Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 21:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Done and dusted!! 730 (Q49 V40)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 111 [3] , given: 13

Reviews Badge
Re: Done and dusted!! 730 (Q49 V40) [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2010, 05:46
This post received
KUDOS
akaydee wrote:
Great score and great debrief. Congratulations.

You now have me scared about the quant section! :?

There's no need to fear the quant section. Its possible to beat with sufficient practice. Make sure you're fast on number properties as that is very clearly the most tested topic in quant.
Silvers wrote:
so what all schools you are you applying to?

I haven't even thought about it. :) I've neglected it for so long and just thought of getting the GMAT out of the way. Now I've to actually see where my profile fits in with schools, and which schools I'm competitive at.
resh wrote:
I am giving the exam in October. So far, CR is my weak area.
Is the GMAT_LSAT_CR doc u mentioned same as the 1000 CR?
I searched for it , but couldnt find.

I think its the same as the 1000 CR doc, not sure though. You could probably google the document name to find it.

@greatman, ezhilkumarank, bakfed, Renuka, resh
Thank you!!

My debrief: done-and-dusted-730-q49-v40

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cornell
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 6

Re: Done and dusted!! 730 (Q49 V40) [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 12:27
This post received
KUDOS
Sidhu...Amazing debrief. I am not too far from giving my exam (3 weeks away) and your debrief has made me panic a bit. Quant is sort of my forte but I have seen many people now saying that the Quant in GMAT has become really tough. I am not sure if you can help me here but can you pm me or provide a link or two of the kind of questions that you thought were of the tougher type in Quant? I have tried to solve most of questions in Bunuel's post but any help from your side will be appreciated.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 111 [1] , given: 13

Reviews Badge
Re: Done and dusted!! 730 (Q49 V40) [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 19:30
This post received
KUDOS
@zuperman,
Please do not panic. That should be the last thing you do.If you're confident about quant then you should have no problem. For tough quant problems you should use the GMATClub tests. You get access to these with either 200 posts on GMATClub or 50 kudos. You could also buy them if you want.
The quant in the GMAT is getting tougher but by no means unbeatable. Like I mentioned in my debrief I was not really strong at quant. With sufficient practice and speed you can solve pretty much any quant question. Its not about the difficulty of the question, its about how fast you recognise the right approach and solve it.
All it takes is practice, you have 3 weeks left so make sure to just focus on practicing with an emphasis on speed.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 1

Re: Done and dusted!! 730 (Q49 V40) [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 20:01
This post received
KUDOS
sidhu4u wrote:
@zuperman,
Please do not panic. That should be the last thing you do.If you're confident about quant then you should have no problem. For tough quant problems you should use the GMATClub tests. You get access to these with either 200 posts on GMATClub or 50 kudos. You could also buy them if you want.
The quant in the GMAT is getting tougher but by no means unbeatable. Like I mentioned in my debrief I was not really strong at quant. With sufficient practice and speed you can solve pretty much any quant question. Its not about the difficulty of the question, its about how fast you recognise the right approach and solve it.
All it takes is practice, you have 3 weeks left so make sure to just focus on practicing with an emphasis on speed.

hi sidhu,
Can please share the level of difficulty of gmatclub tests and actual quant ?
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 111 [1] , given: 13

Reviews Badge
Re: Done and dusted!! 730 (Q49 V40) [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 20:56
This post received
KUDOS
@nikhil,

During my preparation I was under the impression that the GMATPrep tests are a good indicator of the standard of quant on the test. I held the same belief for the OG as well. In general the questions on the test were supposed to be slightly tougher than on the GMATPrep and OG.
Also, when I was practicing with the GMATClub tests I found them pretty difficult. Many of the GMATClub number properties questions were tough and I couldn't do them within two minutes. I thought that this was ok since the actual GMAT quant questions were supposed to be easier than the GMATClub test questions.

However after taking the actual GMAT it seems to me that the quant standard has risen and that the GMATClub tests are only slightly tougher than the actual GMAT quant. Also, the questions on the actual GMAT seemed different (I'm just not able to quantify this)..they just seemed slightly different from the questions I had encountered during practice. One example is that I faced atleast 2 questions in number properties with multiple variables and inequalities in addition to the equation having exponents. I never saw such questions in the OG or GMATPrep.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 1

Re: Done and dusted!! 730 (Q49 V40) [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 21:09
This post received
KUDOS
sidhu4u wrote:
@nikhil,

During my preparation I was under the impression that the GMATPrep tests are a good indicator of the standard of quant on the test. I held the same belief for the OG as well. In general the questions on the test were supposed to be slightly tougher than on the GMATPrep and OG.
Also, when I was practicing with the GMATClub tests I found them pretty difficult. Many of the GMATClub number properties questions were tough and I couldn't do them within two minutes. I thought that this was ok since the actual GMAT quant questions were supposed to be easier than the GMATClub test questions.

