Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Doctors in the early 20th century commonly mistook

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 33

Doctors in the early 20th century commonly mistook [#permalink] New post 26 May 2012, 08:15
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

67% (01:27) correct 33% (00:38) wrong based on 191 sessions
Doctors in the early 20th century commonly mistook endometriosis as simple menstrual cramps and informed women that there was no medical cure for their condition.

A. endometriosis as simple menstrual cramps
B. endometriosis for simple menstrual cramps
C. simple menstrual cramps for endometriosis
D. endometriosis to be simple menstrual cramping
E. endometriosis and simple menstrual cramps
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Kaplan 800 - SC Meaning Endometriosis [#permalink] New post 26 May 2012, 08:16
guys my question is how do you differentiate between choices B &C. How do you decide what the original meaning of the sentence was?
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 520 Q34 V27
GMAT 2: 550 Q V
GMAT 3: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.01
WE: Information Technology (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Kaplan 800 - SC Meaning Endometriosis [#permalink] New post 26 May 2012, 18:15
The original sentence is referring to a miss diagnosis for Endometriosis. Choice C is referring to a miss dianosis for menstrual cramps. This is a complete change in meaning.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Kaplan 800 - SC Meaning Endometriosis [#permalink] New post 26 May 2012, 20:52
@ashish8 how did you decide the what the original meaning is? I mean is it that whats mentioned in option1 is the basis for the original meaning. Because grammatically option C is right as well!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.98
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 19

Re: Kaplan 800 - SC Meaning Endometriosis [#permalink] New post 27 May 2012, 03:36
This post received
KUDOS
vibhav wrote:
@ashish8 how did you decide the what the original meaning is? I mean is it that whats mentioned in option1 is the basis for the original meaning. Because grammatically option C is right as well!

Let us think from the exam maker's perspective. The exam has to be "domain neutral". There are a lot of people who have no clue about endometriosis who are appearing for the GMAT. Therefore GMAT wouldn't test your knowledge of medicine.

Even though B and C are grammatically correct, C clearly flips the meaning. And if this has to be the right answer, GMAT has started testing people's ability to know diseases/medical conditions. I would say that is not right.

So keep the original meaning the same and pick the grammatically best choice. In which case, B is the best answer.

Hope that helps.

If I did make a valid point, would you please consider giving me a kudo. Thanks.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 2

Re: Kaplan 800 - SC Meaning Endometriosis [#permalink] New post 27 May 2012, 03:44
This post received
KUDOS
Idiom: Mistake X for Y

So this brings our choices down to B or C. To keep the original meaning unchanged make B the only choice.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Kaplan 800 - SC Meaning Endometriosis [#permalink] New post 27 May 2012, 04:23
Hmm so just as a general rule, the meaning as suggested in the original sentence (i.e. option A) should be our guiding line?
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 520 Q34 V27
GMAT 2: 550 Q V
GMAT 3: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.01
WE: Information Technology (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Kaplan 800 - SC Meaning Endometriosis [#permalink] New post 27 May 2012, 04:43
vibhav wrote:
Hmm so just as a general rule, the meaning as suggested in the original sentence (i.e. option A) should be our guiding line?

Correct. The original sentence might have grammatical errors, but it should never be to a point where you can't understand what the author is saying.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
WE: Consulting (Internet and New Media)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: Kaplan 800 - SC Meaning Endometriosis [#permalink] New post 27 May 2012, 05:31
Guys, i would like to raise a point here.

While selecting between B & C, we need to take a look at the meaning.

Now, B says that doctors mistook endometriosis for simple cramps and informed women that there was no medical cure for their condition. It means that doctors informed that there was no cure for simple cramps, sounds wrong to me. If it was "no medical cure required for their condition", then this would have been fine.

On the other hand, C says doctors mistook simple cramps for endometriosis and informed women that there was no medical cure for their condition, means that no cure was there for endometriosis, which is possible for a medical condition at the starting of 20th century.

So, C sounds better to me.

Can anyone tell me where i am going wrong?

Thx
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Kaplan 800 - SC Meaning Endometriosis [#permalink] New post 27 May 2012, 07:25
tech3 both sentences are grammatically correct. Whats wrong is our pre-concieved notion that the disease E is more complicated. What C says is that E is incurable whereas B says that there is not solution simple menstrual cramps and that its insignificant. Thus they missed giving a solution for the actual disease E. (its like a doctor says there its just common cold for which there is no cure and you recover automatically but it turn out to be pneumonia! lol) I hope you get the pic!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 4

Re: Kaplan 800 - SC Meaning Endometriosis [#permalink] New post 27 May 2012, 07:57
In Q it says "X as Y"
Between B and C, to keep the meaning same, better to choose "X for Y" rather than "Y for X"

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 40

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Kaplan 800 - SC Meaning Endometriosis [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 22:41
vibhav wrote:
Doctors in the early 20th century commonly mistook endometriosis as simple menstrual cramps and informed women that there was no medical cure for their condition.

