is assumed, the conclusion cannot stand on it's own!!!!

True, the answer must be D.

I am AWESOME and it's gonna be LEGENDARY!!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Carpal Tunnel syndrome [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 16:20
Nice explanation Barney.

However, wouldn't the legislation prevent parents from making purchases anyways, thus making option 4 slightly out of scope?
(I think the example of cigarette is not completely analogous to this one.)
I find option 4 definitely close but still like 3, however 4's the OA and we have to live with it!

-Search before you post.

Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 295

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 6

Re: Carpal Tunnel syndrome [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 16:44
Expert's post
Yes, good points there. Btw, I also agree (C) is a legitimate assumption (I originally chose C) but I believe there's a small subtlety in the 3 part reasoning chain that explains why (D) turns out to be the answer instead of (C). See if it makes any sense.

I edited my above response above to include this explanation.

Excerpt:
Quote:

Since the doctor's claim begins further to the left on the reasoning chain (#1), the assumption must include #1. Although (C) seems like a legitimate assumption to me, it is an assumption related to a different part of the reasoning chain (#2 and #3).
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 12

Re: Carpal Tunnel syndrome [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 20:54
This post received
KUDOS
I think that if C had stated something like "sales to minors will completely curb the syndrome" then it would have been a strong candidate. But here C only says that the legislation will help curb the problem. It doesn't say that it'll eradicate the problem. Curbing a problem signifies reducing the problem. Therefore, the doc certainly accepts the fact that there are other ways in which this syndrome can be developed. Hence C isn't an assumption.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Carpal Tunnel syndrome [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2010, 05:55
gmatpill wrote:
Yes, good points there. Btw, I also agree (C) is a legitimate assumption (I originally chose C) but I believe there's a small subtlety in the 3 part reasoning chain that explains why (D) turns out to be the answer instead of (C). See if it makes any sense.

I edited my above response above to include this explanation.

Excerpt:
Quote:

Yeah, your explanation makes it slightly more convincing :-D

-Search before you post.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 25

Re: Carpal Tunnel syndrome [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2010, 01:49
vscid wrote:

1]The majority of federal legislators would vote for a bill that prohibits the sale of video games to minors.---> out of scope
2]Not all adolescents who play video games on a regular basis suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome. ---> those who play are likely to develop. So plearly no
3]Playing video games is the only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome. --> conclusion clearly says help not complete prevention
4]Most parents would refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children. -->adolescents will ultimately play video game and that will not help to curb carpeal tunnel. So this is the answer.
5]The regular playing of video games by adolescents does not produce such beneficial effects as better hand-eye coordination and improved reaction time. --> out of scope

4 is the answer.

Cheers,
SD

Retired Moderator
WE 1: 4yrs in IT Industry
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 337

Re: Carpal Tunnel syndrome [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 01:45
wow good question.

D choice is eliminates the alternate cause of the effect

so D is the answer

One Final Try.......

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 16

Re: Carpal Tunnel syndrome [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 04:15
D [or 4] :)

for some reason I was stuck at B also. Need to read gmatpill's explanation again ....
SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2013, 17:23
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2013, 17:28
:roll: my answer is D
C is incorrect
Current Student
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2013, 23:09
D for me.

Statement: More chances of getting the wrist problem by playing video games than by not playing these games.
Conclusion: Prohibiting sale of video games to minors would curb this problem !

Gap: If minors somehow got others to buy these games for them, prohibition of sale to minors would not curb the problem :idea:

1]The majority of federal legislators would vote for a bill that prohibits the sale of video games to minors. Doesn't matter . Nobody is questioning the vote.

2]Not all adolescents who play video games on a regular basis suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome. Already stated in argument. It says more chances for ppl who play than those who do not play. Incorrect.

3]Playing video games is the only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome. Not mentioned in argument. Irrelevant .

4]Most parents would refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children. Minors will be prohibited from buying. Parents would refuse. Hence problem solved!

Out of scope!
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '15

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2014, 06:03
D is the correct answer.The whole point of assumption is to find a hidden statement on which the argument rests.The assumption is that statement which will help strengthen or weaken or an argument.It is the statement on which we cab debate.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 47

Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2014, 23:25
Can anyone explain this question by negating each and every option.I am confused,Even i have done the negation and I thought my answer is either A or E.

A, Negate_ If the federal will not vote>>Not Prohibited to buy games>>then more effect adolescents, Fails the conclusion.
D,]Most parents would refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children.( Actual)
D Negate_ No Parents will refuse to buy>> kids will buy and play>>Once Prohibited to buy>>then helpful for kids.

Is My D , A negation analysis is Right!! I think i am confused :(
Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games   [#permalink] 11 Sep 2014, 23:25