However after taking the actual GMAT it seems to me that the quant standard has risen and that the GMATClub tests are only slightly tougher than the actual GMAT quant. Also, the questions on the actual GMAT seemed different (I'm just not able to quantify this)..they just seemed slightly different from the questions I had encountered during practice. One example is that I faced atleast 2 questions in number properties with multiple variables and inequalities in addition to the equation having exponents. I never saw such questions in the OG or GMATPrep.

Thanks sidhu for your comments...
One last question..
I am trying to maximize my Quant score.
I am getting 28 to 31 right in gmatclub tests..(in timed mode).
So how do you rank or define this performance ?
Also any last 3 week tips ?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 53

Re: Done and dusted!! 730 (Q49 V40) [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 02:43
This post received
KUDOS
well done and congratulations!!!

+some kudos for you

Do your best, forget the rest!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 13

Reviews Badge
Re: Done and dusted!! 730 (Q49 V40) [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 08:54
@nikhil,

28 to 31 is pretty good for GMATClub quants. Make sure to revisit the same tests, and see if you are able to better these scores. That will give you sufficient practice. One of the types of questions lacking in the GMATClub tests is the tough word problems. Try searching the gmatclub and mgmat math forums for these.

If possible you could take the MGMAT online tests that come free with purchase of any MGMAT guide. These really help identify weak areas and is good for fine tuning performance during the last 2 weeks. If you're considering whether to buy or not, do the free sample online test and then decide.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Done and dusted!! 730 (Q49 V40) [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 08:57
Hello
Is it possible to appear for GMAT in Oct and still be able to have time for applying to B-schools for 2011 Class?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: Done and dusted!! 730 (Q49 V40) [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 10:07
AbinashGMAT wrote:
Hello
Is it possible to appear for GMAT in Oct and still be able to have time for applying to B-schools for 2011 Class?

Yes, it is definitely possible. Most schools have their round one deadlines sometime in October so you will be able to apply in round two or round three.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Done and dusted!! 730 (Q49 V40) [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 10:11
thanks sidhu...All the best for applications..
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

Re: Done and dusted!! 730 (Q49 V40) [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 01:31
Sidhu, thanks for the wonderful debrief. Could you please attach the answers to the SC questions in .xls format please? I have windows XP and it does not recognize the .xlsx format. Thanks!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 22

Re: Done and dusted!! 730 (Q49 V40) [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 07:00
Thanks for the debrief! Very detailed and helpful.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: Done and dusted!! 730 (Q49 V40) [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 09:37
@nikhil, Thanks.

@anand,
Here is the file in xls format.
Attachment:
GPOA.xls [234 KiB]
Downloaded 108 times
To download please login or register as a user

@must82
I think in the initial stages I made quite a few mistakes in OG 12. The first 50 questions were very easy, but the last 50 questions I found pretty tough. My accuracy rate during my initial prep for the last 50 questions must have been around 65%.
However towards the end of my prep the accuracy rate for the last 50 questions was around 90% or higher. In the remaining OG questions I barely made a mistake. This was across both quant and verbal. This is because towards the end of my prep I started finding the OG 12 questions very easy in comparison to the tougher GMATClub math tests and the tough standard of english in the ManhattanGMAT online tests.

@jcbruin,
You're welcome.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Done and dusted!! 730 (Q49 V40) [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 16:18
Great debrief Sidhu. Thanks for the sharing this. Good luck for your applications.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

Re: Done and dusted!! 730 (Q49 V40) [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 19:01
Congratulations! You give excellent advise.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 12

Re: Done and dusted!! 730 (Q49 V40) [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 20:55
Excellent debriefing !!
Good luck in your application...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 3

Re: Done and dusted!! 730 (Q49 V40) [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 22:35
Wonderful Debrief !! Congrats!

Could you upload GMAT_LSAT_CR.doc document please.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

Re: Done and dusted!! 730 (Q49 V40) [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2010, 01:03
Congrats and gud luck for ur B-School app!!!

I downloaded the LSAT CR doc from the internet. but i am not able to get the RC doc you mentioned in your debrief. Can you please let me know abt RC doc .

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: SigEp

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 9

Re: Done and dusted!! 730 (Q49 V40) [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2010, 05:22
Thanks for your debrief and building my confidence!

I have the MGMAT SC Guide and have found it very useful like you mentioned, I have also already taken the entire Princeton Course but am still doing very poorly in Quant (Sub 35) ..
Would you suggest the MGMAT Number Properties book to build a better base or should I start elsewhere? I'm not very analytical as you might assume and looking for something that will help and not discourage.
Re: Done and dusted!! 730 (Q49 V40)   [#permalink] 30 Jul 2010, 05:22