Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 08:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Does the GMAT Score Table Change?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
GMAT 1: 740 Q V0
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Does the GMAT Score Table Change? [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2012, 03:51
Thanks in advance for your help, I have a question on my score. I received a 46Q and 42V, for a total score of 710. I understand that the percentile for the score you get changes all the time, but I thought that the overall score out of 800 was directly based off of your Q and V scores. From looking at all the tables I can find online (including the one on this site) a Quantitative Score of 46 and a Verbal Score of 42 should be a 720. I'm obviously happy with my score and can't really complain, but I thought that this was interesting. Has this discrepancy happened to anyone else?
Chat Moderator
Schools: Johnson '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 57

Premium Member
Re: Does the GMAT Score Table Change? [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2012, 04:06
sjcuva wrote:
Thanks in advance for your help, I have a question on my score. I received a 46Q and 42V, for a total score of 710. I understand that the percentile for the score you get changes all the time, but I thought that the overall score out of 800 was directly based off of your Q and V scores. From looking at all the tables I can find online (including the one on this site) a Quantitative Score of 46 and a Verbal Score of 42 should be a 720. I'm obviously happy with my score and can't really complain, but I thought that this was interesting. Has this discrepancy happened to anyone else?

Happens quite often - percentiles change all the time, thus changing what a 46Q would be. (Quant is trending upward, while Verbal is trending downward.. i.e. a 46Q is worth less today than it was 5 years ago).

My Applicant Blog: http://hamm0.wordpress.com/

GMAT Forum Moderator
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Does the GMAT Score Table Change? [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 07:05
Your actual score ( on an 800 scale) and your Quant and Verbal Raw scores will not change .

Your percentiles can change though . As the poster above mentioned , the Quant percentiles seem to be dropping quite a bit each year . For instance to be above the "80th percentile" threshold in Quant you need to score atleast a Q49 now . But about 5-6 years ago you could score above the 80th percentile with just a quant score of 47.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 740 Q V0
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Does the GMAT Score Table Change? [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 07:12
I understand the idea of percentiles changing, I was more wondering about the gmat tables that show if you get X quantitative and Y verbal you will get score Z out of 800. It just seemed odd to me that on every table I was able to find, my scores of 46 and 42 show a higher score out of 800 than I ended up receiving. I guess those tables are just estimates by various groups?
GMAT Forum Moderator
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Does the GMAT Score Table Change? [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 08:07
Yup they're just "estimates" . The test makers are the only ones who know how exactly the raw scores convert to your overall score .

For instance you can get a 710 either with a Q50,V35 /Q46,V42 /Q49,38 /Q 51,V34 ( these are just some combinations , I'd imagine there are quite a few combinations that can lead to the same score ) .

Actually how it works is each Raw score isn't the same . For example say two people score a 50 in quant , one person might be in the "high end" of the 50 and the other might be on the "low end" of the 50 . So what that means is eventhough their score reports might say they had the same score in quant , the CAT algorithm will give a higher value to the guy who's at the higher end ( all this is done internally ) . Again , none of us know exactly how this conversion is done , only the test makers know about this .
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 31

Re: Does the GMAT Score Table Change? [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2012, 06:01
Their is no official scale that the GMAT has provided that combines the Q and V scores into one 200-800 score. The best estimate you can find on the internet is here:-

http://gmathints.com/gmat-info/gmatscores

P.s - This is only a ballpark estimate and should not be taken as 100% accurate..

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

Re: Does the GMAT Score Table Change?   [#permalink] 09 Nov 2012, 06:01