Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 02:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Dr. Sheila Porter plans to run an experiment using nursing

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 23

Re: Dr Sheila [#permalink] New post 06 May 2011, 08:48
It's D. I originally thought it was B. However after further review, B does state that she had anything to do with the patient getting better.

D. States the grade was solely based on how well she worked with patients. Better choice.

No choice really had much to do with the hypothesis!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Dr Sheila [#permalink] New post 06 May 2011, 21:31
i go for D
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Dr Sheila [#permalink] New post 07 May 2011, 11:33
D
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Dr Sheila [#permalink] New post 09 May 2011, 17:12
Yeah D is the best one according to me
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

Re: Dr Sheila [#permalink] New post 11 May 2011, 06:38
I choose D. This is because the hypotheses was to be tested when they are working with patients. Only D fits the bill.

If you like my post, consider giving me KUDOS!

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: Dr Sheila [#permalink] New post 11 May 2011, 22:09
D (2:55 min) , i think the timing sucked on this one , but the word 'illustrates' kind of confuses on how to categorize the question.

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Dr Sheila [#permalink] New post 18 May 2011, 04:22
i agree with D
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Dr. Sheila Porter plans to run an experiment using nursing [#permalink] New post 11 May 2012, 06:13
tenaman10 wrote:
Dr. Sheila Porter plans to run an experiment using nursing students. Each student will be shown either a pleasant nature film or a disturbing horror film. Each student will be observed by someone who—looking only at the student’s facial expressions—must ascertain which film is being shown. Students shown the horror movie are told to hide their feelings in order to convince the observer that they are watching a pleasant film. Dr. Porter hypothesizes that all the students in the experiment who are convincing will be among the best at working with patients. The hypothesis will be tested by comparing the convincing students and unconvincing students in terms of their performance with patents.

Which one of the following incidents best illustrates Dr. Porter’s hypothesis?

(A) Niles, the most convincing student in the experiment, later went on to become a physician.
(B) After graduating, Yoshiro, a nursing student who was convincing in the experiment, helped care for Bram, a patient at a hospital. Bram recovered from his operation.
(C) After graduating, Kim, a nursing student in the experiment who watched the nature film, was removed from the staff of a hospital for unacceptable performance in patient care.
(D) Daria, a nursing student who was convincing in the experiment, later received “A’s” in those classes in which working with patients in a teaching hospital was the sole basis of her grades.
(E) Marite, a nursing student who was not convincing in the experiment, later quit nursing school.

Why is B wrong?

The Answer is D. Please find the explanation.

The concern of the topic is:

--> Dr. Porter hypothesizes that all the students in the experiment who are convincing will be among the best at working with patients.

Premise:

Students shown the horror movie are told to hide their feelings in order to convince the observer that they are watching a pleasant film

The argument clearly shows that it is difficult for people watching a horror movie. Who are already watching a natural movie need not try. So the focus is more on people watching Horror.

(A) Niles, the most convincing student in the experiment, later went on to become a physician. - Doesn't mean that any other student cannot become physician. Moreover as a physician his performance is not stated as the best as hypothesis mentioned.

(B) After graduating, Yoshiro, a nursing student who was convincing in the experiment, helped care for Bram, a patient at a hospital. Bram recovered from his operation. - No specifics as best rated. Also we cannot generalize the performance of Yoshiro is best based on single patient/case

(C) After graduating, Kim, a nursing student in the experiment who watched the nature film, was removed from the staff of a hospital for unacceptable performance in patient care. - Somehow felt irrelevant

(D) Daria, a nursing student who was convincing in the experiment, later received “A’s” in those classes in which working with patients in a teaching hospital was the sole basis of her grades. - This is cohirent to the conclusion stated.

(E) Marite, a nursing student who was not convincing in the experiment, later quit nursing school.
- No reason is specified, even if we agree that she didn't perform well. Any personal reason may have lead to this, etc.; She is not dismissed or removed from work.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GMAT 2: 770 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.49
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Re: Dr. Sheila Porter plans to run an experiment using nursing [#permalink] New post 13 May 2013, 10:09
Choice D best demonstrates excellence in working with patients (by receiving an 'A' in the course). One could infer from Choice B that Yoshiro is good at working with patients since Bram, a patient he worked with, recovered from his operation, but you would be assuming that Yoshiro was the reason that Bram recovered, which is unproven. Choice D also doesn't specifically address "working with patients", again you would have to assume that was Yoshiro's role.

'D' is just a better, unambiguous answer which doesn't require you to assume anything.

:: My test experience ::
http://gmatclub.com/forum/540-to-720-a-debrief-154257.html

\sqrt{scott}

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

Re: Dr. Sheila Porter plans to run an experiment using nursing [#permalink] New post 18 May 2013, 17:40
D it is.Not a stand out option but the best amongst all.
Re: Dr. Sheila Porter plans to run an experiment using nursing   [#permalink] 18 May 2013, 17:40