Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Anybody?? [#permalink]
Also

can I be accepted to MBA School based on the following:

GPA 2.9 My dad got sick and dead while I was in undergraduate and that is why GPA was low.

Gmat have not been taken yet but will in December.

Career : 4 years with same company as a staff accountant no real promotions but added responsiblities. Concerned the junior accountant.
Plus helping out in the family business

This is my first job out of college...

Extracurricular activities:
Sunday School Teacher at my local parish.

I know I dont have the intellengence for the elite schools .
I want a career that will not consume my life but I will make good money. Also I know I want to open my own business some day...
Dont know if this is the right time for me to apply for MBA?

Can I get into any schools?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi,

I am quite certain that you could get accepted to an MBA program- the real challenge is finding one that fits your goals and needs.

Have you looked at the UMass MBA programs?

Hjort
Intern
Intern
Send PM
re UMass [#permalink]
Hi Hjort,
I have looked at Suffolk University which has a satilite campus at
Merrimack College which my old aluma matter. Which does do Part time and course can be taken in Boston and at Merrimack.
I have looked at Endicott College, Bentley College, and Salem State.
I think Babson is way out of my league. Can i ask this question?
By me not going to a top tier Mba school does it make sense for me to get my MBA at all?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi again,

I think that is a good question to ask since it goes to the heart of determining why you want an MBA.

Just as there are many relatively unknown colleges that provide an excellent education, there are many fine MBA programs that are outside of the "top tier." The key is to determine what you hope to get out of attending an MBA program and then see if the schools you are considering can help you achieve these goals (and at a price you consider reasonable).

Hjort
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re Hi [#permalink]
hi Hjort,
How do I know if a program is right.
I know I dont to be a CEO of a fortune 500 at least this point in my life.
I want an MBA to help me with the next step in my career whether it be a
promotion or expansion in my current field or opening my own business one day... But I dont want my career to be my life.
So does will an education say from Suffolk instead harvard hurt me in what I want to do? I know that I cant afford the cost of a harvard education
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Re: Dont know if I can get in anywhere and [#permalink]
Expert Reply
tel93 wrote:
Hi Everyone,
I have decided to go for my Mba.
I am not sure what i want to concentrate in.
I do know my GPA is weak at 2.9 and I know i have to score high on GMATs to make up for it.
After this I am lost.
How should I study? Whose recommendations should i get?
MY career experience as been as an accountant with the same company for 4 years.

I dont think i am the right candidate for my mba or I am even smart enough.
I was thinking about doing a part time MBA.

Can anyone help me?? I am lost

Hjort has helped you already. As he said, you have to decide if a certain program is worth the money and time, by first determining your goals and then examining whether the program achieves them both in terms of what you actually hope to learn and in terms of professional opportunity.

Considering your entrepreneurial goals, I think you should take a second look at Babson. Keep in mind that it has a part-time program and a one-year full-time MBA. Both can significantly reduce the cost actual cost by reducing your opportunity cost. Finally, financial aid is sometimes obtainable. My recommendation would be to apply and if you are accepted but don't obtain financial aid, go elsewhere. But first try to see if Babson can fit in your budget.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re [#permalink]
Hi Linda,
Thanks for the advice about Babson,
If aid is not avaliable then what other school would you recommend?
Have you heard about Suffolk?
My concern about Babson is the commute also...
Do you think I can get in?
Send PM
Re: Re [#permalink]
Expert Reply
tel93 wrote:
Hi Linda,
Thanks for the advice about Babson,
If aid is not avaliable then what other school would you recommend?
Have you heard about Suffolk?
My concern about Babson is the commute also...
Do you think I can get in?

Look into Boston University and Boston College. I am not familiar with Suffolk's program.

If you have a GMAT score that is competitive for Babson, given the other information you have provided, you would have a competitive profile for Babson and a reasonable chance to gain admission.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re [#permalink]
Hi Linda,
A couple more questions,
I wondering about applying to schools in Boston based on the fact on the commute from the vicinity where I work. I know BU is out of the question based on the fact that Enrollment is only september and I am looking to start a program in January. Do you think that it is worth getting an MBA from a school that is not a top tier school?
Send PM
Expert Reply
tel93 wrote:
Hi Linda,
A couple more questions,
I wondering about applying to schools in Boston based on the fact on the commute from the vicinity where I work. I know BU is out of the question based on the fact that Enrollment is only september and I am looking to start a program in January. Do you think that it is worth getting an MBA from a school that is not a top tier school?

That depends what you want to do. If you want to stay in the Boston area and are mainly interested in an MBA because you want to acquire certain information and skills, then attending a local school with a good regional reputation and placement resources will help you achieve your goals even if it does not have a national or international reputaiton.

On the other hand, if you also want to acquire a nationally or internationally recognized credential and network, then a regional school without a national repuation will not help you much.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
re [#permalink]
How do i know if it is local school has a good reputation?
Send PM
Re: re [#permalink]
Expert Reply
tel93 wrote:
How do i know if it is local school has a good reputation?

There are three primary ways:

1) Contact the school's career center and see who recruits and hires at the school. See the salaries of graduates. How do they compare with graduates of other schools in your area?

2) If you can, contact potential employers and ask them about the reputation of Local School X. Is the employer happy with graduates? Does the employer intend to hire additional graduates of the school?

3) Talk to recent grads. How did they do in the job market? Are they finding the program to have been valuable. Is the alumni network active and supportive?

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re [#permalink]
Hi Linda,
Thanks for the info..
I will try those suggestions but any advice about the essays?
Also I have given up on Babson based on the fact the commute would be too much.. So I am remaining with Bentely, Suffolk, Umass Boston, Endicott and Salem State are these too many school?
Send PM
Expert Reply
tel93 wrote:
Hi Linda,
Thanks for the info..
I will try those suggestions but any advice about the essays?
Also I have given up on Babson based on the fact the commute would be too much.. So I am remaining with Bentely, Suffolk, Umass Boston, Endicott and Salem State are these too many school?

Click here for advice an writing MBA essay.
GMAT Club Bot