Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 22:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Doubt in 700+ SC questions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Doubt in 700+ SC questions [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2013, 08:38
A study commissioned by Department of Agriculture showed that if calves exercise and associated with other calves,they will require less medication and gain weight quicker than do those raised in confinement.

The correct answer is : associate with other calves,they require less medication and gain weight more quickly than

My doubt is how is the answer right when it has omitted the do after then,shouldn't the answer be : 'associate with other calves,they require less medication and gain weight more quickly than do '

In another question:

Inuits of the Bearing Sea were in isolation with European longer than Aleuts or Inuits of the North Pacific and northern Alaska.

The correct answer is 'isolated from contact with Europeans longer than were'. Here the were after than is retained.Please explain why not in the first question.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 536 [1] , given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Doubt in 700+ SC questions [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2013, 08:59
This post received
KUDOS
Mis wrote:
A study commissioned by Department of Agriculture showed that if calves exercise and associated with other calves,they will require less medication and gain weight quicker than do those raised in confinement.

The correct answer is : associate with other calves,they require less medication and gain weight more quickly than

My doubt is how is the answer right when it has omitted the do after then,shouldn't the answer be : 'associate with other calves,they require less medication and gain weight more quickly than do '

In another question:

Inuits of the Bearing Sea were in isolation with European longer than Aleuts or Inuits of the North Pacific and northern Alaska.

The correct answer is 'isolated from contact with Europeans longer than were'. Here the were after than is retained.Please explain why not in the first question.

hi its all based on camparison and depending on the ambiguity you have to retain the verb

lets take second statement first:
Inuits of the Bearing Sea were isolated from contact with Europeans longer than were Aleuts or Inuits of the North Pacific and northern Alaska.
here the intended meaning is I(inuits) were isolated from EUROPEANS longer than A(aleuts) were isolated.
or in short isolation time between I and EUROPEANS was greater than isolation time of A and EUROPEANS.

Now if you remove WERE ==the one which is used after than ...sentence becomes:
Inuits of the Bearing Sea were isolated from contact with Europeans longer than Aleuts or Inuits of the North Pacific and northern Alaska.
HERE Comes the AMBIGUITY....
now there are two meaning possible:
1) ISOLATION time of I and EUROPEANS was greater than isolation time I and A
2) isolation time between I and EUROPEANS was greater than isolation time of A and EUROPEANS.
THAT IS THE REASON WE ARE KEEPING WERE IN THIS TO CLEAR THE AMBIGUITY.

NOW in our first sentence:A study commissioned by Department of Agriculture showed that if calves exercise and associate with other calves,they require less medication and gain weight more quickly than those raised in confinement

here the comparison is between only 2 types of calves.==> calves those raised in confinement and calves those exercise and associate with other calves.
here there is no ambiguity thats why we can omit the things in the second half.

KUDOS If it helped

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Re: Doubt in 700+ SC questions   [#permalink] 29 Jun 2013, 08:59