Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 08:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Done! 750 (98%) (Q-50, V-41)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: Business Development
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 32 [2] , given: 161

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Done! 750 (98%) (Q-50, V-41) [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2011, 12:52
This post received
KUDOS
Hey all.

Some background - I am a foreigner so I am sorry about any mistakes in this passage. However, this forum gave me so much that I had to put something back.

Edited - *** I am sorry that this review is not organized - I am terribly tired because I slept around 3 hours at night. I will fix it later on.

How did I study?

Few things that I think helped me a lot -
1st - solved any official book. Did not waste time and energy on other books. If I wanted a verity of questions - I could find almost everything I want in this forum.
2nd - Unlike many of you - I have not touched math for the past 12 years. So it was very hard to start. I concentrated only on the basics for the first stage. I think Karishma has many many good tips that make exercises so much easier - i recommend you guys to read her posts and learn. There are many more people here that are amazing and always willing to help - USE IT. Fluke and the team will answer for any question you have and, at least for me, at least 150 points of my score is due to these people. I learned a lot from people here. No doubt.
3rd - When I noticed that I am weak in something - for example CR - I just solved CR over and over for few hours a day. Only CR. This method helped me to reduce my mistakes.

VERBAL-

HELL ON EARTH.
  • CR - The best tip I can give is - read it slow and carefully so you can understand everything in the first time you read. After you have done enough - CR becomes very easy. One thing I can say was a bit different during the exam is that I felt like the CR passages are a bit longer than what I was used to - but not crazy long. Just longer.
  • RC - my weakest point. Cannot give many tips here bc I still make a lot of mistakes here. even though I , most of the time, understand what I read in a good way, many times I get stuck with two answers and carefully try to pick the right one. Sometimes it works, sometimes not... sad but true. During the exam - I found the RC to be really much harder than expected. Very tough. Long, many hard words and very long, time consuming answers. I think I lost most of my points in the RC.
  • SC - I think I do this a bit different from everyone else, but it works really good for me. I have about 95% right answers for SC questions - and my grammar - is not amazing (actually my grammar kinda sucks!)
    but what I did is mainly - read the whole sentence fully. Find what mistakes are there and (unlike everyone else) I read all the other sentences as well - trying to find mistakes in each of them as well. Most of the time - I could find a mistake quickly and feel good about my choice. Harder questions - Just need to put more effort to understand the meaning of the sentence - Harder but works if you read slowly and carefully.
    ***** I read everything about the new questions style for SC as was published in this forum. I must admit that I did not noticed a big difference from the exercises I did at home. Questions were not easy but were not very hard as well.

Tests

1. I used the official practice test since day 1. I did it over and over and over until I knew how to solve any problem in this program with my eyes closed. I left practice test 2 for the last two weeks. I did this exam also - Until i knew every possible question in it.
2. I bought one of the MGMAT books and used the practice exams. Great material even though I do believe they do not have enough 700-800 level questions in them. It supported my math level in a very good way. Their material is explained well and there are some very good tricks and technique that one can study using MGMAT exams.

The exam itself -

Decided to take it while was on vacation abroad. Was very weird experience. But not very important.
tried to sleep for 8 hours, but in this country people do not have AC at homes and there is a heat wave. HOT + ANXIETY = LACK OF SLEEP. I slept very little at night - bothered my a lot during the exam.

Morning of the exam

- Woke up early. Showered. Ate breakfast. Drank Big mug of coffee. Went to the bathroom for long and short sitting several times...
Packed - 2 bananas. Red bull. 2 bottles of water.
First break - Ate a banana. Drank Water.
2nd break - bathroom, washed face. Water.

General -

Math - mostly was like expected, but there were few very hard questions that I got stuck. Waste 2 min on each one and skipped - happened twice during the exam. ANNOYING. one of them dealt with squares - usually I am very good with squares - however - couldn't spot the trick in the question. 2nd was very simple looking question but very long and hard math behind it. Tried to simplify in any way I could think of and failed.

I must get some sleep, but I hope this short review will help at least one of you. I will try to stay active as much as I can and help the community back as you guys helped me.

Thanks all, have a good night.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Last edited by bb on 28 Sep 2011, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.
Formatting
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.22
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Done! 750 (98%) (Q-50, V-41) [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2011, 13:46
Congratulations on your score.

Goodluck with the applications.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 2.5 yrs in manufacturing
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: Done! 750 (98%) (Q-50, V-41) [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2011, 14:28
Buddy, Congratulations on your wonderful score.
Your logic sounds simple and effective on focussing on the official questions.

Could you please post all your practice test scores (MGMAT and GMAT Prep).
I have my exam on Oct 11th, looking for a little inspiration to cross 750.

