Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 11:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Drag Queen / Advertising Creative Looking at Harvard

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Drag Queen / Advertising Creative Looking at Harvard [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2013, 07:24
Hi there,

I'd love it if you could evaluate my profile. I took my GMAT over 4 years ago, and the upcoming application cycle is the last time this score will be valid. I just don't know if I have the profile Harvard is looking for.

1) I work in advertising as a creative. I used to be a strategist and transitioned to writing. Basically, my career is all about building brands.

2) 690. I don't remember what I scored on quant and verbal specifically, but I did get a 6 on the writing section. I only took the test once.

3) Undergrad: UC Berkeley, 3.2 GPA, B.A. Mass Communications, class of '09 but graduated a semester early. Grad school: VCU Brandcenter, 3.6 GPA, M.S. Mass Communications / Advertising, class of '11.

4) College: VP of a major Indian cultural organization with an annual operating budget of over $100,000. Ran national dance competitions, performance showcases, and parties. Interned at a public relations firm and at Dreamworks Animation. Designed and showed a student fashion collection. Post-college: I currently moonlight as a drag queen named Sheila Dubaii. I've performed in Virginia, LA, New York City, and Boston. My drag 'hobby' was featured at the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity this past year. I was also invited to speak at a professional advertising conference about drag and creativity. I plan to continue speaking at these types of events.

5) None.

6) I want to go to Harvard. I was wait-listed when applying to colleges years ago. Now might be my time!

7) I plan on applying during Round 2 in this year's application (to attend Fall 2014). This is the last time my GMAT score will be valid.

8) I want to move from agency-side to client-side brand management. My goal is to help an organization build their brand by getting the best advertising / marketing communication from their agency partners. I'll be able to blend creativity and good business sense in a way that most advertising managers cannot. Eventually, I'd like to work my way up to CMO.

Thank you for reading.

Cheers,
-A
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: Drag Queen / Advertising Creative Looking at Harvard [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2013, 07:28
Sorry, forgot to mention: I have about 2.5 years full-time work experience + 1 year of freelance strategy work.

Thanks!
-Amit
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 318 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Drag Queen / Advertising Creative Looking at Harvard [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2013, 13:29
Expert's post
mixpanda wrote:
Hi there,

I'd love it if you could evaluate my profile. I took my GMAT over 4 years ago, and the upcoming application cycle is the last time this score will be valid. I just don't know if I have the profile Harvard is looking for.

1) I work in advertising as a creative. I used to be a strategist and transitioned to writing. Basically, my career is all about building brands.

2) 690. I don't remember what I scored on quant and verbal specifically, but I did get a 6 on the writing section. I only took the test once.

3) Undergrad: UC Berkeley, 3.2 GPA, B.A. Mass Communications, class of '09 but graduated a semester early. Grad school: VCU Brandcenter, 3.6 GPA, M.S. Mass Communications / Advertising, class of '11.

4) College: VP of a major Indian cultural organization with an annual operating budget of over $100,000. Ran national dance competitions, performance showcases, and parties. Interned at a public relations firm and at Dreamworks Animation. Designed and showed a student fashion collection. Post-college: I currently moonlight as a drag queen named Sheila Dubaii. I've performed in Virginia, LA, New York City, and Boston. My drag 'hobby' was featured at the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity this past year. I was also invited to speak at a professional advertising conference about drag and creativity. I plan to continue speaking at these types of events.

5) None.

6) I want to go to Harvard. I was wait-listed when applying to colleges years ago. Now might be my time!

7) I plan on applying during Round 2 in this year's application (to attend Fall 2014). This is the last time my GMAT score will be valid.

8) I want to move from agency-side to client-side brand management. My goal is to help an organization build their brand by getting the best advertising / marketing communication from their agency partners. I'll be able to blend creativity and good business sense in a way that most advertising managers cannot. Eventually, I'd like to work my way up to CMO.

Thank you for reading.

Cheers,
-A

A,

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. I got behind.

You are hard to evaluate. Your undergrad grades are a bit low as is your GMAT for Harvard. Your work experience and grad grades are good. Your extra-curricular career is unusual and that can be a plus and a minus, but in your case I suspect it's much more of the former.

I advise you to apply to Harvard, but it's a long shot. Also apply to other programs that support your goals and that may be easier to get into. Consider Duke, Haas (also a stretch), UCLA, Ross, USC, Rotman, and Cornell Johnson.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

Re: Drag Queen / Advertising Creative Looking at Harvard [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2013, 17:27
Hi Linda,

Thank you so much for reviewing my profile. I appreciate it.

I think I can definitely increase my GMAT score. Last time, I didn't prepare vigorously at all (only 2 weeks of light prep). If I put my heart and soul into it, I think I could increase my score to 700+. Mind you, it certainly won't be a 780 :)

If you think I have a chance at getting in now (even if it's a long-shot), I'd rather retake the test, try to increase my score, and apply round 1 next year.

Do you think that's a decent plan? I can also add other schools to my list during that time (I've been flirting with the idea of Chicago Booth and USC).

Thanks again!
-A
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 318 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Drag Queen / Advertising Creative Looking at Harvard [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2013, 22:28
Expert's post
mixpanda wrote:
Hi Linda,

Thank you so much for reviewing my profile. I appreciate it.

I think I can definitely increase my GMAT score. Last time, I didn't prepare vigorously at all (only 2 weeks of light prep). If I put my heart and soul into it, I think I could increase my score to 700+. Mind you, it certainly won't be a 780 :)

If you think I have a chance at getting in now (even if it's a long-shot), I'd rather retake the test, try to increase my score, and apply round 1 next year.

Do you think that's a decent plan? I can also add other schools to my list during that time (I've been flirting with the idea of Chicago Booth and USC).

Thanks again!
-A

That sounds like a real solid plan. Good luck with the GMAT! As I indicated earlier, additional schools is also a good idea..

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog