Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 20:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Doctors in Britain have long suspected that patients who

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2006
Posts: 146
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

Doctors in Britain have long suspected that patients who [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2008, 15:09
4
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

37% (02:56) correct 63% (02:08) wrong based on 818 sessions
Doctors in Britain have long suspected that patients who wear tinted eyeglasses are abnormally prone to depression and hypochondria. Psychological tests given there to hospital patients admitted for physical complaints like heart pain and digestive distress confirmed such a relationship. Perhaps people whose relationship to the world is psychologically painful choose such glasses to reduce visual stimulation, which is perceived as irritating. At any rate, it can be concluded that when such glasses are worn, it is because the wearer has a tendency to be depressed or hypochondriacal.

Each of the following, if true, weakens the argument EXCEPT:

(A) Some people wear tinted glasses not because they choose to do so but because a medical condition of their eyes forces them to do so.
(B) Even a depressed or hypochondriacal person can have valid medical complaints, so a doctor should perform all the usual objective tests in diagnosing such persons.
(C) The confirmatory tests were not done for places such as western North America where the usual quality of light differs from that prevailing in Britain.
(D) Fashions with respect to wearing tinted glasses differ in different parts of the world.
(E) At the hospitals where the tests were given, patients who were admitted for conditions less ambiguous than heart pain or digestive distress did not show the relationship between tinted glasses and depression or hypochondria.

Source: Another Gmat Forum
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 May 2006
Posts: 186
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 0

Re: CR- Doctors in Britain have long suspected that patients [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2008, 19:07
1
This post received
KUDOS
(A) Some people wear tinted glasses not because they choose to do so but because a medical condition of their eyes forces them to do so.
Alternative reason hence weakens the conclusion
(C) The confirmatory tests were not done for places such as western North America where the usual quality of light differs from that prevailing in Britain.
Same and A.
(D) Fashions with respect to wearing tinted glasses differ in different parts of the world.
Weakens as it says there can be other reasons for wearing tinted glasses.
(E) At the hospitals where the tests were given, patients who were admitted for conditions less ambiguous than heart pain or digestive distress did not show the relationship between tinted glasses and depression or hypochondria.
Weakens the conclusion as it says the conclusion is not always true.


IMO B
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2008
Posts: 55
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: CR- Doctors in Britain have long suspected that patients [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2008, 19:10
humtum0 wrote:
Source: Another Gmat Forum

Doctors in Britain have long suspected that patients who wear tinted eyeglasses are abnormally prone to depression and hypochondria. Psychological tests given there to hospital patients admitted for physical complaints like heart pain and digestive distress confirmed such a relationship. Perhaps people whose relationship to the world is psychologically painful choose such glasses to reduce visual stimulation, which is perceived as irritating. At any rate, it can be concluded that when such glasses are worn, it is because the wearer has a tendency to be depressed or hypochondriacal.

Each of the following, if true, weakens the argument EXCEPT:

(A) Some people wear tinted glasses not because they choose to do so but because a medical condition of their eyes forces them to do so. >>> clearly weaken

(B) Even a depressed or hypochondriacal person can have valid medical complaints, so a doctor should perform all the usual objective tests in diagnosing such persons. >>> weaken: a person has a tendency to be depressed or hypochondriacal because of many reasons
C) The confirmatory tests were not done for places such as western North America where the usual quality of light differs from that prevailing in Britain. >>> weaken

(D) Fashions with respect to wearing tinted glasses differ in different parts of the world. >>> look good because it is out of scope

(E) At the hospitals where the tests were given, patients who were admitted for conditions less ambiguous than heart pain or digestive distress did not show the relationship between tinted glasses and depression or hypochondria.>>> weaken

My answer is D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Apr 2008
Posts: 452
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 1

Re: CR- Doctors in Britain have long suspected that patients [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2008, 01:17
humtum0 wrote:
Source: Another Gmat Forum

Doctors in Britain have long suspected that patients who wear tinted eyeglasses are abnormally prone to depression and hypochondria. Psychological tests given there to hospital patients admitted for physical complaints like heart pain and digestive distress confirmed such a relationship. Perhaps people whose relationship to the world is psychologically painful choose such glasses to reduce visual stimulation, which is perceived as irritating. At any rate, it can be concluded that when such glasses are worn, it is because the wearer has a tendency to be depressed or hypochondriacal.

Each of the following, if true, weakens the argument EXCEPT:

(A) Some people wear tinted glasses not because they choose to do so but because a medical condition of their eyes forces them to do so.

(B) Even a depressed or hypochondriacal person can have valid medical complaints, so a doctor should perform all the usual objective tests in diagnosing such persons.

