Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 08:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Dressed as a man and using the name Robert Shurtleff,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Dressed as a man and using the name Robert Shurtleff, [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 03:09
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

74% (01:47) correct 26% (00:58) wrong based on 136 sessions
Dressed as a man and using the name Robert
Shurtleff, Deborah Sampson, the first woman to draw
a soldier’s pension, joined the Continental Army in
1782 at the age of 22, was injured three times, and
was discharged in 1783 because she had become
too
ill to serve.
(A) 22, was injured three times, and was discharged
in 1783 because she had become
(B) 22, was injured three times, while being
discharged in 1783 because she had become
(C) 22 and was injured three times, and discharged
in 1783, being
(D) 22, injured three times, and was discharged in
1783 because she was
(E) 22, having been injured three times and
discharged in 1783, being

I am confused between A and E.
I am really not sure what does "having been injured" refers to ?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 156 [1] , given: 136

Re: Having been [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 07:34
This post received
KUDOS
z3nith wrote:
I am confused between A and E.
I am really not sure what does "having been injured" refers to ?

Hi z3nith,

Frankly speaking, I dont know the name of the tense that starts with Having Been, however, I know where to use such tenses.

Here, id the example of such sentence.

Having been to India, I adopted Spirituality.
Here, Having been to India suggests that I went to India first, and then adopted Spirituality. i.e action represented by Having been tense is done prior to main action(adoption of spirituality)

Now, lets take your sentence-

Dressed as a man and using the name Robert
Shurtleff, Deborah Sampson, the first woman to draw
a soldier’s pension, joined the Continental Army in
1782 at the age of 22, was injured three times, and
was discharged in 1783 because she had become
too
ill to serve.

(E) 22, having been injured three times and
discharged in 1783, being

Having been injured 3 times - will modify the subject of sentence i.e Deborah Sampson. Now, the sentence says that she was injured first and then joined the Army. NONSENSE Meaning. Hence, incorrect.

On the other hand, Take Away from Choice A, (if correct, I havent analyzed the other choices) is that Active Voice can be parallel to Passive Voice as long as tenses describes the perfect meaning.

For more info,
check this link-
http://www.beatthegmat.com/can-active-v ... 57043.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you find my post useful, please press KUDOS

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 39

Re: Having been [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2013, 19:37
"had done" in A show an action happen before the "joined", "was injured" . This situation is not logic

A can not be right?

in E, "having done" show an action happening before the action of main verb. This situation is also not logic

D is best.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 136

Re: Having been [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2013, 19:57
thangvietnam wrote:
"had done" in A show an action happen before the "joined", "was injured" . This situation is not logic

A can not be right?

in E, "having done" show an action happening before the action of main verb. This situation is also not logic

D is best.

The Problem with D is that you require direct object with the Verb - Injured, when using as Active voice, and there is no one present in the original sentence(option D)

Here is the example with the verb - "injured"

1)While playing, John injured himself. - here, action is done on John himself i.e it is the direct verb of the action Injured.
2) Going at the speed of 100 miles/hour and hence losing control of his car, John injured several people walking in the Boulevard. - Again, action injured is done on several people.

Now, Come to the Original Sentence.

Its saying. Robert Injured 3 times. -> Does not make any sense, because it was Robert who herself got injured 3 times, so we require Passive tense. i.e Robert was injured 3 times. Hence D is incorrect.

On the Other side - Option A is correct because-

She had become too ill to serve, and later she got discharged from the services. Obviously, the sequencing of this sentence is correct, as the action of becoming ill must have been earlier than her relieving date.

Remember, you don't go with hard and fast rules, its all logic that plays in SC

Edit: Making language simpler

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Having been [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2013, 20:52
I agree that "D" is incorrect because "injured" should be "was injuredd"

but in A "had done" happens before "joined". this is not logic

why A can be correct? pls explain.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 156 [1] , given: 136

Re: Having been [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2013, 22:43
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
thangvietnam wrote:
I agree that "D" is incorrect because "injured" should be "was injuredd"

but in A "had done" happens before "joined". this is not logic

why A can be correct? pls explain.

No, thats not the case over here. It is of supreme importance to understand the meaning before diving into Grammar. Remember, Grammar is nothing but a set of rules to communicate the meaning in a better way

So, what does the sentence talks about i.e Meaning : The sentence talks about a Deborah Sampson and defines a list of 3 items about her. What are they-
1- joined the Continental Army in 1782 at the age of 22,
2- was injured three times, and
3 - was discharged in 1783 because she had become too
ill to serve.

