Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:50 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619008 [16]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619008 [3]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 60
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: M05-32 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
yogi02 wrote:
Bunuel ,
What if X is totally new value which is not present in a set. Dont you thinnkk it should have been stated in the question.
Because I have seen one such question where X was present in set as a Variable
Correct me if Im wrong

Hello, yogi02, we cross paths again. The question is clear as is. If x were a variable within the set, then I agree that the question would have to state as much or reveal x as one of the members of the set, as in, {x, 3, 0, 1, -1, 0, 5, 1}. With that said, we are told that x is the mode of the set in Statement (1), so its value can be derived, based on the given information (except that it could be either 0 or 1, so it is NOT SUFFICIENT to answer the question); we are told that x is the median of another given set in Statement (2), so its value can be derived, this time conclusively. Unless x is stated as belonging to a given set or you see it within the brackets, you cannot assume that it appears within such a set. If you can come up with that question you referenced to show anyone who might read through these solutions exactly what you mean, that would be useful. I suspect that the unknown will also be clearly defined in either of the two ways I mentioned above.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 146
Send PM
I have a question: since we can have multiple modes, as in option 1, why x cannot be both of them?

It's like having a formula (x+2)*(x-7) = 0 ; x = -2 and 7.

Thanks!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619008 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
DanielEMZ wrote:
I have a question: since we can have multiple modes, as in option 1, why x cannot be both of them?

It's like having a formula (x+2)*(x-7) = 0 ; x = -2 and 7.

Thanks!

When a DS question asks to find the value, then the statement is sufficient ONLY if you can get the single numerical value.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619008 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
I have edited the question and the solution by adding more details to enhance its clarity. I hope it is now easier to understand.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92914 posts