(C) The confirmatory tests were not done for places such as western North America where the usual quality of light differs from that prevailing in Britain.

(D) Fashions with respect to wearing tinted glasses differ in different parts of the world.

(E) At the hospitals where the tests were given, patients who were admitted for conditions less ambiguous than heart pain or digestive distress did not show the relationship between tinted glasses and depression or hypochondria.


IMO D)
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1578
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 0

Re: CR- Doctors in Britain have long suspected that patients [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2008, 01:30
I will go for D. Others weaen the arguments except this one. How can it relate to the context in the question whether rest of the world follows the same fashion or different?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 207
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

Re: CR- Doctors in Britain have long suspected that patients [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2008, 10:31
I think it should be B
the conclusion is because people have depression or hypocondria people wear tinted glasses.

i dont see how B weakens this. The other close option D does that maybe people wear tinted glasses because fashion trends vary all over the world
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2008
Posts: 309
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: CR- Doctors in Britain have long suspected that patients [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2008, 15:17
Its seems that major Stake is for either B or D

my choice id D as its out of scope and cannot weaken/strengthen the argument.

B weakens the argument because it says that depression and hypo... are not the cause for wearing glasses
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2006
Posts: 146
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

Re: CR- Doctors in Britain have long suspected that patients [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2008, 18:58
OA is B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Sep 2009
Posts: 373
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 2

Re: CR- Doctors in Britain have long suspected that patients [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 08:33
Can anyone explain option c in detail. how it weakened the conclusion.

thanks in advance
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Mar 2009
Posts: 27
Location: India
Schools: London Business School
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: CR- Doctors in Britain have long suspected that patients [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 09:39
(C) The confirmatory tests were not done for places such as western North America where the usual quality of light differs from that prevailing in Britain.
This ans choice indicates that the quality of light, not depression, can be factor for wearing tinted glasses. The study was done only in Britain, not in North America, where the tests may have different result.
Hope this clarifies.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 589
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 292 [0], given: 20

Re: CR- Doctors in Britain have long suspected that patients [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 09:47
conclusion: "when such glasses are worn, it is because the wearer has a tendency to be depressed or hypochondriacal." That is, people wear glasses because of a medical condition (hypochondria)

"A" says: Some people wear tinted glasses not because they choose to do so but because a medical condition of their eyes forces them to do so.

Option A looks more like a paraphrase of the conclusion; so, how does A weaken the argument?
_________________

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2009
Posts: 57
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [3] , given: 13

Re: CR- Doctors in Britain have long suspected that patients [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 10:01
3
This post received
KUDOS
Close fight between B & D.

We CAN choose B over D for the following reason:
Conclusion says: Depressed or Hypochondriacal ----> Therefore, Wear glasses.
Now B says that there can be many reasons for a person being depressed or hypochondriacal, but that has NO bearing on the conclusion that a person should or should not wear glasses. Whatever maybe the reason for the depression, the conclusion suggests that wouldn't stop the person from wearing glasses.

Now D looks out of scope, though as it says Fashion is different in different parts of the world, it IS suggesting alternative reason for the person to wear tinted glasses. So the link between depression and tinted glasses gets weakened.

Well, just my 2 cents.

P.S: this is a question from PowerScore CR Bible, but I am not sure if the answer options were the same

R J
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2010
Posts: 196
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-27-2012
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 30

Re: CR- Doctors in Britain have long suspected that patients [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 10:15
i will opt D.
_________________

kudos me if you like my post.

Attitude determine everything.
all the best and God bless you.

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Mar 2010
Posts: 59
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 10

Reviews Badge
Re: CR- Doctors in Britain have long suspected that patients [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 11:22
Can anyone provide a good explanation as to why B is the correct answer? My thoughts led me to D, as the type of glasses worn (fashion) has nothing to do with why people where them.
Expert Post
15 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4877
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1157

Kudos [?]: 5383 [15] , given: 165

Re: CR- Doctors in Britain have long suspected that patients [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 11:33
15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
humtum0 wrote:
Doctors in Britain have long suspected that patients who wear tinted eyeglasses are abnormally prone to depression and hypochondria. Psychological tests given there to hospital patients admitted for physical complaints like heart pain and digestive distress confirmed such a relationship. Perhaps people whose relationship to the world is psychologically painful choose such glasses to reduce visual stimulation, which is perceived as irritating. At any rate, it can be concluded that when such glasses are worn, it is because the wearer has a tendency to be depressed or hypochondriacal.

