Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 03:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Does anyone have any tips for Evaluate questions?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 543

Does anyone have any tips for Evaluate questions? [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2013, 19:21
I seem to struggle with these questions and I am pretty comfortable with other question stems any pointers / tips or could someone please provide examples on how to solve them effectively! Thanks

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Expert Post
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 12

Re: Does anyone have any tips for Evaluate questions? [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2013, 09:04
Expert's post
Hi,

Evaluate questions are similar to other assumption based questions in that figuring out the assumptions (the things that need to be true in order for the argument to be valid) really helps in solving the question. You do not have to think about assumptions in a formal way but could also focus on understanding what added info helps the argument and what added info hurts the argument. Overall, having a solid understanding of the components of the argument (premises, conclusions) and how they fit together is critical for success.

So let's take a simple example:

Fact: My furniture company will sell 1,000,000 units of our new chair

Fact: Each chair will sell for 1,000,000

What is something that you need to know in order to say yes or no to investing in these chairs??

We are selling a ton of chairs. They sell for a ton of money. BUT we don't know: how much it costs to produce them

You want to put yourself in the mindset of a corporate boardroom where someone is presenting a new product idea. You need to be the annoying smart guy who is pointing out the unknowns that need to be known in order to say yes or no to the idea. This is similar to a strengthen/weaken question in that the question if answered in one direction should strengthen while if answered in the opposite direction should weaken.

One way to understand these unknowns is to examine what the assumptions are that make the argument work. For the chair example, provided that you want to make a profit, the assumption is that the chairs cost less than 1,000,000 to create so that you can earn a profit. If you can figure out the how the argument is strengthened/weakened you can also figure out the questions that you need answered to evaluate that argument.

Let me know if you need more advice on this subject.

Happy Studies,

HG.

"It is a curious property of research activity that after the problem has been solved the solution seems obvious. This is true not only for those who have not previously been acquainted with the problem, but also for those who have worked over it for years." -Dr. Edwin Land

GMAT Sample Questions to assess your GMAT Quant.

If you found my post useful KUDOS are much appreciated.

IMPROVE YOUR READING COMPREHENSION with the ECONOMIST READING COMPREHENSION CHALLENGE:

Here is the first set along with some strategies for approaching this work: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-economist-reading-comprehension-challenge-151479.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 14

Re: Does anyone have any tips for Evaluate questions? [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2013, 13:52
fozzzy wrote:
I seem to struggle with these questions and I am pretty comfortable with other question stems any pointers / tips or could someone please provide examples on how to solve them effectively! Thanks

First we have to understand what is being evaluated. We are trying to evaluate an assumption the author uses to draw his conclusion.Our aim is to find a two way statement that is if the assumption is valid it will strengthen the argument to some extent and if the assumption is not valid then the argument will be weakened. First you need to look for key words like 'Evaluate","Determine" and recognise the question type.Next step is to identify the conclusion and premise and brainstorm assumptions.The correct answer choice will both strengthen and weaken the argument to an extent.

Shouvik
http://www.Edvento.com
admin@edvento.com

Re: Does anyone have any tips for Evaluate questions?   [#permalink] 03 Mar 2013, 13:52