Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 05:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ds - Challenge 2 - inequalities

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 385
Location: TX
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Ds - Challenge 2 - inequalities [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2006, 18:23
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
If X$Y = (x^2 - y^2)/ (x-y) then what is the value of X$Y ?

1. X + Y = 3

2. X - Y = 2
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 847
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 1

 [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2006, 18:26
A

(x^2 - y^2) = (x+y) (x-y) = x+y)
__________ __________

(x-y) (x-Y)

Statement 1 is SUFF
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2006
Posts: 746
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2006, 22:02
If X$Y = (x^2 - y^2)/ (x-y) then what is the value of X$Y ?

1. X + Y = 3

2. X - Y = 2

X$Y= (x+y) * (x-y)/(x-y)
= x + y
A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 385
Location: TX
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2006, 13:58
Thats was my answer too , not the OA according Challenge. Any more tries ?
GMAT Instructor
avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2006
Posts: 1269
Location: Madrid
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2006, 14:16
asaf wrote:
If X$Y = (x^2 - y^2)/ (x-y) then what is the value of X$Y ?

1. X + Y = 3

2. X - Y = 2

X$Y= (x+y) * (x-y)/(x-y)
= x + y
A.


What did you wrongly assume in your last step?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 385
Location: TX
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2006, 14:56
Thanks for the attempt kevin the OA says its C

here is the OE

C is the correct answer.
We can simplify the stem. x$y = (x + y) * (x - y ) / (x-y)
We can simplify it further and will end up with x$y = x + y (when x =/=y is not equal to). Therefore, insufficient if x = y.

Statement 2 does not help us much. Insufficient.

Combining the two statements, we get that x+y is 3 and x is not equal to y. It is sufficient as it is right now, but if you would like to solve for x and y, you can. x = 2.5 and y = 0.5;

I am not sure about this OA/OE , can some Math experts validate/invalidate this OE with a better example.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 847
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 1

 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2006, 03:30
Again, x=y=0 or in this case even just x=y. :roll:
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2006
Posts: 746
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2006, 05:59
kevincan wrote:
asaf wrote:
If X$Y = (x^2 - y^2)/ (x-y) then what is the value of X$Y ?

1. X + Y = 3

2. X - Y = 2

X$Y= (x+y) * (x-y)/(x-y)
= x + y
A.


What did you wrongly assume in your last step?[/quote]
I honestly dont see anything wrong. Please do correct me.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2006
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2006, 07:05
We cannot assume (x-y) as anything - what if it is 0, then we cannot divide, we need it to be a non zero number which B gives.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2006
Posts: 302
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2006, 09:00
It must be C.

Don't fall into the trap that x-y can be cancelled in both Numerator and Denominator......

We can do this provided x-y !=0.
That's nowhere mentioned in 1.

So it must be C
_________________

Averages Accelerated:Guide to solve Averages Quickly(with 10 practice problems)

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 May 2006
Posts: 1814
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2006, 10:12
Normally, the question will already contain x != y. In addition, the equation exists and is given: so we cannot have x=y. It is not as we are searching the solution and we are transforming an equation.

In my eyes, the answer is more A than C. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2006
Posts: 302
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2006, 10:30
Hey fig, don't u think that u are violating the basic rule of Data Sufficiency.

IT is given that x$y = (x^2-y^2)/(x-y).
That's it ...............
We know that the above function is difined if x!=y. But how can we consider that the given statment implies this.................
_________________

Averages Accelerated:Guide to solve Averages Quickly(with 10 practice problems)

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 May 2006
Posts: 1814
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2006, 11:11
cicerone wrote:
Hey fig, don't u think that u are violating the basic rule of Data Sufficiency.

IT is given that x$y = (x^2-y^2)/(x-y).
That's it ...............
We know that the above function is difined if x!=y. But how can we consider that the given statment implies this.................


Well, I would like to say u no :)

An equation is definied and implies by its existence that x!=y :)... In my eyes, it's widely enough :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2006
Posts: 302
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2006, 11:17
Fig wrote:
cicerone wrote:
Hey fig, don't u think that u are violating the basic rule of Data Sufficiency.

IT is given that x$y = (x^2-y^2)/(x-y).
That's it ...............
We know that the above function is difined if x!=y. But how can we consider that the given statment implies this.................


Well, I would like to say u no :)

An equation is definied and implies by its existence that x!=y :)... In my eyes, it's widely enough :)


Hey fig u mean to say that when x=y the function is not defined.
Now 1 says x+y =3
I will take x=1.5 and y=1.5...............
Then where is the function to calculate with the above values , i mean when they are same the function is not defined.
So i say that 1 is not sufficient
_________________

Averages Accelerated:Guide to solve Averages Quickly(with 10 practice problems)

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 May 2006
Posts: 1814
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2006, 11:32
cicerone wrote:
Fig wrote:
cicerone wrote:
Hey fig, don't u think that u are violating the basic rule of Data Sufficiency.

