Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 06:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Dog owners in B-school?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Dog owners in B-school? [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2008, 07:01
Been thinking about adopting a puppy lately, but I'm applying to B-school for Fall of '09. Do you find you have enough time to devote to taking care of a pup? If you have a full-grown dog, is s/he bored with your new lifestyle? Any advice in this area?

Thanks!
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Dog owners in B-school? [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2008, 13:18
Will be really tricky first year. Hell, doing everything yourself is tricky first year.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Dog owners in B-school? [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2008, 16:57
If you are single dont get a dog. If you are married or going to be moving with a significant other then only get a dog if they have a 9-5 type job.

Also dont adopt a puppy unless you have a HUGE amount of time to devote to it while its young. There is a steep drop off in the amount of attention they require around 2.5 to 3 years. Their energy level from puppyhood to 2.5 is far greater. Having a young dog while in school is definitely a BAD idea.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Dog owners in B-school? [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2008, 19:08
my husband and I are both in school and we pay for daily doggie day care in NYC! (well at least during the first semester.) don't get a dog unless your significant other can take care of him every day or you live extremely close to school (under 10 minutes so you can run home). and whatever you do, don't get a "working dog" such as a lab or golden because you won't have time for the daily walks. Fridays are days off but you'll have career events and group meetings.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Dog owners in B-school? [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2008, 20:03
I have weds off but will definitely be on campus ever single day. My dog is a pretty big high energy dog but she is well trained and since she is big she doesnt need to go to the bathroom constantly during the day. We definitely have to make sure we take her on long walks though, and there is a dog park/beach like half a mile from where we live in Evanston so we bring her there a few days a week to really get her energy out. If I didnt already have a dog I wouldnt be getting one now thats for sure. I do have friends that have gotten puppies or adopted adult dogs since they moved here for school but to me thats pretty crazy.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 247

Kudos [?]: 1512 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Dog owners in B-school? [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2008, 13:31
I have a dog but we have someone come every day and take him out for a few hours while I'm at school / wife at work.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Dog owners in B-school? [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2008, 18:31
there are quite some people at darden that managed to have a dog in b-school
Re: Dog owners in B-school?   [#permalink] 26 Nov 2008, 18:31