Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
Hey, I have a question for practicing consultants. Are you normally credited for travel time? Is this billed to clients? What about delays in travel, are those charged to clients as well?

I ask because for most service industries, the amount of chargeable/creditable time is very important. It would be interesting to know if people that travel regularly and extensively are credited with the time they spend traveling.

I am working as an internal IT consultant for the past 2 years. Typically you dont bill the hours you travel neither the extra hours you sit in office to finish regular work. But if you work on weekends or are on call then you bill these hrs. If you travel to other client locations for official purpose then you are generally expected to reach there well in time to have normal working day..if it involves a lot of travel then you get to bill those hours but if its a place which is say 2 hrs from the one you work you normally travel early in morning work 8 hrs and travel back late in evening.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
Hey, I have a question for practicing consultants. Are you normally credited for travel time? Is this billed to clients? What about delays in travel, are those charged to clients as well?

I have traditionally worked on fixed price (not time & expense) projects, so my answer is a little bit irrelevant to this question. But I do report travel time, including delays, and us consultants are even asked to mark it as travel time.

Although this information is not necessarily relevant to my client, it is certainly relevant to my firm for two reasons:
- We track hours to make sure that our consultants are not working unreasonable hours (daily, weekly, or monthly). The presumption is that high hours reports are the fault of management, not the consultant, and management must work to make those hours more sustainable.
- Travel is understandably taxing, particularly over the long term. We track both hours spent working outside the home office as well as nights spent away from home. Consultants who travel extensively are considered priority for the next low-travel project.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:

It varies across the board. A good friend worked at Accenture, and they had fixed fee engagements so he was never billing per hour. At my firm, we bill by the hour but it still varies. If the client is in bankruptcy (I work in turnaround management), we know the court won't approve the bill we submit for travel time. That always gets pulled out, but we submit the bill regardless.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
Do you have to keep those irritating hour-by-hour timesheet entries as long as the firm stays in bankruptcy? I had to do that at a client... every hour I billed I had to track what I did. Evil.

We track our time by the quarter hour for clients outside of bankruptcy, and by the tenth of an hour for those in bankruptcy. The court appointed trustee reviews all professional fee applications, and it's required by the tenth of an hour.

What's funny is it makes our time recording less accurate, because you don't want them trying to match up detailed time logs with the person you said you're in a meeting with, or the client. One of many examples of good intended but very poor legislation.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
It is possible to get into a major management consultancy firm at 34? Is age a recruitment criteria?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
gauravgoyal_g wrote:
It is possible to get into a major management consultancy firm at 34? Is age a recruitment criteria?

Your age wont be a concern. Mostly because they dont really care, but really because it would be illegal if they did.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
gauravgoyal_g wrote:

I was asking the same question at 25, and the answer was no. They tend to take people right out of undergrad or business school. Instead I found a small firm focused on turnaround management and absolutely love it. Point being, there are many more small consulting firms out there than you would imagine, and you'd probably enjoy working at some of them. They may be easier to break into given your background and their focus, so be open to that idea. It can be a segway into a larger firm later if you'd like, with some consulting experience now on your resume.

I don't work for a large firm though, so someone may correct me on this.

Edit: I know several people that came out of business school with no experience, and got jobs at major firms. They weren't 34, but close.

Originally posted by 09App on 22 Mar 2007, 06:55.
Last edited by 09App on 22 Mar 2007, 07:15, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
i meant getting into a MC firm after completing MBA at 34 without any prior MC experience...
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
usctrojan098 wrote:
Consultants are the doctors of business (and sometimes, the psychiatrists).

A doctor can prescribe all she wants, but a patient will never get better unless he actually takes the medicine.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [2]
Send PM
[#permalink]