Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 05:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

ds 243 OG 10 TH

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2005
Posts: 201
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

ds 243 OG 10 TH [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2005, 12:53
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
:) if INTEGer n is greater than 1? IS N EQUAL TO to 2 ?

st1 N has exactely 2positive factors
st 2 The difference of any 2 distinct positive factors of n is odd


plz show your work

Thanks
_________________

when there is a will there is a way

best regards

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Posts: 1061
Location: CA
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

Re: ds 243 OG 10 TH [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2005, 13:01
mand-y wrote:
:) if INTEGer n is greater than 1? IS N EQUAL TO to 2 ?

st1 N has exactely 2positive factors
st 2 The difference of any 2 distinct positive factors of n is odd


plz show your work

Thanks


My answer is C

(1) N has exactly 2 positive factors so N is a prime number. Insufficient.
(2) Take 6 as an example. Factors of 6 are 1, 2 3, 6. 3-2 = 1
Take 2 as an example. Factors of 2 are 1 and 2. 2-1 = 1

(1) + (2) N has to be the prime number 2. Sufficient.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2004
Posts: 1493
Location: Germany
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

Re: ds 243 OG 10 TH [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2005, 13:16
TeHCM wrote:
mand-y wrote:
:) if INTEGer n is greater than 1? IS N EQUAL TO to 2 ?

st1 N has exactely 2positive factors
st 2 The difference of any 2 distinct positive factors of n is odd


plz show your work

Thanks


My answer is C

(1) N has exactly 2 positive factors so N is a prime number. Insufficient.
(2) Take 6 as an example. Factors of 6 are 1, 2 3, 6. 3-2 = 1
Take 2 as an example. Factors of 2 are 1 and 2. 2-1 = 1

(1) + (2) N has to be the prime number 2. Sufficient.


Quote:
any 2 distinct positive factors of n is odd


B)...only 2
_________________

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Posts: 1061
Location: CA
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2005, 13:23
2 and 3 are not distinct positive factors of 6?
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2004
Posts: 1493
Location: Germany
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2005, 13:40
TeHCM wrote:
2 and 3 are not distinct positive factors of 6?


yes they are. 3 and 1 are distinct factors of 6 as well. diff of 3 and 1 is even. thats why i mentioned "any". the diff of any 2 dist factors.
_________________

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.


Last edited by christoph on 24 Nov 2005, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Posts: 1061
Location: CA
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2005, 13:51
4 is a factor of 6? You meant 6..

I see what you mean now. The wording is tricky. Hopefully I won't make similar mistakes on the real deal!

Thanks
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2004
Posts: 1493
Location: Germany
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2005, 13:56
TeHCM wrote:
4 is a factor of 6? You meant 6..

I see what you mean now. The wording is tricky. Hopefully I won't make similar mistakes on the real deal!

Thanks


edited it :idea:
_________________

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 14 Sep 2005
Posts: 996
Location: South Korea
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2005, 16:28
If INTEGer n is greater than 1? IS N EQUAL TO to 2 ?

1) N has exactely 2positive factors
2) The difference of any 2 distinct positive factors of n is odd

***************************************************

1) All the prime numbers have exactly 2 positive factors. Insufficient.

2) N and 1 are always distinct positive factors of N, and N-1 should be odd.

Thus, N should be an even number.

However, if N is bigger than 2 and contains 2 (like 4, 6, 8 ...), N - 2 is even! Therefore, only 2 is possible. Sufficient.

(B) should be it.
_________________

Auge um Auge, Zahn um Zahn :twisted: !

  [#permalink] 24 Nov 2005, 16:28
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
variations on DS OG 43 10th ed ecano 1 30 Aug 2008, 09:53
ds og 10 TH 264 mand-y 3 05 Dec 2005, 10:40
ds og 10 TH 263 mand-y 3 05 Dec 2005, 10:33
ds og 10 # 11 mand-y 6 27 Nov 2005, 13:14
OG 10th Edition RJ417 1 30 Sep 2005, 12:01
Display posts from previous: Sort by

ds 243 OG 10 TH

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.