Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 14:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Does Stanford educates only millionaires or billionaires?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 123

Kudos [?]: 563 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Does Stanford educates only millionaires or billionaires? [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2012, 06:06
Expert's post
Does Stanford educates only millionaires or billionaires?
I , sometimes really wonder whether I can really fulfill my dream to study at a top B school. Recently I went through an article and thereby I was forced to consider, "okay! forget, atleast, of top 5. Rest, shall see later on". I mean seriously, from where will I get this much amount of money, not to forget my demography-Indian.
$185,000 for an MBA. OMG!

Here is the article.

Stanford's Graduate School of Business has leapfrogged the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School and Columbia Business School to become the most expensive two-year MBA program in the world, according to an analysis by Poets&Quants.

This year, Stanford is telling applicants that the estimated cost of its two-year, full-time MBA program is a whopping $185,054, a new record. That is some $18,242 more than Stanford said it would cost an MBA student only two years ago, when Columbia was the school with the most expensive MBA program in the world. At that time, Columbia estimated that the cost to attend its MBA program was $168,307, while third-place Stanford's price tag was $166,812. In just two years, Stanford's estimated cost of the degree has risen by 10.9%, though the estimate includes a $4,000 global study trip.

Harvard Business School, Stanford's No. 1 rival, now costs over $20,000 less in estimated charges, even though it is in pricey Boston. The Stanford program is also $25,860 more than the cost of an MBA for a non-resident student at nearby UC-Berkeley's Haas School of Business. The actual difference between Harvard and Stanford is even greater because Harvard hands out an average $26,745 in annual fellowship money for its MBA students, far more than any other business school.

The total cost of the Stanford program includes two years worth of tuition, fees, books and supplies, mandatory medical insurance, the estimated costs to live and eat in Silicon Valley, and the $4,000 cost for a global study trip. Stanford says that its $23,391 estimate for rent, food, and personal expenses is for a "moderate lifestyle."

But as often is the case, these estimated numbers by the business schools tend to be conservative. They rarely include the inevitable 3% to 5% increase in tuition during a student's second year. And they tend to underestimate the "personal costs" of attending an elite MBA program, from expensive dinners out with friends to traveling to ski resorts over long weekends with new student friends.

The actual annual MBA tuition at Stanford is just $57,300, but all the additional costs add up quickly. According to Stanford, they include $2,184 a year in books and supplies, $1,710 a year in "instructional materials," $963 for "transportation," $3,600 for medical insurance, and an annual $537 "health fee."

If a single student decides to live off-campus, Stanford says the cost of the MBA program will likely be $195,580 -- another $10,500. For a married student living off-campus, the school says the cost will be a breathtaking $220,822. "Depending on marital status and other factors," says Stanford, "you should budget an additional $30,000 to $47,000 per year for living costs, books, and other expenses."

New York University's Stern School of Business is this year's second most expensive MBA program. Stern estimates the cost of its two-year program to be $184,532, thanks in part to its annual room and board cost estimate of $24,472. That is the highest estimate for housing and food by any business school, though anyone who has lived in New York would tell you it is impossible to feed yourself and live in a studio apartment for that sum.

For its part, Cornell's Johnson School notes that its estimate for housing and food is based on "sharing a moderately priced apartment" that would cost $800 a month and putting aside $450 monthly for food. That is at least possible in Ithaca, New York.

While the annual tuition rates range from a high of $62,034 at Wharton to a low of $52,900 at Duke University's Fuqua School, there is far greater variety in the estimates of additional costs. Dartmouth College's Tuck School figures that it costs only $12,643 for a year's worth of room and board on-campus. But Wharton estimates that the annual cost for room and board in Philadelphia is considerably higher, $20,644.

The most expensive books and supplies are estimated by Harvard Business School, which largely teaches by case study method. Harvard says the yearly cost to an MBA student for those case studies and other course materials is a sky-high $6,690. Columbia Business School, by comparison, estimates books and supplies to be a mere $900 a year. More typically, top schools estimate that the cost of an annual supply of books and course materials are about $2,000. Chicago Booth figures MBA students pay about $2,100 a year, while UC-Berkeley Haas says its MBA candidates are shelling out $2,500 a year.

Most of the best international schools are far cheaper than their U.S. counterparts. London Business School now says the cost of its MBA program, including housing and personal expenses, is $111,549 -- some $92,288 in total tuition and fees and the rest for food, accommodation, books, school trips, and travel home. INSEAD's 10-month MBA program in Fontainebleau, France costs an estimated $107,449.

Of course, Stanford has one offsetting factor to offer MBA applicants, besides the palm trees and mild weather of Northern California. The median total compensation for a freshly minted MBA from Stanford this year was $185,000. So at least there's plenty of cash to quickly pay down those student loans.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

1 KUDOS received
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 305 [1] , given: 190

Re: Does Stanford educates only millionaires or billionaires? [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2013, 10:40
This post received
KUDOS
MacFauz wrote:
The Purchasing Power Parity is killing us... We see the 1 crore rupees mark and it feels like 1 million dollars to us... I was looking at the rates that some admission consultants are charging.. I am pretty sure I can get an MBA degree from a decent regional school in India at those rates... IIMA's $175,000 median salary as shown on last year's FT rankings itself is proof.... I do not think the actual median salary would be anything more than $80,000 but FT took the purchasing power parity into account and it went up to $175,000...