Thanks,
Raghu

ARISE AWAKE AND REST NOT UNTIL THE GOAL IS ACHIEVED

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Done! 750 (98%) (Q-50, V-41) [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2011, 15:03
Congratulations on big 750!! Your strategy is simple yet powerfull. Good luck for apps.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton,NY Stern,INSEAD,Stanford

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 25

Re: Done! 750 (98%) (Q-50, V-41) [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2011, 15:17
Congrats..
Good luck with your applications

Regards,
Nagesh
My GMAT Study Plan: my-gmat-study-plan-112833.html
Idioms List : gmat-idioms-104283.html?hilit=idioms#p813231
--------------------------------------
Consider Kudos if you like my posts

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Done! 750 (98%) (Q-50, V-41) [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2011, 15:34
first of all many many congratulations for the awesome score...

Could you please share your startegies for Q and V in a bit more detail.Especially Q.
I m struggling with Q at 44-45 want to shoot for 49ish....

thanks and allthe best!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 161

Re: Done! 750 (98%) (Q-50, V-41) [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2011, 17:40
Raghavender wrote:
Buddy, Congratulations on your wonderful score.
Your logic sounds simple and effective on focussing on the official questions.

Could you please post all your practice test scores (MGMAT and GMAT Prep).
I have my exam on Oct 11th, looking for a little inspiration to cross 750.

Thanks,
Raghu

Thanks for the warm words everyone.

these are my scores:

Kaplan(1) - 780 - cant remember the breakdown
MGMAT 1 - 50-45 (770)
MGMAT 2 - 51-44 (770)
MGMAT 3 - 49-45 (760)
MGMAT 4 - 51-44 (770)
MGMAT 5 - 51-44 (770)

My first try of GMAT PREP (exam 2) - 780 with 51-45 break.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Done! 750 (98%) (Q-50, V-41) [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2011, 17:47
illrockgmat wrote:

Could you please share your startegies for Q and V in a bit more detail.Especially Q.

thanks and allthe best!

My best tip is to find your weakness and press it. For example - I had two big problems:
1. reminders.
2. probability.

Reminders - once you get the hang of it - its super easy, but you must solve enough exercises in order to really understand the basics.

Probability - I did so many exercises - and still I do not know how to solve all. Very complicated. I can solve most of them, but not all. I did so many that I can solve those almost without thinking. (at the end - I had NO PROBABILITY at all in the test - what made me very very worried during the exam bc i felt that im not getting the "harder" stuff...

If you stuck on 44-45 quant - just make sure you find your weak areas and KILL it as much as you can. If you keep on doing a lot of exercise with 80-905 right answers but keep getting 0% on the kind of questions that you keep failing - its just dumb. Raising your success rate in that kind of questions will shoot your score higher in an instant.
The hard part is to be smart enough to spot these weaknesses. Make sure you study from your mistakes and develop.

If you can tell me what are your weaker questions - I might find some good tips that might help you out.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 11-15-2011
GPA: 3.33

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 38

Re: Done! 750 (98%) (Q-50, V-41) [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2011, 19:23
congratssss
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: Done! 750 (98%) (Q-50, V-41) [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2011, 22:38
Congrats man you nailed it :) Best of luck for you apps now :)

@nageshshiv: You can remove the idioms link from your signature because they will no more be tested now :)

BR
Mandeep
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Done! 750 (98%) (Q-50, V-41) [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2011, 00:20
samramandy wrote:
Congrats man you nailed it :) Best of luck for you apps now :)

@nageshshiv: You can remove the idioms link from your signature because they will no more be tested now :)

BR
Mandeep

Well, I had an Idiom question this morning so I would not remove it completely. Just reduce the efforts you put into it I guess.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Done! 750 (98%) (Q-50, V-41) [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2011, 08:09
illrockgmat wrote:

thanks and allthe best!

My best tip is to find your weakness and press it. For example - I had two big problems:
1. reminders.
2. probability.

Reminders - once you get the hang of it - its super easy, but you must solve enough exercises in order to really understand the basics.

Probability - I did so many exercises - and still I do not know how to solve all. Very complicated. I can solve most of them, but not all. I did so many that I can solve those almost without thinking. (at the end - I had NO PROBABILITY at all in the test - what made me very very worried during the exam bc i felt that im not getting the "harder" stuff...

If you stuck on 44-45 quant - just make sure you find your weak areas and KILL it as much as you can. If you keep on doing a lot of exercise with 80-905 right answers but keep getting 0% on the kind of questions that you keep failing - its just dumb. Raising your success rate in that kind of questions will shoot your score higher in an instant.
The hard part is to be smart enough to spot these weaknesses. Make sure you study from your mistakes and develop.

