Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 14:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Does it make a big difference if one leaves his/her job

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Does it make a big difference if one leaves his/her job [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2009, 22:16
Hi All,

I am applicant to B schools for fall 2010. I got a acore of 720 on the GMAT. I have a work experience of ~2 years in UBS Investment Bank as a Junior Analyst. I worked at Ubs from June 2007 to April 2009 and since then i have been unemployed. I chose to leave my job to give full attention and focus to my preparation for GMAT.

Is it a big negative or a disadvantageous position to be not employed and to leave the current employment section in the application blank? Will it impact my application heavily.

Please give me some guidance on this, i am very worried about how will this work. I have to earn an MBA degree soon. I have set high goals for myself.

Please help me out.

Waiting for an early response.

Thanks All,
Swati
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Ross Class of 2012
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Does it make a big difference if one leaves his/her job [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2009, 16:32
swatikhurana wrote:
Hi All,

I am applicant to B schools for fall 2010. I got a acore of 720 on the GMAT. I have a work experience of ~2 years in UBS Investment Bank as a Junior Analyst. I worked at Ubs from June 2007 to April 2009 and since then i have been unemployed. I chose to leave my job to give full attention and focus to my preparation for GMAT.

Is it a big negative or a disadvantageous position to be not employed and to leave the current employment section in the application blank? Will it impact my application heavily.

Please give me some guidance on this, i am very worried about how will this work. I have to earn an MBA degree soon. I have set high goals for myself.

Please help me out.

Waiting for an early response.

Thanks All,
Swati

That was a very bad idea. Everyone here basically has prepared their apps and for the GMAT while maintaining their job. THey'll expect that you explain why you left, and leaving for gmat preparation is not valid. Your goal should be to get employed again and think of a different reason to tell adcoms why you left your last job.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: Does it make a big difference if one leaves his/her job [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2009, 17:25
Yes i agree with ACNguy !

You have left your job to give full attention for GMAT preparation. It indirectly says we can concentrate only on one task at particular time and perform well. Though strategically its good for preparation, Adcom is not expecting this from his applicants.

They are expecting us to cope up with the kind of pressure/tight course schedule during our MBA course. Also to have kind of Multitasking capability to succeed as an MBA graduate as well as a Business Person. (Though in many occasions Multitasking is proved as not an efficient one when compare to single task at a time, In this competitive world we need to differtiate ourself from large pool of applicants).
Hope you will take my comments in positive way.

Please have acceptable reason, lets try to manage with the same. Lets try to use our management skill during admission process itself :)

All the best for your applications.
Thanks!
Current Student
Schools: Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Does it make a big difference if one leaves his/her job [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2009, 07:53
I agree with the others, this reasoning basically admits that you are unable to multi-task and (in a way) displays lack of sound judgment skills. Leaving a job in this economy and withe less than 2 yrs experience while wanting to apply to school doesn't paint a strong picture.

You're definitely going to have to come up with a valid excuse.

My story of an average chick who stumbled into the 700+ club
700-clubbers-add-your-name-to-the-list-64636-100.html#p600519
My 2009-2010 Application Decisions
2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475.html?view-post=600694#p600694

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Re: Does it make a big difference if one leaves his/her job [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2009, 05:59
I myself am not emploed currently.
I had to leave my job and move with my husband to another country.
But I wanted to make something out of thie sabattical...so I started volunteering part-time and
pursued some serious hobbies....overall i can confidently say that I didn't waste time :)

That said, I agree with all the above answers - simply saying that I left my job to focus on GMAT might impact your application negatively ... after all most applicants have a full time job and slog extra hours to write the essays and applications and hence are obviously better!

Cheers
-D-
http://mymaidenjourney.blogspot.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Does it make a big difference if one leaves his/her job [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2009, 07:49
Yeah leaving wasn't a good idea, but as an i-banker, I'm sure your hours topped 70 or 80 a week (maybe even closer to 100). So I guess I kind of understand you. It's strange that you left voluntarily in this economy. I think from an adcom's perspective, it shows slight immaturity. Someone with a house, wife and kids would never just leave a job just to study for GMAT.

Anyway, that's just what I think adcom's would think. With only 2 years of experience as well, maybe since you are done w/GMAT, you should go work for another year or two before applying? If you must apply now, then just make up some reason as to why you left.

If possible, try to fill in any gaps right now with some volunteer experience. That way you can show you didn't leave to study. You left to pursue your desire of helping others. My 2 cents. Good luck.
Re: Does it make a big difference if one leaves his/her job   [#permalink] 12 Oct 2009, 07:49