Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [31]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [5]
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1022 [2]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [1]
Given Kudos: 320
Send PM
Re: Dr. Mary Leakey found teeth and jawbones in Tanzania dating to 3.75 [#permalink]
Kudos
Dr. Mary Leakey found teeth and jawbones in Tanzania dating to 3.75 million years ago, and they are the oldest reliably dated human fossils.

A) Dr. Mary Leakey found teeth and jawbones in Tanzania dating to 3.75 million years ago, and they are the oldest reliably dated human fossils
"dating" modifies Tanzania? and they refers to jawbones or teeth and jawbones, no clear reference

B) The oldest reliably dated human fossils were found by Dr. Mary Leakey in Tanzania, dating to 3.75 million years ago
what is dating modifying? Tanzania and there is no mention of teeth and jawbones

C) The teeth and jawbones found in Tanzania by Dr. Mary Leakey and dating to 3.75 million years ago are the oldest reliably dated human fossils
the teeth and jawbones found and dating to ,,,are -> looks good

D) In Tanzania, the teeth and jawbones found by Dr. Mary Leakey date to 3.75 million years ago and are the oldest reliably dated human fossils
this option changes the meaning, the teeth and jawbones are oldest reliably dated human fossils in tanzania

E) In Tanzania and dating to 3.75 million years ago are the oldest reliably dated human fossils, found by Dr. Mary Leakey
parallelism is not correct in this , In tanzania and dating to - are not parallel.

C is the answer!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 492 [1]
Given Kudos: 292
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
Re: Dr. Mary Leakey found teeth and jawbones in Tanzania dating to 3.75 [#permalink]
Kudos
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 170: Sentence Correction (SC2)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Dr. Mary Leakey found teeth and jawbones in Tanzania dating to 3.75 million years ago, and they are the oldest reliably dated human fossils.

A) Dr. Mary Leakey found teeth and jawbones in Tanzania dating to 3.75 million years ago, and they are the oldest reliably dated human fossils

B) The oldest reliably dated human fossils were found by Dr. Mary Leakey in Tanzania, dating to 3.75 million years ago

C) The teeth and jawbones found in Tanzania by Dr. Mary Leakey and dating to 3.75 million years ago are the oldest reliably dated human fossils

D) In Tanzania, the teeth and jawbones found by Dr. Mary Leakey date to 3.75 million years ago and are the oldest reliably dated human fossils

E) In Tanzania and dating to 3.75 million years ago are the oldest reliably dated human fossils, found by Dr. Mary Leakey

A) Dr. Mary Leakey found teeth and jawbones in Tanzania dating to 3.75 million years ago, and they are the oldest reliably dated human fossils - Dating modifies Tanzania rather than teeth and jawbones

B) The oldest reliably dated human fossils were found by Dr. Mary Leakey in Tanzania, dating to 3.75 million years ago - , Verb-ing here modifies the entire preceding clause - meaning error

C) The teeth and jawbones found in Tanzania by Dr. Mary Leakey and dating to 3.75 million years ago are the oldest reliably dated human fossils - Wrong meaning - Teeth and jawbones (variety x - Modifier Found in...) and Teeth and jawbones (variety Y - dating to) are

D) In Tanzania, the teeth and jawbones found by Dr. Mary Leakey date to 3.75 million years ago and are the oldest reliably dated human fossils - Correct <Is date to/dating to - correct construction? seems weird>

E) In Tanzania and dating to 3.75 million years ago are the oldest reliably dated human fossils, found by Dr. Mary Leakey - In tanzania and dating to 3.75 years must be placed near to human fossils
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [1]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos

A) Dr. Mary Leakey found teeth and jawbones in Tanzania dating to 3.75 million years ago, and they are the oldest reliably dated human fossils ( dating modifies the tanzania, which is wrong. )

B) The oldest reliably dated human fossils were found by Dr. Mary Leakey in Tanzania, dating to 3.75 million years ago ( dating modifies the were found by Dr. Leakey, infact dating should modify the fossils, which is not happening here. so wrong)

C) The teeth and jawbones found in Tanzania by Dr. Mary Leakey and dating to 3.75 million years ago are the oldest reliably dated human fossils( need separators if IC is teeth and jawbones are the oldest reliably dated human fossils. so wrong)

D) In Tanzania, the teeth and jawbones found by Dr. Mary Leakey date to 3.75 million years ago and are the oldest reliably dated human fossils ( except for date to( which i dont know whether right or wrong) this sentence seems fine. and by POE only this remains. so correct choice)

E) In Tanzania and dating to 3.75 million years ago are the oldest reliably dated human fossils, found by Dr. Mary Leakey ( in tanzania and dating seems parallelism error or modifier error. so wrong)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [1]
Given Kudos: 254
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Kudos

- Incorrect. There is a modifier ambiguity, what does "they" refer to? Years? Teeth and jawbones?

- Incorrect. There is a modifier issue again, i.e. is the part after comma modifying Tanzania or the entire preceding clause?