A. endometriosis as simple menstrual cramps
B. endometriosis for simple menstrual cramps
C. simple menstrual cramps for endometriosis
D. endometriosis to be simple menstrual cramping
E. endometriosis and simple menstrual cramps

This is only the meaning problem. If we think the non-underlined part, "no medical cure for their condition". This part cannot be applied to "simple mentrual cramps" in logical structure of sentence.

This part should be applied to the endometriosis, so choice B is the correct form in term of meaning.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kaplan 800 - SC Meaning Endometriosis [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2012, 23:18
gomennassai wrote:
vibhav wrote:

Let us think from the exam maker's perspective. The exam has to be "domain neutral". There are a lot of people who have no clue about endometriosis who are appearing for the GMAT. Therefore GMAT wouldn't test your knowledge of medicine.

Even though B and C are grammatically correct, C clearly flips the meaning. And if this has to be the right answer, GMAT has started testing people's ability to know diseases/medical conditions. I would say that is not right.

So keep the original meaning the same and pick the grammatically best choice. In which case, B is the best answer.

Hope that helps.

Thanks this clarifies a lot.. Even I selected option c here :)

Best
Vaibhav

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, Thanks

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 12

Re: Doctors in the early 20th century commonly mistook [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2012, 00:28
mistook X for Y is the idiom tested here.
B wins
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Doctors in the early 20th century commonly mistook [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2012, 07:38
Yes B is the original answer - I too chose C, as it seemed to be the correct logic. This question is flawed IMO.

Doctors in the early twentieth century commonly mistook (clearly we are talking about doctors from the past mistaking a common condition, such as cramps, a misdiagnosis) and to imply there was no cure for their medical condition, meaning endometriosis - not menstrual cramps. Considering C was the only split, I knew it would most likely be wrong - but I have a hard time accepting B as the answer even though it is grammatically correct, I feel like it is logically incorrect. Help?!
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1429 [0], given: 245

Re: Doctors in the early 20th century commonly mistook [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2012, 10:19
Expert's post
So, let’s go through some story-telling to understand the meaning in its perspective.

Not long ago, just in the early 20th century, there was a disease known endometriosis that affected women, but unfortunately doctors did not know that disease either by its name or its unique symptoms or its remedy. They assumed that it was simple menstrual cramps and misinformed the patients. Obviously, they could not have mistaken cramps for endometriosis, a condition that they were not even aware. So C is illogical

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Mannheim '15
GPA: 3
WE: Human Resources (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 19

Re: Doctors in the early 20th century commonly mistook [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2013, 02:45
Answer should be C.
It is common sense to conclude that a doctor (in early 20th century) would not have a solution or cure for a complicated condition (Endometriosis) rather than a simple cramp. Therefore, the doctor would have mistook a simple cramp for Endometriosis and NOT vice-versa.

Last edited by Dhairya275 on 07 Sep 2013, 09:02, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Doctors in the early 20th century commonly mistook [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2013, 09:45
Dhairya275 wrote:
Answer should be C.
It is common sense to conclude that a doctor (in early 20th century) would not have a solution or cure for a complicated condition (Endometriosis) rather than a simple cramp. Therefore, the doctor would have mistook Endometriosis for a simple cramp and NOT vice-versa.

You meant B. Doctor mistook Endometriosis for simple cramp and not the other way around.

--It's one thing to get defeated, but another to accept it.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Mannheim '15
GPA: 3
WE: Human Resources (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 19

Re: Doctors in the early 20th century commonly mistook [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2013, 09:04
ramannanda9 wrote:
Dhairya275 wrote:
Answer should be C.
It is common sense to conclude that a doctor (in early 20th century) would not have a solution or cure for a complicated condition (Endometriosis) rather than a simple cramp. Therefore, the doctor would have mistook Endometriosis for a simple cramp and NOT vice-versa.

You meant B. Doctor mistook Endometriosis for simple cramp and not the other way around.

Oops !! i meant the other way ...Typo error. Edited !

Thanks.
Re: Doctors in the early 20th century commonly mistook   [#permalink] 07 Sep 2013, 09:04