Each of the following, if true, weakens the argument EXCEPT:

(A) Some people wear tinted glasses not because they choose to do so but because a medical condition of their eyes forces them to do so.
(B) Even a depressed or hypochondriacal person can have valid medical complaints, so a doctor should perform all the usual objective tests in diagnosing such persons.
(C) The confirmatory tests were not done for places such as western North America where the usual quality of light differs from that prevailing in Britain.
(D) Fashions with respect to wearing tinted glasses differ in different parts of the world.
(E) At the hospitals where the tests were given, patients who were admitted for conditions less ambiguous than heart pain or digestive distress did not show the relationship between tinted glasses and depression or hypochondria.

Source: Another Gmat Forum


There seems to be some confusion here so lets try and break it down:

First of all, I read the question stem: Each of the following, if true, weakens the argument EXCEPT:

So we are looking for four options that weaken the argument (to whatever extent, but they must weaken it)
In a weaken question, we focus on the conclusion of the argument. That is what we have to weaken.
Conclusion: when such glasses are worn, it is because the wearer has a tendency to be depressed or hypochondriacal.

A strong generic statement. "When people wear tinted glasses, it means they have a tendency to be depressed". Notice that the tests cited in the argument talk about Britain only. But the conclusion derived is generic and applicable to people around the world.

(A) Some people wear tinted glasses not because they choose to do so but because a medical condition of their eyes forces them to do so.
Weakens the conclusion. When people wear tinted glasses, it could be because they have an eye condition, not because they are depressed.

(B) Even a depressed or hypochondriacal person can have valid medical complaints, so a doctor should perform all the usual objective tests in diagnosing such persons.
Does not weaken the conclusion about why people wear tinted glasses.
Just says that depressed people could also have valid medical complaints.


(C) The confirmatory tests were not done for places such as western North America where the usual quality of light differs from that prevailing in Britain.
Weakens the conclusion. The conclusion doesn't say that this is the case only in Britain. It implies that this is the general theory applicable to the whole world. But people in other places e.g. NA, could be wearing tinted glasses, due to poor light quality.

(D) Fashions with respect to wearing tinted glasses differ in different parts of the world.
Weakens the conclusion. People may be wearing tinted glasses in different parts of the world because it is fashionable to do so. Not because they are depressed.

(E) At the hospitals where the tests were given, patients who were admitted for conditions less ambiguous than heart pain or digestive distress did not show the relationship between tinted glasses and depression or hypochondria.
Weakens the conclusion. It says that only one group of people (those who had ambiguous conditions) showed a relation between glasses and depression. Other people did not.

Answer (B).
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4877
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1157

Kudos [?]: 5383 [1] , given: 165

Re: CR- Doctors in Britain have long suspected that patients [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 11:43
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
And those of you who are still unhappy with (D), think why is it that you are ok with (C) but not with (D). If (D) were out of scope, wouldn't (C) be out of scope too?
Aren't they both presenting alternative reasons why people wear tinted glasses?
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2010
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR- Doctors in Britain have long suspected that patients [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 21:25
Can another way of looking at this be...
only B is a generic statement (in line with the conclusion) rest all have been bucketed into specific places/diseases.. ?

Can this be an approach to such confusing problems?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Jul 2010
Posts: 169
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

Re: CR- Doctors in Britain have long suspected that patients [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 22:03
vaskink wrote:
Can another way of looking at this be...
only B is a generic statement (in line with the conclusion) rest all have been bucketed into specific places/diseases.. ?

Can this be an approach to such confusing problems?


I would rely on the general approach of identifying the conclusion, and then finding the response that does not weaken the agrument as stated (does not weaken could mean strengthen or just not weaken or not strengthen and be a generic stmt as you mention above).

The approach you mentioned above will likely lead to inconsistent results and not pay dividends in other CR type questions.
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 500
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 73 [1] , given: 149

Re: CR- Doctors in Britain have long suspected that patients [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 06:03
1
This post received
KUDOS
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
humtum0 wrote:
Doctors in Britain have long suspected that patients who wear tinted eyeglasses are abnormally prone to depression and hypochondria. Psychological tests given there to hospital patients admitted for physical complaints like heart pain and digestive distress confirmed such a relationship. Perhaps people whose relationship to the world is psychologically painful choose such glasses to reduce visual stimulation, which is perceived as irritating. At any rate, it can be concluded that when such glasses are worn, it is because the wearer has a tendency to be depressed or hypochondriacal.

Each of the following, if true, weakens the argument EXCEPT:

(A) Some people wear tinted glasses not because they choose to do so but because a medical condition of their eyes forces them to do so.
(B) Even a depressed or hypochondriacal person can have valid medical complaints, so a doctor should perform all the usual objective tests in diagnosing such persons.
(C) The confirmatory tests were not done for places such as western North America where the usual quality of light differs from that prevailing in Britain.
(D) Fashions with respect to wearing tinted glasses differ in different parts of the world.
(E) At the hospitals where the tests were given, patients who were admitted for conditions less ambiguous than heart pain or digestive distress did not show the relationship between tinted glasses and depression or hypochondria.

