Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 08:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Dont know what went wrong. Please aqdvise, even if its rude

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Dont know what went wrong. Please aqdvise, even if its rude [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2010, 07:21
I am an MBA from India 99 batch, AVP with the multinational bank ( About to become VP ). Gave my first GMAT in November and scored 560 ( Q= 39, V = 28), and reappeared today for my gmat and scored 580 ( Q=37, V=32). TOEFL = 106.
Though i couldn't afford to take leave from work and study but really worked hard post office and on weekends, but still no success. I am doing good in my job and will surely keep progressing but its my dream to have MBA from top 10 and also to have international work experience. This is my first blog here and need advise from young people here to know as to where i am going wrong. I am a highly rated and regarded employee in my organisation. Get paid more then the average salary ( In terms of Purchasing power parity ) of harvard or LBS graduates, but still just want to fulfill my dream of Ivy MBA at any cost. I guess there is some insanity in all of us and i have my own level of it.
Please advise as i don't want to apply anywhere with these scores, not because of the fear of rejection but coz i am ashamed of these scores. Should i re-take it third time and if i should then what should i do to improve my score.

Cheers & Smiles :) !
( Celebrating my GMAT today with single malt, cause nothing bad can be so bad that one spoil the wonderful evening of life coz life is short and sweet for those who live it everyday as if its the last day)

" Problems are Purposeful Roadblocks Offering Beneficial Lessons (to) Enhance Mental Strength. Inner strength comes from struggle and endurance, not when you are free from problems "
Cheers !

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 37

Re: Dont know what went wrong. Please aqdvise, even if its rude [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2010, 07:34
Rohitsb, my suggestion is to re-take the GMAT and try your best to improve it. Use preparation devices, such as GMATPrep (can be downloaded for free at mba.com) and this forum. If you purchase one book from Manhattan GMAT, you'll gain access to 6 different online CAT tests. Princeton Review also offers a free test on its website. Without a higher score, your chances for top 10 become ever slimmer. A 560 from GMAT will basically put you at the bottom of the food chain. How much to improve on GMAT is going to depend on what your grade was in school, how you execute your application, etc. If you're thinking about a top 10 MBA school from the States, aim nothing lower than a 650 on your GMAT.

This, of course, is my personal opinion. Let's see what others say as well.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2326

Kudos [?]: 9466 [1] , given: 3702

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Dont know what went wrong. Please aqdvise, even if its rude [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2010, 09:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Rohitsb,

Great attitude! Keep it going. One issue that you probably it is lack of solid time to devote to refreshing your math and verbal - it's best if you can spend an hour or two studying a concept and then working on questions and then do a mistake analysis. See this thread for some suggestions: should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html

Also, wanted to bring to your attention that many of the MBA programs will not let you get a second MBA degree, so you will have to figure out how to deal with that one. Do a search - you will find a number of discussions.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Dont know what went wrong. Please aqdvise, even if its rude [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 14:51
Here is a really great podcast from MBAPodcaster speaking with various different admissions directors and test prep consultants discussing whether you should retake the GMAT and how to decide.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Dont know what went wrong. Please aqdvise, even if its rude [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 18:22
Baks, BB, Amy, i thanks you guys for sparing time to reply to my post, it will really help me to decide on my next step.

BB, specially your post and link did gave a perspective. Yes, and i did identified the mistake i was committing in my preparation. As i dont get much time to study, so i was just solving problems on various topics rather then first re-visiting the concept especially in quants.
I got revert from Sloan MSC program of LBS ( Top in my list ) and it was really encouraging. They did find my profile a good fit for the program, though my work experience in one year lower than typical class profile.
Having said that, the GMAT requirement is 600 plus, so i will re-appear for GMAT, but this time with full preparation as have few months before the R3 of Sloan.

Thanks Again

" Problems are Purposeful Roadblocks Offering Beneficial Lessons (to) Enhance Mental Strength. Inner strength comes from struggle and endurance, not when you are free from problems "
Cheers !

This user is a Spammer and was Banned

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Dont know what went wrong. Please aqdvise, even if its rude [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2010, 16:39
Edit: Spam message removed
Re: Dont know what went wrong. Please aqdvise, even if its rude   [#permalink] 13 Feb 2010, 16:39