- Correct. The parallelism works nicely here:
(1) the teeth and jawbones found ... are the oldest
(2) the teeth and jawbones dating to ... are the oldest

So, found and dating are modifiers that work correctly.

- Incorrect. The sentence incorrectly moved "in Tanzania", and this act transformed the meaning of the sentence.

- Incorrect. The sentence has a serious SV mess.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 252 [1]
Given Kudos: 371
Send PM
Kudos
IMO the correct answer is C

A) Dr. Mary Leakey found teeth and jawbones in Tanzania dating to 3.75 million years ago, and they are the oldest reliably dated human fossils - VerbING modifier when introduced without comma in a sentence tends to modifiy immediate preceding non, here "dating" incorrectly modifies "Tanzania" - INCORRECT

B) The oldest reliably dated human fossils were found by Dr. Mary Leakey in Tanzania, dating to 3.75 million years ago - Though a Passive construction is not a favorable option GMAT, but the main concern lies in VerbING modification error - "..., dating to 3.75 million ..." Incorrectly modifying the result of the previous preceding cluase - INCORRECT

VerbED & VerbING modifier can simultaneously used to modify the same subject when the sense of the sentence is maintained & Parallelism holds true for such cases. This sentence is a good example of this. - CORRECT

D) In Tanzania, the teeth and jawbones found by Dr. Mary Leakey date to 3.75 million years ago and are the oldest reliably dated human fossils - This Option is a bit tricky in terms of reading :dazed

we can spot a parallelis marker "and" - now to figure out the entities before & after "and" is what i struggled :roll:

In Tanzania, the teeth and jawbones...

Part 1 - found by Dr. Mary Leakey date to 3.75 million years ago
"AND"
In Tanzania, the teeth and jawbones...
Part 2 - are the oldest reliably dated human fossils

The second part seems a bit strange in terms of meaning - the Suparlative usage of "oldest" is not what is found only in "Tanzania" - :-o Not sure but seems strange to me

generis can help me out here, as always :blushing

E) In Tanzania and dating to 3.75 million years ago are the oldest reliably dated human fossils, found by Dr. Mary Leakey - not a parallel structure - INCORRECT
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [1]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Kudos
I eliminate options B and E because they omit vital pieces of information teeth and jawbones are the oldest reliably dated human fossils. In addition, it is the teeth and jawbones that are dating to 3.75 million years ago, and this additional information adds to the meaning of the sentence.

Date to is unidiomatic. Hence we can eliminate option D. But if date to is unidiomatic, can dating to be idiomatic?

I eliminate A because of pronoun ambiguity. They can refer to teeth, jawbones and teeth and jawbones.

I will go with option C as the answer. Is there a parallelism issue in C? I don't think so, I may not be entirely right, but I believe that The teeth and jawbones found in Tanzania and the teeth and jawbones dating to 3.75 million years ago are parallel. Verb-ed modifier (past participle) found can be parallel to verb-ING modifier (gerund) dating.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [1]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:

A) Dr. Mary Leakey found teeth and jawbones in Tanzania dating to 3.75 million years ago, and they are the oldest reliably dated human fossils - Modifer dating to 3.75 seems to modify "T" which is not right. They can become ambiguous becasue it can refer to just the jawbones

B) The oldest reliably dated human fossils were found by Dr. Mary Leakey in Tanzania, dating to 3.75 million years ago - The same modifier issue from A.
Also, did we just remove teeth and jawbones?

C) The teeth and jawbones found in Tanzania by Dr. Mary Leakey and dating to 3.75 million years ago are the oldest reliably dated human fossils Parallelism error.. Found and dating.

D) In Tanzania, the teeth and jawbones found by Dr. Mary Leakey date to 3.75 million years ago and are the oldest reliably dated human fossils Parallelism looks okay. Meaning looks okay too.

E) In Tanzania and dating to 3.75 million years ago are the oldest reliably dated human fossils, found by Dr. Mary Leakey - What? And also we again got rid of teeth and jawbones for some reason.

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: Sloan '23 (A)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.86
Send PM
Kudos
generis wrote:
[textarea]

Project SC Butler: Day 170: Sentence Correction (SC2)

I'd vote C.

I don't think D is correct because, to me, it seems to imply that the assertion about these particular teeth and jawbones being the oldest is for the population of teeth and jawbones found in Tanzania, while the sentence clearly intends to imply that these teeth and jawbones are the oldest globally.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Quote:
I'd vote C.

I don't think D is correct because, to me, it seems to imply that the assertion about these particular teeth and jawbones being the oldest is for the population of teeth and jawbones found in Tanzania, while the sentence clearly intends to imply that these teeth and jawbones are the oldest globally.

exliontamer
Hello,
I kind of agree with you but what do you feel about Parallelism in option C?

Also, You don't just have to negate what everyone think is right. You should negate 4 wrong options and find no errors in one right option.

Thank you!
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
I have posted the official explanation HERE
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts