Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 20:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

does a job like this basically guarantee top MBA admission?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

does a job like this basically guarantee top MBA admission? [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2013, 21:14
Okay, so this is a very interesting case that I've recently come to know of. A good friend of mine (smart guy, entrepreneurial, etc.) came out of a top undergrad engineering program (not Ivy League, but the equivalent) and landed a job with a billionaire investor and CEO (that most people have heard of) right out of college....as get this...the billionaire's Chief of Staff lol. No idea how he pulled it off, but I'd say this kid has got his **** together haha. I haven't talked to him since high school, but recently caught up with him over Facebook which is how I found out about this.

Anyways, I was chatting with him recently on what his future plans are, and he said he may just stick on at the job if he does well, go out on his own, or maybe go get an MBA. While I think getting an MBA is useless when he already has a job that gives him exposure and connections like the one he has right now, it did make me think.....does having that job basically mean he can get into any MBA school he wants to (Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, etc.)? I know MBA schools look at your undergrad school, GPA, GMAT score, and work experience, all of which he has great qualifications. But, a job like this straight out of undergrad where he's working for a very famous and wealthy billionaire businessman...is like a icing a foot thick on top of the cake lol. I'd assume MBA schools would be scrambling over him to let him in. Obviously, I didn't mention these thoughts of mine to him, but can anyone here comment on this? haha. Obviously kind of a rare/unique case here. Would love to hear any thoughts! (and wish I could've gotten a job like this straight out of college....or even when I go into my 30's and 40's lol)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 533 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: does a job like this basically guarantee top MBA admission? [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2013, 21:46
Expert's post
We all wish we could have gotten a job like this out of college!

From what you write here, this dude seems like a one in a million case, and especially if he will apply with the support of this billionaire, he will be a more than excellent candidate. He should probably not settle for anything out of Top 5 (unless he has reasons to prefer another school).

That's one lucky dude...

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 40

Re: does a job like this basically guarantee top MBA admission? [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 10:08
While having that job is great, you have to keep in mind that it's really just an indicator of the fact that he was qualified enough to be able to get that job.

He could probably go to a great MBA program because of his ability to demonstrate the same traits that he had to demonstrate to get that job (IE. Intelligence, hard working, leadership, charisma, etc..)
Intern
Intern

Re: does a job like this basically guarantee top MBA admission? [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2013, 08:07
JonAdmissionado wrote:
We all wish we could have gotten a job like this out of college!

From what you write here, this dude seems like a one in a million case, and especially if he will apply with the support of this billionaire, he will be a more than excellent candidate. He should probably not settle for anything out of Top 5 (unless he has reasons to prefer another school).

That's one lucky dude...

Yup, I doubt that he would haha. I certainly wouldn't if I were in his position. I just wonder if he should even do it....an MBA might not be worthit in his case I think.
Intern
Intern

Re: does a job like this basically guarantee top MBA admission? [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2013, 08:08
dave785 wrote:
While having that job is great, you have to keep in mind that it's really just an indicator of the fact that he was qualified enough to be able to get that job.

He could probably go to a great MBA program because of his ability to demonstrate the same traits that he had to demonstrate to get that job (IE. Intelligence, hard working, leadership, charisma, etc..)

You make a great point. The same things that got him the job could get him into those MBA schools. I hadn't thought about that aspect explicitly till now.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Accounting (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: does a job like this basically guarantee top MBA admission? [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2013, 09:15
First let me just say that I don't believe your friend story at all.. I think he is bluffing big time..

Second regardless if you have the best job in the world you still need your GPA and GMAT scores to back up your application. I don't think he is guaranteed in a top 20 school much less a top 5 without knowing more information about him..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Intern
Intern

Re: does a job like this basically guarantee top MBA admission? [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2013, 11:47
SuperMarioVT wrote:
First let me just say that I don't believe your friend story at all.. I think he is bluffing big time..

Second regardless if you have the best job in the world you still need your GPA and GMAT scores to back up your application. I don't think he is guaranteed in a top 20 school much less a top 5 without knowing more information about him..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Lol if you say so. If it's any consolation, it's on his LinkedIn, and he has quite a few "connections" added at this new job from what I can see. It's legit...unless of course, all those employees are just helping him fake it all? Awesome conspiracy theory lol.

As for your second point, I agree. But then again, he's been scoring in the top 1%+ his whole life on exams, etc. I think he'd be fine ha. I think my other point was that if you have the "best job in the world," why would you ever go get an MBA? lol
Expert Post
Admissionado

GMAT Tests User
Re: does a job like this basically guarantee top MBA admission? [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2013, 00:45
Expert's post
realtorz wrote:

As for your second point, I agree. But then again, he's been scoring in the top 1%+ his whole life on exams, etc. I think he'd be fine ha. I think my other point was that if you have the "best job in the world," why would you ever go get an MBA? lol

To get a best best job???
;)

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 443 [1] , given: 452

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: does a job like this basically guarantee top MBA admission? [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2013, 13:08
This post received
KUDOS
JonAdmissionado wrote:
realtorz wrote:

;)

you mean bestest? :)

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Expert Post
Admissionado

GMAT Tests User
Re: does a job like this basically guarantee top MBA admission? [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2013, 23:48
Expert's post
jumsumtak wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:
realtorz wrote:

;)

you mean bestest? :)

No no.. I meant bestestest...
uh!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Re: does a job like this basically guarantee top MBA admission?   [#permalink] 04 Jul 2013, 23:48