Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 15:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Dr. Hegsted argues that just as polio vaccine is given to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 4

Dr. Hegsted argues that just as polio vaccine is given to [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2009, 06:21
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

16% (01:38) correct 83% (00:53) wrong based on 6 sessions
Dr. Hegsted argues that just as polio vaccine is given to every person to protect the few who might actually contract polio, mass dietary change is needed to protect the significant number who are susceptible to the life-threatening effects of press eating habits.

(A) just as polio vaccine is given to every person to protect the few who might actually contract polio
(B) like polio vaccine, which is given to every person to protect the few who might contract polio
(C) similar to polio vaccine which is given to every person to protect the few who might actually contract polio
(D) while, to protect the few who might actually contract polio, polio vaccine is given to every person
(E) similar to the giving of polio vaccine to every person in order to protect the few who might contract polio actually
Director
Director
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 92

GMAT Tests User
Re: Dr Hegsted [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2009, 22:04
A

B - I cant find a striking error, I eliminated is because of "which"
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Dr Hegsted [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2009, 23:18
IMO B...
We are comparing polio vaccine to mass dietary....
Can some one explain use of just as....
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 334 [1] , given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: Dr Hegsted [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2009, 23:39
This post received
KUDOS
I'll vote for B

(A) just as polio vaccine is given to every person to protect the few who might actually contract polio -The correct idiom should be "Just as ... so ..."
(B) like polio vaccine, which is given to every person to protect the few who might contract polio -correct
(C) similar to polio vaccine which is given to every person to protect the few who might actually contract polio -sounds like "mass dietary change" is similar to polio vaccine
(D) while, to protect the few who might actually contract polio, polio vaccine is given to every person -awkward construction
(E) similar to the giving of polio vaccine to every person in order to protect the few who might contract polio actually -incorrect comparison of "mass dietary change" with "giving of polio vaccine"

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: Dr Hegsted [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2009, 23:45
I also went for B initially.

But curious isn't the contrast require here
as polio is to save few while mass dietary change is needed to save significant number.

I think D gives that contrast. opinions please?

bigoyal wrote:
I'll vote for B

(A) just as polio vaccine is given to every person to protect the few who might actually contract polio -The correct idiom should be "Just as ... so ..."
(B) like polio vaccine, which is given to every person to protect the few who might contract polio -correct
(C) similar to polio vaccine which is given to every person to protect the few who might actually contract polio -sounds like "mass dietary change" is similar to polio vaccine
(D) while, to protect the few who might actually contract polio, polio vaccine is given to every person -awkward construction
(E) similar to the giving of polio vaccine to every person in order to protect the few who might contract polio actually -incorrect comparison of "mass dietary change" with "giving of polio vaccine"

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Dr Hegsted [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2009, 01:14
'while' is used for two longer actions happening at same time..
here polio vaccination and mass dietary changes are not happening at same time...it is only suggested that mass dietary changes will bring the same effects as polio vaccination..HTH
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Dr Hegsted [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2009, 02:47
I feel the question and its answer choices are not correct...
just as...so is the correct idiom....so A is incorrect...
Like compares two similar Nouns and not clauses...HENCE B is also out
no other choice keeps the intended meaning and comparison...
Whats the source of this Question??
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Dr Hegsted [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2009, 08:09
B. as explained by others in the above posts.

I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: Dr Hegsted [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 16:59
sanoasis wrote:
Dr. Hegsted argues that just as polio vaccine is given to every person to protect the few who might actually contract polio, mass dietary change is needed to protect the significant number who are susceptible to the life-threatening effects of press eating habits.

(A) just as polio vaccine is given to every person to protect the few who might actually contract polio
(B) like polio vaccine, which is given to every person to protect the few who might contract polio
(C) similar to polio vaccine which is given to every person to protect the few who might actually contract polio
(D) while, to protect the few who might actually contract polio, polio vaccine is given to every person
(E) similar to the giving of polio vaccine to every person in order to protect the few who might contract polio actually

Hi Friends,

I reached to option A by elimination. Anyway that seems most parallel to me.
B) "Comma + Which.....", we use this structure for non-essential modifier but here we can not treat clause "which is given to every person to protect the few who might contract polio" as a extra information so this option is not right.
We can not use which without comma except with preposition phrase such as "of which" so this construction is not right.
I have heard A is similar to B , but never see anything such as "Similar to A......., B" so for me usage does not look like correct. Even no idiom for Similar.
D)while, to protect the few who might actually contract polio, polio vaccine is given to every person
While should be used for actions running parallel but here we are not talking about anything which should happen parallel.
Wordy; does not seems parallel to later part of sentence " mass dietary change is needed to protect...", which is passive voice with infinitive ( to +verb)

I hope my explanation will help you.

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything.
Thanks Rphardu

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Dr Hegsted [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 21:17
+1 A

"just as.....,..." is a correct idiom.
B changes the meaning. B says that polio vaccine is needed to protect the significant number who are susceptible to the life-threatening effects of press eating habits.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Dr Hegsted [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2011, 00:07
IMO B.

the correct idiom is " just as x, so y" ----> this makes option A wrong.
Re: Dr Hegsted   [#permalink] 24 Jul 2011, 00:07