Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 12:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Downzoning, zoning that typically results in the reduction

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT Date: 07-30-2012
GPA: 2.66
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 120 [1] , given: 116

Downzoning, zoning that typically results in the reduction [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2012, 04:37
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

53% (01:42) correct 47% (00:47) wrong based on 115 sessions
Downzoning, zoning that typically results in the reduction of housing density, allows for more open space in areas where little water or services exist.
(A) little water or services exist
(B) little water or services exists
(C) few services and little water exists
(D) there is little water or services available
(E) there are few services and little available water

Quote:
I was confused between C and the right ans. Altough i choosed the right one, still i'm not very confident why C is wrong.
some help!
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Please press Kudos if you found this post helpful

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1698 [1] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Downzoning, zoning that [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2012, 05:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
It is a general principle that whenever –or is found in a collection of choices, each of the choices will be taken as singular and the verb also will be singular , while, if – and – is found, both the subject and the verb will be plural

(A) little water or services exist …… services matched the verb exist but little water does not.

(B) little water or services exists … reverse of A; little water tallies with exists, while services does not

(C) few services and little water exists ------ few services and little water is plural; does not tally with exists.

(D) there is little water or services available --- There is little water is okay; but there is services available is not okay.

(E) there are few services and little available water ---- The plural subject --- few services and little available- tallies with the plural verb are ; correct choice

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V29
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 48

Re: Downzoning, zoning that [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2012, 02:48
daagh wrote:
It is a general principle that whenever –or is found in a collection of choices, each of the choices will be taken as singular and the verb also will be singular , while, if – and – is found, both the subject and the verb will be plural

(A) little water or services exist …… services matched the verb exist but little water does not.

(B) little water or services exists … reverse of A; little water tallies with exists, while services does not

(C) few services and little water exists ------ few services and little water is plural; does not tally with exists.

(D) there is little water or services available --- There is little water is okay; but there is services available is not okay.

(E) there are few services and little available water ---- The plural subject --- few services and little available- tallies with the plural verb are ; correct choice

Do we always consider water as a singular quantity? or can there be a scenario where water acts as plural.
Kindly explain.

Live Life the Way YOU Love It !! :)

GmatPrep1 [10/09/2012] : 650 (Q42;V38) - need to make lesser silly mistakes.
MGMAT 1 [11/09/2012] : 640 (Q44;V34) - need to improve quant pacing and overcome verbal fatigue.

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1698 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Downzoning, zoning that [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2012, 03:36
Expert's post
I do not think that in the ordinary sense , water can be plural. But somebody might know some weird case of water being plural and it will be interesting to know such cases. Water is generally taken to be generic and therefore singular. Buit one might argue that - every ocean has its own water - is not as good as - all oceans have their own waters -.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 38

Re: Downzoning, zoning that [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2012, 12:01
Answer: E
C is wrong because of the usage of verb "exists" since exists is used as a singular verb for a plural Subject.

Water is uncountable so it could not be defined as singular or plural.
The quantity of water can be considered countable and can be plural.

The subject in the question is Plural because of the use of and.

I will give a Fight till the End

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."
- Bernard Edmonds

A person who is afraid of Failure can never succeed -- Amneet Padda

Don't Forget to give the KUDOS

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V42
GPA: 3.33
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: Downzoning, zoning that [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 11:29
I thought using a 'OR' will make the subjects singular and hence we need to use singular verb, 'exists'.
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 05-26-2012
GPA: 3.2
WE: Supply Chain Management (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Downzoning, zoning that [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 18:17
Got caught on the exists...agree with E
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 80

Re: Downzoning, zoning that typically results in the reduction [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2013, 21:31
what is wrong with A here ?

as per my understanding when the subject is joined by "or/nor", the verb need to agree with the subject closest to the verb, which is services in A. so it should be exist, which is what is given.

I am confused here, can someone help me out please ?
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 136

Kudos [?]: 1374 [1] , given: 122

Re: Downzoning, zoning that typically results in the reduction [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2013, 22:52
This post received
KUDOS
vishalrastogi wrote:
what is wrong with A here ?

as per my understanding when the subject is joined by "or/nor", the verb need to agree with the subject closest to the verb, which is services in A. so it should be exist, which is what is given.

I am confused here, can someone help me out please ?

Hi vishalrastogi.

I'm happy to help.

Downzoning, zoning that typically results in the reduction of housing density, allows for more open space in areas where little water or services exist.

(A) little water or services exist
Wrong. Little (X or Y) = Little X or Little Y. But services is countable --> can't use little

(B) little water or services exists
Wrong. Same as A.

(C) few services and little water exists
Wrong. [X and Y] --> compound noun --> plural --> "exists" is wrong.

(D) there is little water or services available
Wrong. Same as A. Little X or Y = Little X or Little Y. But services is countable --> can't use little

(E) there are few services and little available water
Correct. Only E uses correct grammar. (few services + little water)

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Re: Downzoning, zoning that typically results in the reduction   [#permalink] 12 Sep 2013, 22:52