Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:10 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Algebrax   Exponents/Powersx   Inequalitiesx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618603 [136]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618603 [51]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29894 [7]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 771 [4]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Re: If x and y are nonzero integers, is x^y < y^x ? (1) x = y^2 (2) y > 2 [#permalink]
Kudos
This is a tricky question. I think it relies on you misapplying the rule: \((x^a)^b = x^{ab}\). Is this only valid if a and b are constants?

Example:
(1) \(x = y^2\);

\(x^y < y^x\) therefore, \((y^2)^y < y^{y^2}\). How do you simplify this? The guide shows to \(y^{2y} < y^{y^2}\). The left hand side makes sense to me.

Why would \(y^{y^2}\) not simplify to \(y^{2y}\) also? Plugging in numbers, it makes sense. I just want to understand the concept.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: If x and y are nonzero integers, is x^y < y^x ? (1) x = y^2 (2) y > 2 [#permalink]
Posting this msg here even though i sent a private msg to you-for the benefit of others here.

Hi Bunuel, apprecite ur wonderful explanation. I am having trouble in DS question where x & y are termed as non-zero integers.

What is the best way to analyze instances where x & y are are NEGATIVE integers. I see that u have not analyzed this possibility. is there a trick to be sure that this is not needed as u have solved in this case?

Please enlighten. Thanks.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618603 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ramanankris wrote:
Posting this msg here even though i sent a private msg to you-for the benefit of others here.

Hi Bunuel, apprecite ur wonderful explanation. I am having trouble in DS question where x & y are termed as non-zero integers.

What is the best way to analyze instances where x & y are are NEGATIVE integers. I see that u have not analyzed this possibility. is there a trick to be sure that this is not needed as u have solved in this case?

Please enlighten. Thanks.

On DS questions when plugging numbers, goal is to prove that the statement is not sufficient. So we should try to get a YES answer with one chosen number(s) and a NO with another.

For statement (1) I got YES answer and then NO answer with positive numbers, so my goal to prove that this statement was not sufficient was reached, hence there was no need to try negative numbers.

Hope it's clear.
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16592 [3]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Re: If x and y are nonzero integers, is x^y < y^x ? [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. For DS problems, the VA (Variable Approach) method is the quickest and easiest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember that equal numbers of variables and independent equations ensure a solution.

Since we have 2 variables (\(x\) and \(y\)) and 0 equations, C is most likely to be the answer. So, we should consider 1) & 2) first.

Conditions 1) & 2):
\(x^y = (y^2)^y = y^{2y}\)
\(y^x = y^{y^2}\)
Since \(y > 2\), we have \(y^2 > 2y\) and \(y^{2y} < y^{y^2}\).
Thus both conditions together are sufficient.

Since this is an integer question (one of the key question areas), we should also consider choices A and B by CMT(Common Mistake Type) 4(A).

Condition 1)
\(x = 9, y = 3 ⇒ 9^3 = 3^6 < 3^9\) : Yes
\(x = 1, y = 1 ⇒ 1^1 = 1^1\) : No
The condition 1) only is not sufficient.

Condition 2)
\(x = 1, y = 4 ⇒ 1^2 < 4^1\) : Yes
\(x = -1, y = 4 => (-1)^4 = 1 > 4^{-1} = \frac{1}{4}\) : No
The condition 2) only is not sufficient.

Therefore, C is the answer.

Normally, in problems which require 2 equations, such as those in which the original conditions include 2 variables, or 3 variables and 1 equation, or 4 variables and 2 equations, each of conditions 1) and 2) provide an additional equation. In these problems, the two key possibilities are that C is the answer (with probability 70%), and E is the answer (with probability 25%). Thus, there is only a 5% chance that A, B or D is the answer. This occurs in common mistake types 3 and 4. Since C (both conditions together are sufficient) is the most likely answer, we save time by first checking whether conditions 1) and 2) are sufficient, when taken together. Obviously, there may be cases in which the answer is A, B, D or E, but if conditions 1) and 2) are NOT sufficient when taken together, the answer must be E.
Current Student
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [2]
Given Kudos: 148
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V23
GMAT 2: 530 Q39 V24
GMAT 3: 580 Q46 V24 (Online)
GMAT 4: 640 Q50 V26
GPA: 3.82
WE:Other (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: If x and y are nonzero integers, is x^y < y^x ? [#permalink]
Kudos
From Statement 1 x=y^2 so x and y both can be equal to 1 , then x^y cannot be less than y^x as both are equal
When y=3 then x=9 then x^y will be less than y^x. So no unique answer. Hence statement 1 alone is not suffice

Statement 2, y>2 does not provides us with any data about x hence not suffice as we cannot compare the expressions

Both statements together are required. When we combine both the statements, only value possible is y=3 and x=9
Hence Option C

Hence answer is Option C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
GPA: 4
Send PM
If x and y are nonzero integers, is x^y < y^x ? [#permalink]
Bunuel

Probably I am quite sleepy, but I am struggling to prove "NO" with statement 2.
If y>2, whatever value of x I take I get a yes.
Can you share a set of numbers where we can get a no for this?

Pls Ignore: I finally figured. Just posting in case someone else may find it useful.
I was just testing Y = 3, and tried all sorts of values for X. Y = 4, and X = -2 did the trick.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618603 [1]
Send PM
If x and y are nonzero integers, is x^y < y^x ? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
TargetMBA007 wrote:
If x and y are nonzero integers, is x^y < y^x ?

(1) x = y^2
(2) y > 2

Bunuel

Probably I am quite sleepy, but I am struggling to prove "NO" with statement 2.
If y>2, whatever value of x I take I get a yes.
Can you share a set of numbers where we can get a no for this?

Pls Ignore: I finally figured. Just posting in case someone else may find it useful.
I was just testing Y = 3, and tried all sorts of values for X. Y = 4, and X = -2 did the trick.

To get \(x^y < y^x\), probably easiest would be to try negative x, for example: x = - 1 and y = ANY even number greater than 2.

However, there are also examples where x is positive:

x = 2 and y = 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, or 10;

x = 3 and y = 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, or 10;

x = 4 and y = 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, or 10;

x = 5 and y = 6, 7, 8, 9, or 10;

x = 6 and y = 7, 8, 9, or 10;

x = 7 and y = 8, 9, or 10;

x = 8 and y = 9.

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]