Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:14 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Weakenx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2737 [38]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [10]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 519 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2737 [0]
Send PM
Re: Robot satellites relay important communications and identify weather [#permalink]
Guys - I trimmed the answer choices down to D/E and went with E. However, I dont completely understand why D is incorrect?

Could one of you please explain as to why D is incorrect. Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 622 [1]
Send PM
Re: Robot satellites relay important communications and identify weather [#permalink]
Kudos
vksunder wrote:
Guys - I trimmed the answer choices down to D/E and went with E. However, I dont completely understand why D is incorrect?

Could one of you please explain as to why D is incorrect. Thanks!

we haev to select the option that would "most" seriously weaken the argument..

lets look D and E in plain words

D : repair of satellites will cost $ 5M (some huge amount) becuase of fuel required to send the heavy equipment and astronauts .. but we dont know what is the cost of sending new satellite... may be less, may be more ... we dont know. so cant conlude

E : repairing is more costly than sending new....

clear E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2737 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
NOw that I'm thinking about D, it could be incorrect because the reasoning appears to be generic. That is, the repair costs is applicalbe to all satellities (robot satellities and other kinds)

Thanks for the explanation durgesh! Later guys
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [4]
Given Kudos: 48
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V29
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
This is a question from the Comprehensive Critical Reasoning Guide by gmatclub.

Robot satellites relay important communications and identify weather patterns. Because the satellites can be repaired only in orbit, astronauts are needed to repair them. Without repairs, the satellites would eventually malfunction. Therefore, space flights carrying astronauts must continue{Conclusion}.
Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the argument above?

A. Satellites falling from orbit because of malfunctions burn up in the atmosphere – Irrelevant.

B. Although satellites are indispensable in the identification of weather patterns, weather forecasters also make some use of computer projections to identify weather patterns. This doesn’t provide a reason for not sending astronauts to space. Once again, out of scope.

C. The government, responding to public pressure, has decided to cut the budget for space flights and put more money into social welfare programs. Though this seems like a right answer, think about it. This is lots of irrelevant information, and doesn’t answer our question directly. Incorrect.

D. Repair of satellites requires heavy equipment, which adds to the amount of fuel needed to lift a spaceship carrying astronauts into orbit. Fuel? This is a shell game fallacy. Clearly shows a statement that could be true and is very attractive to the test taker, but irrelevant to what’s asked. Incorrect.

E. Technical obsolescence of robot satellites makes repairing them more costly and less practical than sending new, improved satellites into orbit. This makes sense. If repair cost > new satellite cost, why send astronauts to space to repair them? Just send new satellites. Hence this is correct.

I Would like to know why Option B is marked as "out of scope" while option E is marked correct.
the argument does talk about the robot satellites and whether pattern, but nothing about its costing.

Then why do we refute option B.

All help is appreciated.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [1]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I would like to add my 2 cents here. I completely agreeing with Mr. Eli that CR would be too easy if weakeners refuted the facts presented in the argument. I believe that you need to eliminate choice B, you comprehend and understand it. I have reproduced the choice below:

Quote:
Although satellites are indispensablein the identification of weather patterns, weather forecasters alsomake some use of computer projections to identify weather patterns

Notice the use of highlighted words: indispensable and also. By using "indispensable" this choice is saying that you need weather satellites. A weakener would actually say the opposite. Similarly, by using "also" the author is merely talking about some gadgetry that is needed "in addition to" satellites. Its like saying...

While tablet ,mode in computers are indispensable for the consumption of information on the go, PC modes are also required to stay productive on the road. - note we are not saying that the presence of PC mode obviates the need for tablet mode.

Let me know if this makes sense.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6040 [0]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
IS option D incorrect because the inspite of high costs the space flights will continue. Whereas in option E it rules that case out completely?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
[quote="fozzzy"]IS option D incorrect because the inspite of high costs the space flights will continue. Whereas in option E it rules that case out completel
hi,

conclusion: robot satellite repair is must==>therefore space flight is must.==>we have to weaken this or in other words we have to say that space flight is not required.

(D) Repair of satellites requires heavy equipment, which adds to the amount of fuel needed to lift
a spaceship carrying astronauts into orbit. ==>this does not say that repair is not required so still there are chances of satellites malfunctioning and hence technician still will be required==>hence doesnt weaken.

(E) Technical obsolescence of robot satellites makes repairing them more costly and less practical than sending new, improved satellites into orbit.===>now it is saying that if new satellites are replaced===>no techinician required to repair==>hence no space flight required.==>hence weaken

so your thinking was right that it is ruling out the possibility of space flight use.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Why is option C incorrect?Is it because it covers only about weather patterns and not about important communications ??
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [0]
Send PM
swati007 wrote:
Why is option C incorrect?Is it because it covers only about weather patterns and not about important communications ??

HI swati..
i dint find any talk regarding weather pattern in option C:

(C) The government, responding to public pressure, has decided to cut the budget for space flights and put more money into social welfare programs.

Please make it clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
shaileshmishra wrote:
swati007 wrote:

HI swati..
i dint find any talk regarding weather pattern in option C:

(C) The government, responding to public pressure, has decided to cut the budget for space flights and put more money into social welfare programs.

Please make it clear.

Sorry, I meant option B. Is this incorrect because it covers only about weather patterns and not about important communications
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [1]
Send PM