Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 21:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Dr. Hegsted argues that just as polio vaccine is given to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Dr. Hegsted argues that just as polio vaccine is given to [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2005, 12:14
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Dr. Hegsted argues that just as polio vaccine is given to every person to protect the few who might actually contract polio, mass dietary change is needed to protect the significant number who are susceptible to the life-threatening effects of press eating habits.

(A) just as polio vaccine is given to every person to protect the few who might actually contract polio
(B) like polio vaccine, which is given to every person to protect the few who might contract polio
(C) similar to polio vaccine which is given to every person in order to protect the few who might actually contract polio
(D) while, to protect the few who might actually contract polio, polio vaccine is given to every person
(E) similar to the giving of polio vaccine to every person in order to protect the few who might contract polio actually

Conceptual question:
Why would one chose A over B or vice versa though both A and B form a DC and follow the rules of proper use of "as" Vs "like" construct? Is parallelism coming into play? If so, is it a nice to have or is it mandatory that the DC, IC should follow parallelism? I think its a nice to have. Feel free to elaborate.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Polio Vaccine [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2005, 18:29
I afree with the points you raised. I also think A and B both seem gramatically correct.

IMO, A is better over B because just like is proper idiom used properly to compare the actions not nouns. So B would be ok, if the sentence is comparing the nouns....
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2005, 06:21
A has two errors and B is best
1- It uses colloquial term "actually" which is strictly unneeded in GMAT world
2- It uses wrong idiom. The right idiom would be "just as... so is/does..."

Best Regards,

Paul

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2005, 07:26
The idiom is "just as...so"

A is wrong. C,D and E are also bad idioms.

B is my choice.

This is tricky because usually "like" is not liked by GMAT gurus.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2005, 07:41
B should be it.

A has another problem.
In A, This sentence is trying to join 2 independent clauses with a comma. It is a clear case of comma splice. We need a coordinate conjuction to complete the sentence. May be a BUT or AND.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2005, 07:44
riteshgupta1 wrote:
B should be it.

A has another problem.
In A, This sentence is trying to join 2 independent clauses with a comma. It is a clear case of comma splice. We need a coordinate conjuction to complete the sentence. May be a BUT or AND.

No, A does not have a comma-splice problem. The idiom "just as..., so does..." does require a comma to separate the former from the latter part of the idiom.

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2005, 09:07
I agree wih you paul.

But look at the construction of A.

Dr. Hegsted argues that just as polio vaccine is given to every person to protect the few who might actually contract polio
This is an independent clause because it has a subject, verb, and a predicate.

mass dietary change is needed to protect the significant number who are susceptible to the life-threatening effects of press eating habits.
This is also an independent clause because it also has a subject, verb, and a predicate.

How can you join these 2 independent sentences with Comma?

But I dont see any problem if you write the sentence like this.

Dr. Hegsted argues that just as polio vaccine is given to every person to protect the few who might actually contract polio ; mass dietary change is needed to protect the significant number who are susceptible to the life-threatening effects of press eating habits.

Any suggestions.... Am I missing something?
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2005, 18:43
riteshgupta1 wrote:
I agree wih you paul.

Dr. Hegsted argues that just as polio vaccine is given to every person to protect the few who might actually contract polio

This is not an independant clause. It cannot stand by itself. Ask yourself does the statement make sense by itself?

By including "just as" the sentence cannot "stand" by itself and therefore is not an IC.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2005, 18:47
Paul, if "actually" were removed from the AC "A" do u think it would still the AC would still be incorrect?

Let me ask my question another way: If we see "Just as" in an AC it has to have "so too" or "so" does blah blah or else we can eliminate the AC based on "bad usage" of the idiom, correct?
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2005, 03:58
I'm guessing the OA is B. Although 885C says the OA is "A" i agree with Paul.
  [#permalink] 19 Jul 2005, 03:58