Now, had becomhe is used for doing the sequencing with the action "DISCHARGED", not with the ACTION "joined". If you are still in doubt, check the clause(clause C1) - "because she had become too ill to serve." --> This clause is Subordinate to the Clause (clause C2)- "Deborah was discharged"
i.e Clause C1 is working as an adverbial modifier of the Clause C2

i.e it gives the explanation to why Debrah was discharged, - answer is - because she had become too ill. - this shows that she was ill from a distant past, and then some time in the past(ofcourse after the first event), she got discharged.

Hence, Had become is used to show sequencing with the verb discharged.

Another thought -
Had the sentence been;

was discharged in 1783 because she became too ill to serve. the meaning would have that both the events happened at the same time, and have the same importance.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Having been [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 00:05
great, thank you, imhimanshu

you already understand the trap, I fall into. I think "had done" modify all the "did" in choice A but infact "had done" modifies only "was discharged"

how do you not fall into the trap like me?

BECAUSE YOU UNDERSTAND THE MEANING BEFORE YOU DIVE INTO GRAMMAR. ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 136

Re: Having been [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 01:29
thangvietnam wrote:
great, thank you, imhimanshu

you already understand the trap, I fall into. I think "had done" modify all the "did" in choice A but infact "had done" modifies only "was discharged"

how do you not fall into the trap like me?

BECAUSE YOU UNDERSTAND THE MEANING BEFORE YOU DIVE INTO GRAMMAR. ?

Exactly, you need to understand the meaning first before checking the nitty gritties of the grammar, and don't worry, with practice you will be able to avoid such traps.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 612 [1] , given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Dressed as a man and using the name Robert Shurtleff, [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2013, 11:44
This post received
KUDOS
Dressed as a man and using the name Robert Shurtleff, Deborah Sampson, the first woman to drawa soldier’s pension, joined the Continental Army in1782 at the age of 22, was injured three times, and was discharged in 1783 because she had become too ill to serve.
(A) 22, was injured three times, and was discharged in 1783 because she had become
(B) 22, was injured three times, while being discharged in 1783 because she had become
(C) 22 and was injured three times, and discharged in 1783, being
(D) 22, injured three times, and was discharged in 1783 because she was
(E) 22, having been injured three times and discharged in 1783, being

first of all i will say that verb-ed form is either acts as a verb or as a modifier

verb-ed -->this will act as a verb when subject itself does this (verb-ed thing) action ex: alex played well ....here played is acting as verb
verb-ed--->this will act as a modifier when this (verb-ed thing) is not done by the subject.

now coming to question
here the subject is Deborah Sampson
in the non underlined part it is written Deborah Sampson joined......here "joined" acts as a verb
in the underlined part it is written Deborah Sampson...was injured .....,and was discharged....so its list kind of thing x,y,and z therefore x,y,z should be parallel
..now----- joined ,was injured ,and was discharged are all verb so its parallel....
note if in place of was injured....only injured is written and in place of " was discharged "only discharged is written then in that case discharged and injured act as modifier as in option C,D,E.....HENCE it is not parallel to JOINED .....so it is wrong

now choosing answer
(A) 22, was injured three times, and was discharged in 1783 because she had become(parallel so correct)
(B) 22, was injured three times, while being discharged in 1783 because she had become( meaning is wrong ..in this it means she was injured and discharged simultaneously...which is not the intended meaning)
(C) 22 and was injured three times, and discharged in 1783, being(...here joined ,was injured are verb while discharged is modifier so non parallel therefore incorrect)
(D) 22, injured three times, and was discharged in 1783 because she was(again injured is not parallel.....so incorrect)
(E) 22, having been injured three times and discharged in 1783, being( againg discharged is modifier and not verb ,...and therefore not parallel....also it means having been injured and discharged ..both actions are occuring together which is not correct.

hope it helps..
SKM

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

SVP
SVP
Followers: 277

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Dressed as a man and using the name Robert Shurtleff, [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2014, 06:42
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Dressed as a man and using the name Robert Shurtleff, [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2014, 07:30
You can eliminate B, C and E choices because they use the word "being" in the sentence.
There is no connecting word in option D.
22, [was] injured three times, and was discharged in
1783 because she was
It wrongly indicated that she injured
Intern
Intern
Schools: Tepper '17, ISB '16

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Dressed as a man and using the name Robert Shurtleff, [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2014, 08:50
The correct answer is "A".

The original sentence is grammatically correct in its statement of the fact that she was injured before being relieved from her duties because she wasn't physically fit to serve.
Re: Dressed as a man and using the name Robert Shurtleff,   [#permalink] 15 Sep 2014, 08:50