Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 00:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

does amount of time in new designation matters

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 20

Reviews Badge
does amount of time in new designation matters [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 06:19
I would like to know whether the amount of time i spend in promoted designation matters. If yes then i should change company and get promotion right away...

Last edited by vikram4689 on 13 Jul 2012, 07:20, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

Re: does amount of time in new designation matters [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 08:06
Vikram,
It's true that business schools see promotions as evidence of atypical career progress, so in that sense an applicant who can point to promotions (especially promotions ahead of the pace) is at some advantage. At the same time, schools also understand that sometimes there are promotion freezes and so a lack of promotion is not a reflection of the applicant's career potential. The question I would ask you is whether you really want to leave your current company. To leave a job you like solely for the sake of potentially improving your chances of admission to business school is not prudent. Better to explain to the schools (a) why your company is not promoting and (b) all the ways in which you've shown atypical career growth within your current title. Finally, if you have been assured you will get a promotion this December, then you can tell the schools that the promotion is coming (have your recommenders confirm this). It's OK that you won't start the new role until the applications are submitted.

--Paul S. Bodine, http://www.paulsbodine.com, Great Applications for Business School

vikram4689 wrote:
This months marks my completion of 3 years of professional life (i.e 3yrs experience) and hasn't had 1st promotion since i joined and same is the case with all my peers at my company. However, my college mates, in another company, have received promotion in April-2012 but promotions at my company, which were due this month, are delayed till December-2012. I would be applying in R2 which is in January-2013. I would like to know whether the amount of time i spend in promoted designation matters. If yes then i should change company and get promotion right away...

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Re: does amount of time in new designation matters   [#permalink] 12 Jul 2012, 08:06