Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 18:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Dr. Crock's claims have been not corroborated by other

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.38
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 12

Dr. Crock's claims have been not corroborated by other [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2011, 09:45
Dr. Crock's claims have been not corroborated by other scientists or published in a prestigious journal but have nonetheless garnered a great deal of attention from the public.

Answer:
Dr. Crock's claims have not been corroborated by other scientists or published in a prestigious journal but have nonetheless garnered a great deal of attention from the public.

as shown in the answer bolded, there are 3 parallel markers. I'm confused at a few things. For the parallel marker "or" it seems to be the two components are "been corroborated by other scientists" and "published in a prestigious journal". They mention a rule in manhattan that a verb form, which i'm guessing "been corroborated" is, can just have the first part "been" striped across its parallel elements so we don't have to repeat it. Also, the "not", "but' markers confuses me. Although it all sounds correct, the "have" is before the "not", so I thought that was not part of the parallel component, but there exists "but have"

thanks
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Manhattan GMAT example parallelism [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2011, 10:01
Would help if you post the entire question...thnx

Answer:
Dr. Crock's claims have not been corroborated by other scientists or published in a prestigious journal but have nonetheless garnered a great deal of attention from the public.

as shown in the answer bolded, there are 3 parallel markers. I'm confused at a few things. For the parallel marker "or" it seems to be the two components are "been corroborated by other scientists" and "published in a prestigious journal". They mention a rule in manhattan that a verb form, which i'm guessing "been corroborated" is, can just have the first part "been" striped across its parallel elements so we don't have to repeat it. Also, the "not", "but' markers confuses me. Although it all sounds correct, the "have" is before the "not", so I thought that was not part of the parallel component, but there exists "but have"

thanks[/quote]
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.38
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 12

Re: Manhattan GMAT example parallelism [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2011, 13:49
Sure, the question is just to fix the sentence. But one thing I didn't mention is it underlines a portion of the question, and says please fix this to fix the overall parallelism.

Dr. Crock's claims have been not corroborated by other scientists or published in a prestigious journal but have nonetheless garnered a great deal of attention from the public.

then the question says basically the underlined portion has a parallelism problem, fix it.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Manhattan GMAT example parallelism [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2011, 05:02
pinchharmonic wrote:
Sure, the question is just to fix the sentence. But one thing I didn't mention is it underlines a portion of the question, and says please fix this to fix the overall parallelism.

then the question says basically the underlined portion has a parallelism problem, fix it.

Ok. This problem is from Page 60 Manhattan GMAT Parallelism Problem set.

Rule: Some verb or forms derived from verbs have more than one word: was opening, can lose, to increase. You can often split apart these expressions, so that the first word or words count across all elements.

In our context, we can break the sentence in 2 parts.

So part 1 is: Dr. Crock's claims have not been corroborated by other scientists or (BEEN) published in a prestigious journal. (we dont need to use been in the 2nd half because of the rule mentioned above)

Part 2 is: Dr. Crock's claims have not been corroborated by other scientists but have nonetheless garnered a great deal of attention from the public.

The trick is to look out for conjunctions and other parallelism markers, so that you can make the sentence grammatically and structurally equivalent.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Dr. Crock's claims have been not corroborated by other [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2013, 04:29
Would it be acceptable to say:

Dr. Crock's claims have been not corroborated by other scientists or published in a prestigious journal but nonetheless garnered a great deal of attention from the public.

So here "Corroborated" is parallel to "Published" via "Or";

and "Corroborated" is parallel to "gained" via "But Nonetheless".

Thank you for your help.
Re: Dr. Crock's claims have been not corroborated by other   [#permalink] 06 Jan 2013, 04:29