Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:09 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [1]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [1]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Bookmarks
Anyone been to scribd.com?

You wont believe what you can find there. Try a search for mkinsey for example. I wont link directly to it, cause im not so sure all that stuff isnt copyrighted, but you can find a lot of stuff there. Complete wetfeet guides... etc. Or try a search for "MBA".
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:

You wont believe what you can find there. Try a search for mkinsey for example. I wont link directly to it, cause im not so sure all that stuff isnt copyrighted, but you can find a lot of stuff there. Complete wetfeet guides... etc. Or try a search for "MBA".

thanks rhyme, now i can look busy staring at my monitor all day.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [2]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
pelihu wrote:
usctrojan098 wrote:
kripalkavi wrote:
3. Most people say that consultants just restate the obvious using 'business jargon'. Is this true?

No, my colleagues and I provide high value-add deliverables that include actionable recommendations based on best practices. We also provide robust next steps to help our clients move the needle in a way that revolutionizes their business. The takeaway from all of this (at 30,000 feet, anyway) is that we develop a synergistic relationship with our clients that leverages their core competencies and our IP to deliver a compelling value proposition.

This is your evidence of not using "business jargon", or was this a joke?

1. high value-add
2. deliverables
3. actionable
4. best practices
5. robust next steps
6. revolutionize
7. takeaway
8. synergistic
9. leverages
10. core competencies
11. IP
12. compelling value proposition.

:lol:

You also forgot:
13. move the needle
14. at 30,000 feet

But you passed the test. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
kripalkavi wrote:
usctrojan098 wrote:
You call that last paragraph of mine nothing?

Like I said, I didn't mean to offend anybody.

Rhyme and I were being facetious, buddy. Sorry about that.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMATT73 wrote:
usctrojan098 wrote:
Consultants are the doctors of business (and sometimes, the psychiatrists).

A doctor can prescribe all she wants, but a patient will never get better unless he actually takes the medicine.

Bingo, but a great doctor will convince the patient to take the medicine and then monitor their progress.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
usctrojan098 wrote:
GMATT73 wrote:
usctrojan098 wrote:

A doctor can prescribe all she wants, but a patient will never get better unless he actually takes the medicine.

Bingo, but a great doctor will convince the patient to take the medicine and then monitor their progress.

But if you didn't drink and smoke so much, you probably wouldn't have gotten sick in the first place.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:

Yeah, they even have the full text of the 911 Commission Report. Great database.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
rhyme wrote:
As for what consultants actually provide? I take a slightly more cynical approach... I think that in some cases, consultants add a lot of value because they bring a fresh perspective, but I also think that consultants are more often than not hired not for their expertise but because they provide plausible deniability. If things go good, "hey It was my idea to bring in Deloitte". If things go to the crapper, "Look, Deloitte told us to do it."

Being able to point the finger at somebody else is, indeed, a benefit of hiring an external consulting firm. Especially for layoffs. When you see a consultant appear and then employees disappear a few days later, don't always believe that it was the consultant who drove them out. Especially if the CEO says "Well, Consulting Firm X told us to do it." You don't make those kinds of life-changing decisions without at least scrutinizing the consultant's analysis.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
usctrojan098 wrote:
GMATT73 wrote:
usctrojan098 wrote:

But if you didn't drink and smoke so much, you probably wouldn't have gotten sick in the first place.

Yeah, but those substance abuse problems are probably the result of issues that started in early childhood.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
usctrojan098 wrote:
rhyme wrote:
usctrojan098 wrote:
GMATT73 wrote:
usctrojan098 wrote:

Yeah, but those substance abuse problems are probably the result of issues that started in early childhood.

Enough with the analogies people! We get the point! :-D

Rhyme wrote:
Harldy. Consultants utilize best practices to synthesize data into actionable result oriented recommendations. We leverage internal intellectual property and due diligence skills to develop best of breed industry practices across our core competencies. By initiating our drill down efforts from the helicopter view, we level set the issue and and tackle low hanging fruit first. In so doing, we dial in the right areas and ensure our final deliverables bring value add to the table.

lol!! Business jargon?! Where? When?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
[#permalink]
Edit: lol, i'm probably offending someone, i'll edit this out.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [5]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
One more note from me, and this is an obvious but not-often-talked-about piece of advice.

If you want to be in a consulting firm after b-school, please take into account the offices that you are applying to. It matters - more than the consulting firms will tell you. Consider these facts:

- Supply and demand matters. If you want to work in New York, well so does everybody else. Put New York as your first choice and you are jumping into an excessively competitive pool.
- Diversity matters. Nobody wants their office to be full of people all from the same school. So if you're from Stanford and want to work in San Francisco, or Kellogg and want to work in Chicago, then you're placing yourself into an excessively large pool. On the other hand, if you're from Stanford and want to work in Chicago, or Kellogg and want to work in San Francisco, then you've just made your life that much easier.
- Fit matters. Want to work in Los Angeles? Sounds great...do you think you fit in with LA people at your b-school? Trying to prove to a consulting firm that you "fit" is difficult enough without also trying to adjust your personality to match a local office.

DO YOUR RESEARCH - put just as much effort (or more) into studying the culture of each consulting firm as you did when you applied to b-schools. Do not declare office preferences without thinking this strategic element through. If you're dying to be a consultant, but aren't tied down anywhere and know you're going to be traveling all the time, then play it as safe as you can. I hear Cleveland and Denver are nice.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
usctrojan098 wrote:
DO YOUR RESEARCH - put just as much effort (or more) into studying the culture of each consulting firm as you did when you applied to b-schools. Do not declare office preferences without thinking this strategic element through. If you're dying to be a consultant, but aren't tied down anywhere and know you're going to be traveling all the time, then play it as safe as you can. I hear Cleveland and Denver are nice.

Funny, I've never heard that about Cleveland. :lol:

Of course, I'm sure you are right that competition for jobs there will be less intense.[/quote]
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Hi guys, very useful thread here, thanks to all the people who shared their experiences. I have a couple questions:

1) I am a hard working and ambitious person...but if I want to sleep 8 hours a day and work out twice a week, is that feasible as a MC? I am assuming IB is not possible if I want that kind of lifestyle, but maybe MC?

2) How good is the compensation? Is it much worse than IB or comparable? What's the salary range say coming right out of bschool, after 3 years, and after 5 years? What's the career progression?

3) Anybody know about MC in Asia? Is it the same lifestyle? same pay as the western world? I am talking about McK BCG and Bain in particular.

4) Is it possible to work in MC for a few years, then switch to PE/VC/HF? Is that option available?

5) What do you guys think of an MC internship? I heard it's not necessary to get into the field? So what would you recommend for internship? Maybe an IB internship?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [3]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos