Finally I am done with GMAT. Scored 720
, what a relief. Would share my story in brief.My Profile
: Indian IT Male, 6 years Exp.
GMAT booked : 17th June 09. Preparation started the same day.
GMAT taken : 05th August 09.
Preparation time : 50 days.
Score : 720 Q50, V38. (overall 94 %ile) AWA - 5.5Books and materials referred :
2. Kaplan Verbal workbook
3. Kaplan Premier
4. Manhattan SC Guide
5. 1000 SC.Tests taken prior to GMAT
(not in chronological order):
1. GMAT Prep1 - taken thrice - : 700 (Q49, V37) , 700 (Q50, V35) , 740 (Q49, V42)
2. GMAT Prep2 - taken twice - : 720
(Q50, V38), 730 (Q49, V40)
3. MGMAT Free test - 670 ( Q48, V33 )
4. MGMAT 1 - 640 - ( Q46, V32 )
5. MGMAT 2 - 680 - ( Q48, V34 )
6. MGMAT 3 - 710 - ( Q51, V36 )
7. MGMAT 4 - 720 - ( Q51, V37 )
8. MGMAT 5 - 710 - ( Q49, V38 )
9. MGMAT 6 - 680 - ( Q49, V34 )
Test on CD - 1 - 590 (Q48 V28)
Here is a summary of what I have to say about my GMAT experience and advice to others.
1. Regular practice is the key. How many days you take, depends on the individual, but I think one should be in touch always. One month practice, then break, the practice is not the way. You should be in the zone when you are taking the actual GMAT. For this, one has to build a momentum , and carry that to the test.
2. At the time of the test, staying focused is the key. Take a lot of mock tests to make yourself aware of test environment. To gauge time strategies etc..
3. GMATPrep tests
are the key to success. You should use them wisely. Retaking them helps, but you should not retake within 2-3 days else there is a repeat of questions and you will get skewed scores. I would suggest one should take the GMATPrep tests
atleast 3-4 times. Save GMATPrep 2 for last 5-10 days of your preparation and take this test in absolute test environment with AWA, breaks etc. Try to score as much as in GMATPrep2 and do look at where you went wrong.
4. For any materials other than SC, i dont think you need to go for materials beyond OG. Take the OG seriously, and keep a error log
. Revisit OG once completed. For PS/DS I reinstalled GMATPrep quite a lot of time and got a lot of new questions. It is a huge bank !
5. For SC, Manhattan SC Guide is a must. I also referred to the 1000SC series.
books and tests are a waste of time, in my opinion. Kaplan
tests have different styles of questions, esp in Verbal, and sometimes I didn't agree to their CR answers. So i found them useless.
7. For AWA, one must practice writing, and that too in test environment. Sometimes 30 minutes seem very less a time.
A little bit about my profile and goals:
1. Want to go into IT consulting post MBA.
2. Looking for schools strong in entrepreneurship and Consulting.
3. Looking for schools in UK.
My Blog - http://followingmydream.wordpress.com/
My GMAT story - http://gmatclub.com/forum/done-with-gmat-finally-scored-81966.html