If you can tell me what are your weaker questions - I might find some good tips that might help you out.

Thanks a lot for the wise words....I bolded a part of your response...."The hard part is to be smart enough to spot these weaknesses",Can't agree more to this. Perhaps I haven't found my weakness yet.
I hope to see you active on the forum so that we all can bug you for great suggestions!! :-)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Done! 750 (98%) (Q-50, V-41) [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2011, 18:03
Congrats
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 14

Re: Done! 750 (98%) (Q-50, V-41) [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2011, 20:09
Congratulations!!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.28
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 14

Re: Done! 750 (98%) (Q-50, V-41) [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2011, 20:28
great score... best of luck for appli..keep us posted

[caption=]Remember: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.[/caption]

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
GPA: 3.38

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Done! 750 (98%) (Q-50, V-41) [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2011, 07:53
Congratulations !

750 is like a dream for me !!

... hope to get more useful advice
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Done! 750 (98%) (Q-50, V-41) [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2011, 03:10
Congratulations on your great score.

These are my weaknesses -
1) In maths, I'm stuck at 49, and I am not able to raise my score to 50+
2) Like you, I am extremely weak in RC. I get about 7/10 correct in SC, 6/10 correct in CR, but I get only 4/10 correct in RC.
3) Another problem is time management. When I reach 32nd problem in mjath, remaining time is nearly 1-2 mins. Similarly when I reach 34th question in verbal, remaining time is nearly 1-2 mins.

750 is like a dream for me, but I get myself motivated from success stories like your's.

Thanks and Regards,
GM.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Done! 750 (98%) (Q-50, V-41) [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2011, 07:00
gautammalik wrote:

You have the basics - I am sure you just have a weak spot that you keep missing questions in that area or areas. Try to have a error log (you can find it in the forum) and after you have enough mistakes - you will be able to notice patters.
2) Like you, I am extremely weak in RC. I get about 7/10 correct in SC, 6/10 correct in CR, but I get only 4/10 correct in RC.
4/10 is something you should work on. I would try to change strategy. Are you reading the full passage? or you only read "strategically". I tried both and I could solve with "normal" results - only after reading all the passage.
3) Another problem is time management. When I reach 32nd problem in mjath, remaining time is nearly 1-2 mins. Similarly when I reach 34th question in verbal, remaining time is nearly 1-2 mins.
Why? Is it because you do not read fast enough? or is it because you waste too much time for each question? I had no problem of timing in the verbal part. Just make sure not to waste too much time on one question. As I said above - the long way is the shorter way. Make sure you dont read the questions too quickly so you are not fully understanding what you just read. Read slow so you can get all the info in the 1st reading. Even if it looks longer - its actually the shorter way to do it. (at least for me).

750 is like a dream for me, but I get myself motivated from success stories like your's.

Just keep studying. Stay motivated. Work and learn from your mistakes. And I am sure you will be just fine. good luck.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Done! 750 (98%) (Q-50, V-41) [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2011, 07:39
144144 wrote:
gautammalik wrote:

You have the basics - I am sure you just have a weak spot that you keep missing questions in that area or areas. Try to have a error log (you can find it in the forum) and after you have enough mistakes - you will be able to notice patters.
4/10 is something you should work on. I would try to change strategy. Are you reading the full passage? or you only read "strategically". I tried both and I could solve with "normal" results - only after reading all the passage.
Why? Is it because you do not read fast enough? or is it because you waste too much time for each question? I had no problem of timing in the verbal part. Just make sure not to waste too much time on one question. As I said above - the long way is the shorter way. Make sure you dont read the questions too quickly so you are not fully understanding what you just read. Read slow so you can get all the info in the 1st reading. Even if it looks longer - its actually the shorter way to do it. (at least for me).

Just keep studying. Stay motivated. Work and learn from your mistakes. And I am sure you will be just fine. good luck.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.
For Maths, I am doing Manhattan Advanced GMAT Quant book currently.
I will work on error log tool.

I do not comprehend the RC passages and CR question stems quickly. I have to improve on my focus and concentration.

Yes, I do take a lot of time to answer few questions. I have to learn how to guess and skip questions effectively.

Thanks and Regards,
GM.

Manager
Manager
Schools: Erasmus (S)
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.9

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Done! 750 (98%) (Q-50, V-41) [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2011, 08:05
Good, good, good! I wish you a pleasant future)

If my post is useful for you not be ashamed to KUDO me!
Let kudo each other!

Re: Done! 750 (98%) (Q-50, V-41)   [#permalink] 01 Oct 2011, 08:05