Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 18:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Done - 730 (97%) Q50 V38

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Done - 730 (97%) Q50 V38 [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2006, 12:49
So this is how it is done! That was my first thought after coming out of the Hall. And a sigh of relief.

I was not very nervous before the exam, rather I had to push myself that today is the real GMAT :). I had given the GMATPrep-2 yesterday, but kinda held myself back then. Saved my best shot for today. A little disappointed with my Verbal (have been getting early 40s in practice tests) but if somebody would have given me this score before I went to give the exam, I would have happily taken it.

My preparation started intermittently some 3 months back. But effective time for preparation was close to 2 months. Which I think is the ideal time. I was really worried if I would be a spent horse before I give the Final exam, but the break in-between helped. By then I had also realized where I stood and how much more preparation I would need.

I basically referred to three books, started with Kaplan, Princeton Review and OG 11th edition. I also referred to MGMAT SC book since I felt that was a weak area for me. Overall I felt this material is good enough for someone looking to prepare for 2 months or less. As for the tests, I felt Kaplan is really not a true reflection of your performance, w.r.t. GMAT. Especially the CR party. Their CR questions are so vague, I sometimes thought if they really want to make me feel bad. These 4 tests you should give first. And then probably the tests from Princeton Review. Princeton also provides feedback for your essays. And it charges 6 bucks for 2 essays. That's a steal compared to what MGMAT asked for reviewing my essays (250 bucks an hour with a tutor).

And of course the Club. Without it I wouldn't have got 730. I really got to learn a lot here. Especially the verbal part. This is really an ideal place to gauge where you stand. Some of the guys are so good, it just motivates you to strive harder. So thank you GMAT Club.

And that's about it from my side. I really enjoyed it while it lasted, but now that it is finished, couldn't be happier :).

Thanks a lot guys,

- Vipin
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2006, 12:56
Congrats !!!! Great score !!! Good luck with your apps !!!! If possible please write more about your test experience .

:band
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2006, 13:12
Great job Vipin! Congraats!
:musband
Good luck for your apps.

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."

- Bernard Edmonds

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2006, 14:01
Congrats Vipin!

What were your GMATPrep scores? How was the actual test compared to GMATPrep?
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2006, 16:43
Vipin.....Congratulations dude.....Wonderful performance.....
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2006, 16:50
Congrats dude!

What were your practice test scores like?
Especially PR, GMATPrep, Kaplan and MGMAT?
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2006, 18:29
Congrats Vipin :-D
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2006, 19:12
awesome job! congrats!!!

how were the gmat prep compared to official gmats?

thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2006, 19:25
Congratulations Buddy. Good Luck for Application.
HV :beer :band
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2006, 19:29
Congratulations Vipin.....
and best of luck for your applications.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2006, 19:37
Thanks a lot for the wishes guys. But the real journey has just begun. GMAT is but one part, although a significant one, of the whole app process

Just updated my scores in the Score Estimator. My scores in Kapalan ranged from 600 to 650. Again, I personally found Princeton review tests better as far as GMAT is concerned. My PR scores varied from 720 to 750. GMAT prep, I scored 710 in both the tests and in MGMAT, I gave 3 tests and the scores ranged from 720 to 730. So in a way, MGMAT and PR were more accurate indicator of my performance. It may be different for somebody who has verbal part stronger than quant.

One thing I noticed while giving GMAT Prep is the tricky DS number-theory problems and made it a point to double check the answer in real GMAT. It is very easy to fall into the trap, so I approached these questions very systematically, solving it for each conditions one by one and exhausting all the scenarios.

IPC, pls let me know if you have any specific questions. Regarding the experience at the test center, I was at the center about 45 min before my scheduled time, 11am. Waited in the lobby for almost half hour before the test administrator approached me. She didn't even allow me to take my watch inside the test room, but in general, they were very helpful. I took both the scheduled breaks. Helped me re-focus my mind first from AWA to Quant and then from Quant to Verbal. So in a way, I treated it as a three part exam rather than one long 4 hours exam. Makes you feel much better, doesn't it :). A lot of people are worried about the new marker and trasparencies Pearson provides. But I wasn't much hassled by it. Maybe because of my previous experience of working with them (I presented my bachelors thesis on a Projector using transparencies :) ). It might make your hands a little dirty but that should be the least of your worries.

Signing off for now, unless anyone has further questions. Goodluck to all who are yet to appear for the test, and I am sure you guys will do better.

Thanks,
Vipin
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2006, 19:43
willget800 wrote:
awesome job! congrats!!!

how were the gmat prep compared to official gmats?

thanks!

I found them quite similar. And they have an added advantage in that the look and feel is exactly same as the real GMAT. Since I gave the Gmat Prep one day before the actual GMAT, really made me quite comfortable while giving the actual exam. Also, the question types and the difficulty level were pretty much the same.
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2006, 19:52
Congratulations. thats a great score.

:woohoo
goodluck to you too.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2006, 23:09
hey vipin7um,

great score my friend, you are the man :good

all the best for your further endavours :king
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2006, 00:56
Great Job Vipin,
Congrats ! :bouncer
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2006, 05:44
vipin7um wrote:
Thanks a lot for the wishes guys. But the real journey has just begun. GMAT is but one part, although a significant one, of the whole app process

One thing I noticed while giving GMAT Prep is the tricky DS number-theory problems and made it a point to double check the answer in real GMAT. It is very easy to fall into the trap, so I approached these questions very systematically, solving it for each conditions one by one and exhausting all the scenarios.

Vipin - Can you describe your methodology for the DS in more detail, so that some of us can benefit from it?

Thanks.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2006, 03:50
Congrats Vipin.
Where can In find the MGMAT SC and CR.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2006, 09:29
am100 wrote:
vipin7um wrote:

Vipin - Can you describe your methodology for the DS in more detail, so that some of us can benefit from it?

Thanks.

Hi AM,
The way I solve the DS problem is -

1.) Analyze first choice alone
2.) Analyze second choice alone

Generally choose the one which is simpler. The most common mistake I used to make was, after solving for one condition, assume that information for the second condition. This happens especially when you are solving complicated number-theory problems. To avoid falling into any trap, write down the complete list of solutions for each condition and look for a unique solution which satisfies both. This approach is only for complex quesitons, or you would end up taking more time than required for a question.

You can PM me if you have any specific questions.

Thanks,
vipin
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2006, 09:49
amansingla4 wrote:
Congrats Vipin.
Where can In find the MGMAT SC and CR.

Barnes n Nobles or Amazon. Of course the cheapest deals you would get on Amazon.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2006, 09:51
Just sent you a PM. Thanks.
  [#permalink] 29 Apr 2006, 09:51