Source: Another Gmat Forum


There seems to be some confusion here so lets try and break it down:

First of all, I read the question stem: Each of the following, if true, weakens the argument EXCEPT:

So we are looking for four options that weaken the argument (to whatever extent, but they must weaken it)
In a weaken question, we focus on the conclusion of the argument. That is what we have to weaken.
Conclusion: when such glasses are worn, it is because the wearer has a tendency to be depressed or hypochondriacal.

A strong generic statement. "When people wear tinted glasses, it means they have a tendency to be depressed". Notice that the tests cited in the argument talk about Britain only. But the conclusion derived is generic and applicable to people around the world.

(A) Some people wear tinted glasses not because they choose to do so but because a medical condition of their eyes forces them to do so.
Weakens the conclusion. When people wear tinted glasses, it could be because they have an eye condition, not because they are depressed.

(B) Even a depressed or hypochondriacal person can have valid medical complaints, so a doctor should perform all the usual objective tests in diagnosing such persons.
Does not weaken the conclusion about why people wear tinted glasses.
Just says that depressed people could also have valid medical complaints.


(C) The confirmatory tests were not done for places such as western North America where the usual quality of light differs from that prevailing in Britain.
Weakens the conclusion. The conclusion doesn't say that this is the case only in Britain. It implies that this is the general theory applicable to the whole world. But people in other places e.g. NA, could be wearing tinted glasses, due to poor light quality.

(D) Fashions with respect to wearing tinted glasses differ in different parts of the world.
Weakens the conclusion. People may be wearing tinted glasses in different parts of the world because it is fashionable to do so. Not because they are depressed.

(E) At the hospitals where the tests were given, patients who were admitted for conditions less ambiguous than heart pain or digestive distress did not show the relationship between tinted glasses and depression or hypochondria.
Weakens the conclusion. It says that only one group of people (those who had ambiguous conditions) showed a relation between glasses and depression. Other people did not.

Answer (B).

Hi Karishma , Arent you leaving open the possibility that the Light quality in North America could be stronger stimuli for depression and hypochondria.
You are assuming that Light quality in North America is less stimulating to Depression and wish to check whether People are out there still wear tinted eye glasses . If they are , then they could be wearing for reasons other than that the light stimulates depression .
What if the Light is more stimulating towards depression ? In that case , people wearing glasses doesnt prove anything.
This is confusing.
_________________

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4877
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1157

Kudos [?]: 5383 [0], given: 165

Re: CR- Doctors in Britain have long suspected that patients [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 09:02
Expert's post
mundasingh123 wrote:
Hi Karishma , Arent you leaving open the possibility that the Light quality in North America could be stronger stimuli for depression and hypochondria.
You are assuming that Light quality in North America is less stimulating to Depression and wish to check whether People are out there still wear tinted eye glasses . If they are , then they could be wearing for reasons other than that the light stimulates depression .
What if the Light is more stimulating towards depression ? In that case , people wearing glasses doesnt prove anything.
This is confusing.


Ok, go back to the argument. It says that the results of a British study support the hypothesis that people who wear tinted glasses are more prone to depression.
Conclusion: When such glasses are worn, it is because the wearer has a tendency to be depressed.

I want to weaken it.

C: The confirmatory tests were not done for places such as western North America where the usual quality of light differs from that prevailing in Britain.

We have no data whether such a relation between glasses and depression exists in other countries. Light quality in these other countries differs from Britain. So is it possible that in other countries, people wear glasses not because they are more prone to depression but because they want to protect their eyes? This is a possible alternative explanation for use of glasses in other countries. Can I then make a generic conclusion that when someone (anywhere in the world) wears glasses, he has higher tendency to be depressed? No, I cannot. Hence it weakens my conclusion.

Even if light quality causes depression in other countries (e.g. NA), it is irrelevant to my conclusion that wearing glasses makes a person more prone to depression.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: CR- Doctors in Britain have long suspected that patients   [#permalink] 07 Dec 2010, 09:02
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Doctors in Britain have long suspected that patients who vaivish1723 3 01 Jul 2009, 00:47
Doctors in Britain have long suspected that patients who vaivish1723 1 31 May 2009, 05:23
Doctors in Britain have long suspected that patients who gmatavenue 6 04 Feb 2009, 22:07
Questions 22-23 Doctors in Britain have long suspected that WinWinMBA 0 27 May 2005, 11:32
Several studies have found that the coronary patients who prasad_bgv 1 09 Jan 2005, 20:55
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Doctors in Britain have long suspected that patients who

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 34 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.