Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 10:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

DOES STUDENT LOAN HURT F-1 VISA CHANCES?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

DOES STUDENT LOAN HURT F-1 VISA CHANCES? [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2012, 06:47
Hello guys, especially international students. I know there are international students who have used student loans to fund their MBA andand other business-related degrees. I have been accepted to Duke MMS degree, and they luckily give no-cosigner loans to international students. But the problem I have is if I can use it as a source of fund for my visa interview? I know I have to show ties to my country to the visa officer. My family has 2 houses,2 plots of land and I have about 6000 dollars in my bank account-not much. I also attended at top liberal arts college in USA(Williams,Amherst,Wesleyan-Little Ivy) where I majored in math on full-funding.I'm in my country now(Africa). Please I will like any reply from people with experience because I want to know possible questions that could rise in such a situation gain from your experience. Thanks.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2235

Kudos [?]: 8400 [0], given: 3646

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: DOES STUDENT LOAN HURT F-1 VISA CHANCES? [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2012, 09:04
Expert's post
Congratulations on getting into the MMS program.

It does not matter where the funding is coming from as long as you have it. the requirement is not to bring/import money into the US (such as the Investors "E" visa) but rather ensure you can cover your costs of living/tuition and will not be forced to be on public support or be forced to work.

Very many students have applied to students based on no-cosigner loans in the past years. If anything, it may help your cause - you are trustworthy enough for someone to give you $100k.

So, do not be concerned about this point. Many MBA students have applied with little left in their countries (they quit their jobs, sold all assets, etc to attend an MBA program) and the immigration officers understand that. They also understand that there are MUCH easier ways to sneak into the US than taking the GMAT, writing essays, doing interviews, getting into the Duke MMS, applying for a loan, and jumping all other hoops :)

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 6

Re: DOES STUDENT LOAN HURT F-1 VISA CHANCES? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2012, 01:04
I am in a similar position and have the same question. Let me put the question in this way. If I am a visa officer, would I no think way?

"Here is a young guy who is trustworthy and the school has loaned him 100k. To repay this loan he may work in the US after his studies. So, I will not let him do that."

Cheers,
Jo!

Kudos me if you like this post!! :)

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2235

Kudos [?]: 8400 [0], given: 3646

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: DOES STUDENT LOAN HURT F-1 VISA CHANCES? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2012, 01:06
Expert's post
The immigration officer will actually ask you the question of repaying the loan - you should have a good answer.

I had a loan and I was asked. I got a visa without issues.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

Re: DOES STUDENT LOAN HURT F-1 VISA CHANCES? [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2012, 03:52
bb wrote:
The immigration officer will actually ask you the question of repaying the loan - you should have a good answer.

If I have a big loan to repay, it's obv that I would work in US for a couple of years to repay it.
What kind of answer is appropriate to loan repayment qn?
Intern
Intern
Status: On the battlefield of applications, savoring each day
Schools: Owen '14 (A)
WE: Information Technology (Insurance)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: DOES STUDENT LOAN HURT F-1 VISA CHANCES? [#permalink] New post 01 May 2012, 22:21
Thanks DreamMba2012 for asking this question.

bb - I am in the same situation even though the loan amount would not be much after scholarship and that at the least my family would be able to take up. But as DreamMBA2012 put it, I will work in US for a few years and pay back the loan amount. What else could be said and with what specificity?
It would be great if you could throw some light on the kind of answers for student loans and why this school questions by the consulate officer.

Thanks
iAqua4

DreamMba2012 wrote:
bb wrote:

If I have a big loan to repay, it's obv that I would work in US for a couple of years to repay it.
What kind of answer is appropriate to loan repayment qn?
Re: DOES STUDENT LOAN HURT F-1 VISA CHANCES?   [#permalink] 01 May 2012, 22:21