Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 05:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Does the GMATPrep software ever malfunction?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Does the GMATPrep software ever malfunction? [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2006, 22:48
I downloaded the GMATPrep software from GMAC that comes with two practice tests. I know it seems unlikely, but I feel that the software may have malfunctioned. Tell me what you think of this...

I have taken several practice tests, including Kaplan, Princeton Review, and GMAT Online Simulator, so I have a pretty good idea how the test is supposed to go.

When I took the GMATPrep Practice Test 2 tonight, the math section started with harder than normal questions right from the first question. I did not notice much variability in the difficulty of questions throughout the whole test. The computer gave me 18 data sufficiency problems out of the 37 total questions. Is that more than normal? Isn't there a fixed number that you are supposed to get on every test? It seemed like more than normal.

I ended up getting 10 questions wrong, but GMATPrep gave me a Quant score of 48, which seems way to high, especially since SIX of my incorrect answers came in the first 20. (Normally, I make 1 or 2 mistakes max in the first 20 questions, but as I said, these seemed harder than normal. Also, to give you an idea of my quant level, I took GMAT Club Challenge 22 today and got only 4 wrong.) My incorrect answers were on questions #3, 4, 9, 14, 17, 19, 24, 25, 35, 37.

What's going on here? Is this a problem with the software, or is there some better explanation?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2006, 12:55
I think the explanation is that the software is working exactly as it should, and that your "idea of how the test is supposed to go" is flawed. I do not know what the GMAT Online Sumulator is, but I am quite sure that the Kaplan tests are horrible. You should not base any opinions on the Kaplan tests. I do not even know if they are adaptive.

Regarding your experience with the GMATprep software. The first question should be "harder than normal". The first question should be a medium level question that allows the software to guage how select subsequent questions. The GMAT CAT is not like normal tests, where the early questions are easy, and get harder as the seciton moves wlong.

I have seen/heard of people that have missed as many as 13 on the GMATprep and scored 48 points. Even 51 point scores sometimes include 6-7 incorrect answers. That is the CAT at work.

Whatever experiences you had with the Kaplan and Princeton review tests, try to wipe them from your memory. They are nothing like the real thing.
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2006, 13:08
Also keep in mind that there are 9 experimental questions in Maths section. If you got 7 incorrect and all these 7 were experimental then you will get high score. If all were non-experimental then you will get some what lower score. No body, except creators of test, in this world could tell you which question is experimental and which is not. So don't worry much about scoring. Use tests to find your weak areas.

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

[#permalink] 07 Sep 2006, 13:08