Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 02:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Doubt in Assumption Negation Technique

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 136

Doubt in Assumption Negation Technique [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2012, 06:44
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 3 sessions
Hi Experts,

Request you to please provide your reasoning on how to apply assumption negation technique. I can apply ANT to the premises where we usually do not have modifiers in the clauses. I would like to know how do you make sure whether a modifier needs to be negated or the verb. Please see below three examples.

1) A corporate fiancial portfolio can only be successful if it includes derivatives to hedge its positions

2) People admit to having only those character flaws that most other people consider trivial.

3) No motifs appear in the Sepphoris mosaics that do not also appear in the mosaics of some other Roman city

Lets take first premise for example.What would be the negated assumption:

A corporate fiancial portfolio can only be successful if it includes derivatives to hedge its positions

a) A corporate financial portfolio can not be successful even it includes derivatives to hedge its positions

or

b) A corporate financial portfolio can only be successful if it doesn't includes derivatives..

What is the correct negated premise. Is it a or b. I have seen questions where sometimes modifiers are negated and sometimes verbs are negated. Please put your thoughts across.

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 97

GMAT Tests User
Re: Doubt in Assumption Negation Technique [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2012, 06:56
1) A corporate fiancial portfolio can only be successful if it includes derivatives to hedge its positions

A corporate fiancial portfolio CANNOT only be successful if it includes derivatives to hedge its positions

2) People admit to having only those character flaws that most other people consider trivial.
People DO NOT admit to having only those character flaws that most other people consider trivial.

3) No motifs appear in the Sepphoris mosaics that do not also appear in the mosaics of some other Roman city
motifs appear in the Sepphoris mosaics that do not also appear in the mosaics of some other Roman city

Its also about understanding vvhat you are trying to negate just trying to fit in the NOT and the no is not going to help

It is raining outside vvhile the sun is still shinnning
Negate: it is not raining vvhile the sun is still shinning

It is also about the meaning and the main point of the overall argument that youare also trying to acheive

If you dont paraphrase you vvont be able to also get to the point to knovv vvhat you are trying to negate
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1081

Kudos [?]: 4860 [2] , given: 163

Re: Doubt in Assumption Negation Technique [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 09:32
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
imhimanshu wrote:
Hi Experts,

Request you to please provide your reasoning on how to apply assumption negation technique. I can apply ANT to the premises where we usually do not have modifiers in the clauses. I would like to know how do you make sure whether a modifier needs to be negated or the verb. Please see below three examples.

Lets take first premise for example.What would be the negated assumption:

A corporate fiancial portfolio can only be successful if it includes derivatives to hedge its positions

a) A corporate financial portfolio can not be successful even it includes derivatives to hedge its positions

or

b) A corporate financial portfolio can only be successful if it doesn't includes derivatives..

What is the correct negated premise. Is it a or b. I have seen questions where sometimes modifiers are negated and sometimes verbs are negated. Please put your thoughts across.

I think you are over-thinking here. Say, someone tells you something. You answer back with "Wrong." and then a statement stating your position. What would you say?
A: One can only be successful if one works hard.
B: Wrong! One can be successful without working hard too.

How did you negate "can only be"? You used "can be"

A: A corporate fiancial portfolio can only be successful if it includes derivatives to hedge its positions
B: Wrong: A corporate fiancial portfolio can be successful without including derivatives to hedge its positions

A: People admit to having only those character flaws that most other people consider trivial.
B: Wrong. People admit to other character flaws too.

A: No motifs appear in the Sepphoris mosaics that do not also appear in the mosaics of some other Roman city
B: Wrong. Some motifs appear in the Sepphoris mosaics that do not also appear in the mosaics of some other Roman city

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

SVP
SVP
Followers: 235

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Doubt in Assumption Negation Technique [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2014, 18:56
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Doubt in Assumption Negation Technique   [#permalink] 23 Mar 2014, 18:56