Indian B Schools have pretty bad record when it comes to inflating placement satistics. For example someone(usually 1-2) gets a job in London and NY at associate level paying 100,000 -120,000 $ USD. Now B Schools take maximum possible bonus into account usually between (100-150)% and show the total salary as 1.5 crore. And all newspapapers are publishing it. A few years back a news report came on Pagalguy where another reputed B School claimed the salary as 12 lakhs INR, 6 lakhs included the rental space of cubicle :). Donot buy into the placement reports of IIMs/ISB , when you interact with the current students you come to know the real figures. In US even a truck driver can earn 100k USD, so the statistics are less misleading if at all.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V23
GMAT 2: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 157 [0], given: 141

Re: Does Stanford educates only millionaires or billionaires? [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2012, 07:54
Good Research Marcab!

From India perspective, at an exchange rate of INR 55/$, $185,000 = INR 10,175,000 (1 Crore Say!)
And this factor obviously eases up competition.
Otherwise, I would say it is tougher to get into top IIMs than getting into Stanford, Stern or Harvard.

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."
― Voltaire

Press Kudos, if I have helped.
Thanks!

shit-happens-my-journey-to-172475.html#p1372807

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Does Stanford educates only millionaires or billionaires? [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2012, 08:40
Expert's post
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 305 [0], given: 190

Re: Does Stanford educates only millionaires or billionaires? [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2012, 09:23
Marcab,
Even if you can get an admit from Top 15 MBA programme getting a loan will be the least of your problems.

BTW Stanford grads earn 200, 000$/year :).

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Does Stanford educates only millionaires or billionaires? [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2012, 09:28
Expert's post
@AbhiJ...Thanks for boosting my morale.
Anyways did you hear the news of the particlular Wharton Graduate. He got a job offer of $450,000 and this is too, the base salary. Mind blowing.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 56

Re: Does Stanford educates only millionaires or billionaires? [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2012, 09:58
Marcab wrote:
Anyways did you hear the news of the particlular Wharton Graduate. He got a job offer of $450,000 and this is too, the base salary. Mind blowing.

you might be earning 540K.... don't loose hope marcab.... :)
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Does Stanford educates only millionaires or billionaires? [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2012, 10:14
Expert's post
Yeah but to earn that much, I have to shell out myself even. :lol:

Rules For Posting

Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Does Stanford educates only millionaires or billionaires? [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2013, 08:27
no pain no gain. . take risk.
if ur dreams r big no task is too big.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 7

Re: Does Stanford educates only millionaires or billionaires? [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2013, 16:36
Go for it, take educated risks! It's better to fail trying than regret later that you haven't tried. Most people are risk averse and you'd be surprised to learn how much you can gain just by taking risks.

http://cheatsheetgmat.com
All GMAT Math Formulas you need to succeed!

Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 623 [0], given: 116

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Does Stanford educates only millionaires or billionaires? [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2013, 20:38
The Purchasing Power Parity is killing us... We see the 1 crore rupees mark and it feels like 1 million dollars to us... I was looking at the rates that some admission consultants are charging.. I am pretty sure I can get an MBA degree from a decent regional school in India at those rates... IIMA's $175,000 median salary as shown on last year's FT rankings itself is proof.... I do not think the actual median salary would be anything more than $80,000 but FT took the purchasing power parity into account and it went up to $175,000...

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.4

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 7

Re: Does Stanford educates only millionaires or billionaires? [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2013, 19:00
Getting into either of these schools should be the first thing. There are people with McKinsey/KKR work experience who get rejected at HSW, if you are accepted into to one of them chances are you've already made it big and not an average IT guy thinking of doing an MBA in the US.

A good majority of people take out loans. Also I believe the cost is much more than tuition fees and living costs. Network is what gain at these schools so expensive trips and events with your classmates can't be avoided as well.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 48

Re: Does Stanford educates only millionaires or billionaires? [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2013, 19:22
Marcab wrote:

Marcab,

Do you really think he got a $450k offer without previous high roller status work experience? Who's to say the job offer wasn't for his/her father's company?

A few months back, I remember reading that the average debt load of a student graduating from HBS or INSEAD was $80k. I think your concerns about debt load are legitimate - graduating from a US school with over $200k of debt would be a terrible way to live. You might want to consider the top six Canadian MBA schools: Desautels, Rotman, Ivey, Schulich, Queen's and Sauder. You'll see most of the upside of placement at US schools and you'll cover the downside of high debt (this way you could still reach for your dreams without throwing reason to the wind). These Canadian MBA schools run in the $65k-$85k range for tuition.

Carl

Check out my website, a First-Hand view of what it's like to go to Business School! http://www.carlolivieri.com

Re: Does Stanford educates only millionaires or billionaires?   [#permalink] 23 Feb 2013, 19:22