Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 12:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Does anyone else find it easier reading questions from OG...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 137

Does anyone else find it easier reading questions from OG... [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2013, 08:08
...Than from a computer screen?

I don't know if it's just in my head, but it feels like it is much easier to read the questions and comprehend from the OG as opposed to on screen like the GMAT Prep software. Has anyone else seen this problem? I also find myself squinting a lot more when reading from on screen. Would love you guys' insight.

If my post has contributed to your learning or teaching in any way, feel free to hit the kudos button ^_^

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 432

Premium Member
Re: Does anyone else find it easier reading questions from OG... [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2013, 08:36
Expert's post
For many of us, reading a hard copy version is more comfortable than reading something on a computer screen for an extended period of time. Most of us are used to reading stuff or taking tests in print. In short, what you are experiencing is natural.

It is good, though, that you noticed this issue and made note of it. You have found a weakness and can now work on it to improve! For starters, definitely do all practice test session using a standard chair and table (beds, couches, and fluffy chairs should not be involved). Another method that might help is to prop the OG books upright in order to mimic the way the questions are presented on a computer screen. For me, another good adjustment method was practicing with Jeff Sackmann's math sets (PDF format) and GMATClub tests (online).

You want to be completely comfortable with taking the GMAT under actual test conditions, so do everything possible to adjust in order to make this distraction go away.

Hope this helps! :)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 137

Re: Does anyone else find it easier reading questions from OG... [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2013, 16:46
BM wrote:
For many of us, reading a hard copy version is more comfortable than reading something on a computer screen for an extended period of time. Most of us are used to reading stuff or taking tests in print. In short, what you are experiencing is natural.

It is good, though, that you noticed this issue and made note of it. You have found a weakness and can now work on it to improve! For starters, definitely do all practice test session using a standard chair and table (beds, couches, and fluffy chairs should not be involved). Another method that might help is to prop the OG books upright in order to mimic the way the questions are presented on a computer screen. For me, another good adjustment method was practicing with Jeff Sackmann's math sets (PDF format) and GMATClub tests (online).

You want to be completely comfortable with taking the GMAT under actual test conditions, so do everything possible to adjust in order to make this distraction go away.

Hope this helps! :)

Thanks for your response. I think propping up the GMAT book is a really good idea. Would you recommend doing more problems on screen though or just stick to the OG?

Also a question about the the GMATClub tests, do you think they'll help someone improve in quant that's scoring in the 500s? My scores are in the low to mid 500s and I really want to improve my quant score.

If my post has contributed to your learning or teaching in any way, feel free to hit the kudos button ^_^

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 432

Premium Member
Re: Does anyone else find it easier reading questions from OG... [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2013, 17:09
Expert's post
DelSingh wrote:
Would you recommend doing more problems on screen though or just stick to the OG?

Finish the OG books, for sure. Extra "screen practice" is also recommended. There is a sufficient amount of questions available for that.

DelSingh wrote:
Also a question about the the GMATClub tests, do you think they'll help someone improve in quant that's scoring in the 500s?

I would not recommend GMATClub tests for someone scoring in that range. Look into the GMATClub forums for questions at the 500-level for extra online practice as well as Jeff Sackmann's Fundamental sets.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 368 [1] , given: 182

Re: Does anyone else find it easier reading questions from OG... [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2013, 20:29
This post received
KUDOS
TIP: If you are reading OG or other GMAT book, dont read by keeping it horizontal. Keep the book vertical while reading or solving problems, as if you are reading from the computer screen.

Go to amazon.com or other sites and search for "Reading Book stand Document Holder". There are numerous out there with adjustable angle/height.

Thanks,
PraPon

Tough 700+ Level RCs: Passage1 | Passage2 | Passage3 | Passage4 | Passage5 | Passage6 | Passage7
Reading Comprehension notes: Click here
VOTE: vote-best-gmat-practice-tests-excluding-gmatprep-144859.html
PowerScore CR Bible - Official Guide 13 Questions Set Mapped: Click here

Re: Does anyone else find it easier reading questions from OG...   [#permalink] 06 Mar 2013, 20:29