Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 01:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Does it look bad to take your GMAT in undergrad?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.79
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Does it look bad to take your GMAT in undergrad? [#permalink] New post 01 May 2013, 15:53
I'm a junior in college, will be graduating in December and I just took my GMATs. The website says that my score will last until 2018, which is the year I plan on applying to business schools. Will M7 schools look down on the fact that I took the GMAT so early?

I was able to squeak by with a 710, q83% v79%, higher than any practice test I've taken, so I will not take it again.
Also, right now 710 is 92nd percentile, but is going to trend down to maybe 90th percentile by 2018?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Chat Moderator
Schools: Johnson '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 57

Premium Member
Re: Does it look bad to take your GMAT in undergrad? [#permalink] New post 01 May 2013, 16:26
No. Why would it look bad?

Schools won't care as long as the score is valid, and if anything I recommend people take the GMAT earlier rather than later - it only gets harder...

My Applicant Blog: http://hamm0.wordpress.com/

Intern
Intern

Re: Does it look bad to take your GMAT in undergrad? [#permalink] New post 01 May 2013, 17:40
hamm0 wrote:

Schools won't care as long as the score is valid, and if anything I recommend people take the GMAT earlier rather than later - it only gets harder...

Would they consider that it's much easier to get a higher score in UG compared to when working full time? I don't think I could get anything close to my score again if I were working full time and I'm worried that b-schools would consider that.
1 KUDOS received
Chat Moderator
Schools: Johnson '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 195 [1] , given: 57

Premium Member
Re: Does it look bad to take your GMAT in undergrad? [#permalink] New post 01 May 2013, 17:45
This post received
KUDOS
ApacheChief5 wrote:
hamm0 wrote:

Would they consider that it's much easier to get a higher score in UG compared to when working full time? I don't think I could get anything close to my score again if I were working full time and I'm worried that b-schools would consider that.

No they won't. They don't care if you took the GMAT 2 days before submitting your app, or 4.9 years ago.

My Applicant Blog: http://hamm0.wordpress.com/

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.22

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: Does it look bad to take your GMAT in undergrad? [#permalink] New post 01 May 2013, 22:21
The only downside I can see is that if you don't get accepted to any schools by 2018 and decide to re-apply in 2019.... well, you'd have to retake.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 9

Re: Does it look bad to take your GMAT in undergrad? [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 06:26
This post received
KUDOS
ApacheChief5 -

Don't spend your energy worrying about this issue. As long as a GMAT score is valid (ie, within the 5 years), it is an admissible score for an MBA.

I was previously the Director of MBA Admissions at a top 30 program. I often had undergraduate students come by my office to ask if they could be admitted to the program. After I told them to come back after they had 3-5 years of professional experience, I always advised them to take the GMAT while they were enrolled as an undergraduate student. You're in an academic lifestyle, and you take tests routinely. This is the optimal time to take the GMAT.

When I was applying for my PhD program, I had to take the GRE after 12 years of no academic work. I found it extremely challenging to re-teach myself mathematics and grammar to prepare for the exam.

I have another piece of advice for you as you plan for pursuing an MBA in the future. Go into this process with confidence and strength. Don't assume the worst of a situation, and don't be apologetic for taking the GMAT while you are an undergraduate student.

Good luck!

Wendy

Wendy

Wendy Flynn
15 Years as Director of MBA Admissions - Now Working For the Applicants as the MBA Admissions Coach
Wendy Flynn is the MBA Admissions Coach, providing comprehensive MBA admissions consulting services. As the former Director of MBA Admissions for 15 years at a top-30 MBA pgoram, Wendy holds deep expertise in admissions issues for Full-Time, Executive and Professional (Part-Time) MBA Programs. Through her blog, MBA Expert Insights, she brings the view of the Director of MBA admissions to MBA applicants and others.

WendyLFlynn89@gmail.com
Web: http://MBAAdmissionsCoach.com
MBA Expert Insights Blog: http://www.mbaadmissionscoach.com/blog/
Facebook: http://Facebook.com/MBAAdmissionsCoach
Twitter: http://www.Twitter.com/WendyLFlynn
Member of the AIGAC, Association of International Graduate Admissions Counselors

Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Does it look bad to take your GMAT in undergrad? [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 06:27
Expert's post
Not an issue...just remember when it expires so you don't have to retake!

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Does it look bad to take your GMAT in undergrad? [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 13:02
Thanks Wendy! That's one part of my MBA applications checked off for good now
Re: Does it look bad to take your GMAT in undergrad?   [#permalink] 02 May 2013, 13:02