Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 00:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Does reapplication have any drawbacks?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Does reapplication have any drawbacks? [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2011, 11:26
Hi everybody,
I applied to HBS last season, but I was not admitted. I am gioing to apply this year once again. My question is does reapplication have any drawbacks on my application? I am 32 years old and I have MSc in petroleum engineering and 6 years of work experience.
Cheers
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Does reapplication have any drawbacks? [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2011, 12:35
h110us,
There are no drawbacks to reapplying except the cost, time, and trouble. Worst case: they will ding you again. HBS in particular is a school that while claiming to be reapplicant friendly is historically unwelcoming to reapplicants. As a general rule, reapplicants to HBS need to show *substantial* improvement. In your case, your age alone may make a reapplication to HBS untenable. As you know, HBS skews younger than most top programs, which themselves leave less than 10% of their classes for people older than 28-29 (let alone 32). You may want to consider applying to other programs this year (such as European programs that are more age friendly) or to part-time or EMBA programs rather than rolling the dice with HBS again. Feel free to send me your CV for a closer look; paulbodine@yahoo.com.
--Paul

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Does reapplication have any drawbacks? [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2011, 10:11
1. You will have to use a lot of 'stale' stories from previous years (and hence may have to work extra hard in 1/2 new stories)
2. You will have to overhaul your application along with having to deal with Point 1. They did not work last year, they might not work this year as well.
3. Adcom might wonder how much can a person change in few months so it will not be prudent to change the goals, etc.

These are few of the many challenges for the reapplicants.
Re: Does reapplication have any drawbacks?   [#permalink] 25 Jun 2011, 10:11