IT is given that x$y = (x^2-y^2)/(x-y).
That's it ...............
We know that the above function is difined if x!=y. But how can we consider that the given statment implies this.................


Well, I would like to say u no :)

An equation is definied and implies by its existence that x!=y :)... In my eyes, it's widely enough :)


Hey fig u mean to say that when x=y the function is not defined.
Now 1 says x+y =3
I will take x=1.5 and y=1.5...............
Then where is the function to calculate with the above values , i mean when they are same the function is not defined.
So i say that 1 is not sufficient


Yes... To me, we have a system of equations :

(1) x$y = (x^2-y^2)/(x-y) (implying by existence of the equation x!=y)
(2) x+y =3

So, in my eyes, (1) implies an equation (3) x!=y :) that implies the couple (x;y) = (1,5;1,5) a not valid possibility :)

In the real GMAT, the problem will be clarified by the writings of x!=y.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2006
Posts: 302
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2006, 12:02
Fig wrote:
cicerone wrote:
Fig wrote:
cicerone wrote:
Hey fig, don't u think that u are violating the basic rule of Data Sufficiency.

IT is given that x$y = (x^2-y^2)/(x-y).
That's it ...............
We know that the above function is difined if x!=y. But how can we consider that the given statment implies this.................


Well, I would like to say u no :)

An equation is definied and implies by its existence that x!=y :)... In my eyes, it's widely enough :)


Hey fig u mean to say that when x=y the function is not defined.
Now 1 says x+y =3
I will take x=1.5 and y=1.5...............
Then where is the function to calculate with the above values , i mean when they are same the function is not defined.
So i say that 1 is not sufficient


Yes... To me, we have a system of equations :

(1) x$y = (x^2-y^2)/(x-y) (implying by existence of the equation x!=y)
(2) x+y =3

So, in my eyes, (1) implies an equation (3) x!=y :) that implies the couple (x;y) = (1,5;1,5) a not valid possibility :)

In the real GMAT, the problem will be clarified by the writings of x!=y.


That's what i am precisely saying........... we definitely need that information..........
_________________

Averages Accelerated:Guide to solve Averages Quickly(with 10 practice problems)

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 May 2006
Posts: 1814
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2006, 12:15
Nope... Not definitly :)

The problem states an equation that needs to avoid certain values of x. Since an equation can exist only for values of x that makes this equation works, impossible values of x are, even if not stated, implicitely banned by the existence of the equation.

:)

In real GMAT, the impossible values of x will be precised next to the equation and not in the statment 1 and 2 :)

Last edited by Fig on 10 Oct 2006, 13:32, edited 2 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 385
Location: TX
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2006, 13:24
Great Discussion guys !!!

I guess C makes sense now .

First rule in GMAT DS , never assume what is not stated and it can be stated anywhere.

x-y !=0 is not stated in this question and cannot be assumed.

HongHu any takes on this one ?
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 2251
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2006, 18:45
I agree with Fig and disagree with the OE. My thumb of rules for GMAT question is that if something appears in the denominator then it is not zero. However, if you don't know whether it is not zero, you can not divide both sides of an equation by it.

For example, if the stem says x/y=1. We can assume that y is not zero. However, if the stem says x=y. We can not say x/y=1 because y may be zero.

By the same token, if the stem says xy/y=1, we can say that x=1 and y<>0. But if the stem says xy=y, then all we can do is xy-y=0, or y(x-1)=0. In other words there are two solutions to this equation: x=1 and y=anything, or y=0 and x=anything.

What do you all think?
_________________

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 May 2006
Posts: 1814
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2006, 22:33
In the real GMAT, the question will exclude all impossible cases :)

So... people who are not 100% in trust for this way to see an equation will have finally no more troubles than those who trust. :)

The rule of x*y=y given by HongHu is the one to remember guys :) I fairly believe it appears to anyone of us during the GDay ;)
  [#permalink] 10 Oct 2006, 22:33
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
inequality - challenge sharadGmat 2 06 Aug 2006, 21:56
DS: Inequality Vithal 6 10 Jun 2005, 18:27
ds inequality cloaked_vessel 8 26 Mar 2005, 11:31
ds: inequality mirhaque 2 25 Mar 2005, 05:27
Ds - Inequality crackgmat04 7 07 Dec 2004, 07:32
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Ds - Challenge 2 - inequalities

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.