Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 22:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Dr. A: The new influenza vaccine is useless at best and

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Dr. A: The new influenza vaccine is useless at best and [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2008, 19:05
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Dr. A: The new influenza vaccine is useless at best and possibly dangerous. I would never use it on a patient.
Dr. B: But three studies published in the Journal of Medical Associates have rated that vaccine as unusually effective.
Dr. A: The studies must have been faulty because the vaccine is worthless.

In which of the following is the reasoning most similar to that of Dr. A?

(A) Three of my patients have been harmed by that vaccine during the past three weeks, so the vaccine is unsafe.

(B) Jerrold Jersey recommends this milk, and I don’t trust Jerrold Jersey, so I won’t buy this milk.

(C) Wingzz tennis balls perform best because they are far more effective than any other tennis balls.

(D) I’m buying Vim Vitamins. Doctors recommend them more often than they recommend any other vitamins, so Vim Vitamins must be good.

(E) Since University of Muldoon graduates score about 20 percent higher than average on the GMAT, Sheila Lee, a University of Muldoon graduate, will score about 20 percent higher than average when she takes the GMAT.

------------------------------------------
Please explain.

-Underline your question. It takes only a few seconds!
-Search before you post.

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-dr. A and B [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2008, 20:47
vscid wrote:
Dr. A: The new influenza vaccine is useless at best and possibly dangerous. I would never use it on a patient.
Dr. B: But three studies published in the Journal of Medical Associates have rated that vaccine as unusually effective.
Dr. A: The studies must have been faulty because the vaccine is worthless.

In which of the following is the reasoning most similar to that of Dr. A?

(A) Three of my patients have been harmed by that vaccine during the past three weeks, so the vaccine is unsafe.

(B) Jerrold Jersey recommends this milk, and I don’t trust Jerrold Jersey, so I won’t buy this milk.

(C) Wingzz tennis balls perform best because they are far more effective than any other tennis balls.

(D) I’m buying Vim Vitamins. Doctors recommend them more often than they recommend any other vitamins, so Vim Vitamins must be good.

(E) Since University of Muldoon graduates score about 20 percent higher than average on the GMAT, Sheila Lee, a University of Muldoon graduate, will score about 20 percent higher than average when she takes the GMAT.

------------------------------------------
Please explain.

I would go for B

Here is my reasoning.... A is arguing for something which is has no evidence for... On the oher hand, B is giving a concrete reason to disabuse him. However A again counter attack without any evidence to actually arrack the argument itself...

Its the same as B, where no evidence why author doesn't trust Jersey...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-dr. A and B [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2008, 23:06
A's argument is basically "eventhough X says this, I don't believe it"

A. Is proved by facts so it's fairly logical
B. Correct "eventhough JJ says it, I don't like it"
C. Logical reasoning and no rejection
D. Recommened and using the balls
E. Common trait and therefore he expects the trait to continue.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-dr. A and B [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2008, 23:48
Dr. A concludes the studies are faulty because the vaccine is worthless. His conclusion is not based on the facts, but it is based on the supposition that the vaccine is worthless, so the study must be faulty.

In order to find the answer, look out for the answer that has this kind non-implicit reasoning.

(A) Three of my patients have been harmed by that vaccine during the past three weeks, so the vaccine is unsafe. (Patients are harmed by vaccine – This answer choice has effective reasoning – eliminate it)

(B) Jerrold Jersey recommends this milk, and I don’t trust Jerrold Jersey, so I won’t buy this milk. (Here, since I don’t trust Jersey, I think milk is faulty – not a direct reasoning – Hold it)

(C) Wingzz tennis balls perform best because they are far more effective than any other tennis balls. (Tennis ball is far effective than others, so it performs best - This answer choice has effective reasoning – eliminate it)

(D) I’m buying Vim Vitamins. Doctors recommend them more often than they recommend any other vitamins, so Vim Vitamins must be good. (Doctors recommends vim vitamins more than any other - This answer choice has effective reasoning – eliminate it)

(E) Since University of Muldoon graduates score about 20 percent higher than average on the GMAT, Sheila Lee, a University of Muldoon graduate, will score about 20 percent higher than average when she takes the GMAT. (Since University students score effectively 20% higher, so it is imperative that Sheila also scores above 20% - This answer choice has effective reasoning – eliminate it)

Answer: B
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-dr. A and B [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2008, 11:07
Vote for C

Dr.A seems to have tried the new vaccine and has inderstood that it's useless. Most likely that he has something better, so it's C.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 1

Re: CR-dr. A and B [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2008, 12:01
I'm going with C. Dr A believes that the new vaccine is worthless for no reason and nothing is going to change his mind. It's not that he is doubting the vaccine because he's doubting the Journal, but he is doubting the Journal conclusions because he is doubting the vaccine. Statement C says that Wingzz perform better because they are more effective (or perform better) - no evidence.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: CR-dr. A and B [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2008, 10:53
OA is C.
for the reasons given by maratikus and quad.

-Underline your question. It takes only a few seconds!
-Search before you post.

Re: CR-dr. A and B   [#permalink] 20 Jan 2008, 10:53