Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:52 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Does a 710 GMAT score, but with Q45 look bad? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
mzuberi wrote:
Hello,

I took the GMAT recently and scored a 660 (Q49, V32, IR 7, AWA 6) after 2 months of prep and working full time. This came as a disappointment and surprise, since on my 4 GMAC practice exams I was consistently scoring ~710's (Q49, V40). I accepted this as test day nerves or a verbal fluke, and quickly rescheduled another test for 3 weeks later. I just took that test yesterday, and walked away with a 710. I would normally be very happy, but the uneven breakdown is a bit concerning (Q45, V42, IR 8), and I would greatly appreciate any advice you can offer.

Will this low of a quant score (60th percentile) seriously hurt my chances if i'm only applying to top 15 schools? I believe i've proven my quantitative proficiency through my consulting work experience, engineering undergrad background, and the Q49 I got on my first attempt (although I understand school's only consider the highest score you submit), but i've read some programs have informal 'cutoffs' around the ~70th percentile.

It hurts to even ask this question, since the thought of more studying while working and traveling transcon every week is miserable, but do you guys think I should consider another re-take to get a Q score closer to the 80th percentile, if i'm only applying to top 15 schools?

For context:
Work experience: 4 years well known mid tier strategy consultancy
Undergrad: 3.3GPA, BS in Industrial Engineering, honors graduate

Don't worry about the breakdown. It matters far far less than the main score. If you are applying to Top 15 schools only, your GMAT is a touch low. But at this point it might just be worth your while to give it a shot and aim high, and if it doesn't work out, only reconsider a GMAT retake in that case.

Best,
JF
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Does a 710 GMAT score, but with Q45 look bad? [#permalink]