Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 22:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Don't know where to begin (Help greatly appreciated)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V42
GPA: 3.93
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Don't know where to begin (Help greatly appreciated) [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2013, 17:13
I just took my GMAT two days ago and I don't know where to begin as far as the application process is concerned. I really can't asses the relative strength of my application and, in addition to this, I'm being bombarded by a ton of contradicting information from various sources (the internet, friends, family) about the set of schools I may or may not be competitive at. I'm sure that these sort of topics are quite common on this forum and are probably quite boring to most of you. So basically I would greatly appreciate either (a) advice/guidance from you guys or (b) a link to a highly reputable consulting company that specializes in this sort of thing.

Age 26, graduated college in 2010

GMAT: 690 (42Q, 42V) - waiting on AWA IR scores
Undergrad GPA: 3.93 (4.0 Major GPA)
Bachelor of Science in Business Economics (from mediocre school)
Chairman of economics club where I helped organize several guest lectures and policy debates
Two outstanding academic letters of recommendation (one from the chairman of my economics department)
Relevant work experience: None

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Esuric on 13 Apr 2013, 08:26, edited 2 times in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 412 [2] , given: 245

Premium Member
Re: Don't know where to begin (Help greatly appreciated) [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2013, 17:46
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
How do you have no relevant work experience if you graduated 3 years ago? What have you been up to since then?

And then the big questions...what do you want to do with your MBA? What jobs do you want? And do you have location preferences?

Stats-wise there are many schools you can get into...now you just have to figure out which ones best suit your needs.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V42
GPA: 3.93
WE: Other (Other)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Don't know where to begin (Help greatly appreciated) [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2013, 23:25
aerien wrote:
How do you have no relevant work experience if you graduated 3 years ago? What have you been up to since then?

My original plan was to pursue and a PHD in economics but realized, fairly late, that that wasn't the right path for me. After that, I really had no idea what I actually wanted to do. I just knew that I wasn't interested in academia. Unfortunately, I didn't take advantage of any of the internships available to me in my undergrad program, and after graduation, I was involved in a terrible accident which shattered my right hand. The surgery put me out of the labor-market for a while, and after that I couldn't find a full-time position anywhere. I've been working two part-time jobs since 2011, going on the occasional interview here and there.

I realize that this part of my application is problematic, I just don't know to what degree.

aerien wrote:
then the big questions...what do you want to do with your MBA? What jobs do you want? And do you have location preferences?

Stats-wise there are many schools you can get into...now you just have to figure out which ones best suit your needs.

I don't have location preferences; I'm willing to literally go anywhere. I would like to get into finance, something related to business valuations or risk management.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Don't know where to begin (Help greatly appreciated) [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2013, 00:31
A simple way to start is the rankings. Select the top 20 and then read about them. As you read about them, you will realize that there are some things that you like about some and some things that you dont like. You will then formulate your own selection criteria for b-schools... things like:

focus of academics (marketing, finance, international)
opportunity to do an exchange program
opportunity to learn another language
career services

... the list could go on
Re: Don't know where to begin (Help greatly appreciated)   [#permalink] 13 Apr 2013, 00:31