Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 01:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Does anyone here have a job they really can't talk aboout?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Does anyone here have a job they really can't talk aboout? [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2008, 11:56
Man, I am having huge issues in writing my essays, since due to various security issues I can't really talk about my job. I can't talk about any specifics about my job nor reveal who my client is, thus I am having to resort to using huge pie-in-the-sky generalizations in describing my job, which makes everything look really really bad. Even though I will be leaving this job soon, ethically, I still can't talk about it. My current supervisor, who is writing my rec letter, is also not willing to write about specific tasks.

Just wondering how B-schools will be receptive to the "I can't really talk about my job" line.

Does anyone else have this issue? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Does anyone here have a job they really can't talk aboout? [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2008, 12:20
Hi - you are probably one of the few people who would find a consultant helpful - most consultants have likely seen it all and will know how to present your case in the best light. If I were you, I would include the fact that you cannot talk about your job in an optional essay or additional information section.

And oh, the title of your post is interesting :)
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Does anyone here have a job they really can't talk aboout? [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2008, 12:45
So....

What do you do?
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Does anyone here have a job they really can't talk aboout? [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2008, 13:36
Yeah, I can see how your position makes writing essays difficult. It seems like the best essays are personal, with lots of detail.

It might be worth getting a free consultation from a few consultants. I've never used them, but Precision Essay seems to be pretty good. Check out their thread on the business week forums.

Even if you don't actually hire them, they may be able to give you some good pointers.

RF

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Does anyone here have a job they really can't talk aboout? [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2008, 13:50
Thanks for the input guys.

Yeah, I've thought of hiring admin consultants, but it's still kind of a Catch-22 situation. The way I see it admin consultants are kind of like lawyers, for them to do their best in helping you, you need to tell them everything about your situation. Well, obviously, I can't do that. It would be great if I can tell them about what I do, who I work for, etc and have them craft a suitable vague essay, but again i can't even go that far.
Manager
Manager
Schools: The School that shall not be named
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Does anyone here have a job they really can't talk aboout? [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2008, 13:57
Ya, I cannot talk about my midnight cowboy position. :oops:

In all seriousness, I think you are in a bit of a pickle here since providing examples are extremely important, and providing details for make-believe story is something you cannot do right now. Can you figure out a way of telling your story while not mentioning any names? Maybe that will be OK....

明日やろうばかやろう

24 wrote:
Your East Coast bias is worse than ESPN.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 693 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Does anyone here have a job they really can't talk aboout? [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2008, 15:18
My job was like that...security clearance stuff and high level data. Its best to go with generalizations, you can talk about functions, and stuff just not specifics. If you have a security officer pass stuff through them. During interviews be up front at the start of your interview. You can definitely answer behavioral parts and can give general answers...I think interviewers will understand you cant give up government data.

Not sure the same would hold true for a confidential work for a company. I know consultants who arent supposed to talk about who clients are and what they did but used that stuff in essays and interviews. remember this isnt going to get published. If you wont get arrested talking about it dont worry.

PM if you want to talk more...knowing at least where you work would help. I know some other folks in situations similar to mine who worked in some areas that may be similar to yours.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Intern
Intern

Re: Does anyone here have a job they really can't talk aboout? [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2008, 15:26
river,

I'll be sending you a PM. Thanks
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Does anyone here have a job they really can't talk aboout? [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2008, 15:37
Don't you think it's at least worthwhile to ask the consultants what your options are? I mean, it won't cost you anything.

In fact, if I remember correctly, there was a person in the Precision Essay thread that was a member of the Israeli Defense Force, but in a highly sensitive position. She wasn't able to talk about any of her best stories. Great profile though.

A lot of leadership has to do with personal interactions, business details aren't necessary. Write a story, keep the details to a minimum, change details if necessary, then write an explanation in the optional essay.

I'm sure you're not the only person whose been in this position.

RF

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 693 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Does anyone here have a job they really can't talk aboout? [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2008, 15:47
During applications they really dont care what you do at work so much as how you do it. I wrote nothing specific about the stuff I did at work...general terms and that was it. In a way its actually nice since you arent tempted to get off the topic about selling yourself and your skills.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Director
Director
Schools: Harvard '11
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: Does anyone here have a job they really can't talk aboout? [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2008, 17:53
i'm writing in very general terms (work in aviation), both to escape any "can i really tell them this?" questions and to focus the essays more on general lessons I learned.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 1545 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Does anyone here have a job they really can't talk aboout? [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2008, 18:47
I understand that there are limitations, but rather than name clients, why not just say "The US Government" or "a large defense contractor with revenues in excess of $XB" ? And rather than say, "When my team had to develop software intended to tap into high level routers across AT&T so that the patriot act guys can spy on data", why not just say "My team and I were tasked with developing challenging software related to national security. Although I can't discuss specifics, I can say that my team was instrumental in creating some of the most important national security software in use today."

Finally, if its really is that bad - and I'd venture that probably isn't quite so bad - I say explain it in your optional essay.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Does anyone here have a job they really can't talk aboout? [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2008, 19:17
hey if you work for SIAC, just mention that is CIA Spelled backwards.

rhyme wrote:
I understand that there are limitations, but rather than name clients, why not just say "The US Government" or "a large defense contractor with revenues in excess of $XB" ? And rather than say, "When my team had to develop software intended to tap into high level routers across AT&T so that the patriot act guys can spy on data", why not just say "My team and I were tasked with developing challenging software related to national security. Although I can't discuss specifics, I can say that my team was instrumental in creating some of the most important national security software in use today."

Finally, if its really is that bad - and I'd venture that probably isn't quite so bad - I say explain it in your optional essay.
Re: Does anyone here have a job they really can't talk aboout?   [#permalink] 10 Sep 2008, 19:17