Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 10:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Dual Masters Degree MBA/MHA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Dual Masters Degree MBA/MHA [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2008, 20:44
I just found this site, and it's been great reading all the experiences and help that people offer. I'm hoping that someone can help me with locating more schools that offer a MBA/MHA (Masters of Health Admin.) joint degree program. I have a short list of schools that offer it including:

University of Michigan
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Virginia Commonwealth University
Weber State University (Utah)
and a few others that I've heard rumor of in Alabama, Arizona, and Washington State.

I'd like to broaden my choices for schools. I'm currently finishing up my junior year in Health Administrative Services undergrad degree at Weber State University, and going to the same school for my graduate program would be unwise, which narrows my list even more. I am currently employed as an accounting clerk for a car dealership, and am looking for an internship in a Hospital over the summer. I am probably 2 years away from applying to any school, but I'd like to start my research now. I can't seem to find any sort of list of schools that offer that specific program, so if anyone knows of any, please share your knowledge and advice. Thank you.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Attending Stanford
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 64 [1] , given: 0

Re: Dual Masters Degree MBA/MHA [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2008, 05:54
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Leichenstein-

Good to see you on the board. It's great that you're getting an early start!

First, I'd like to ask whether you really need the MHA. The MHA is certainly a fine degree, but you can accomplish very similar things with an MBA centered on Health Care Management (I'm assuming you're interested in hospital administration). And as the healthcare crunch becomes a bigger and bigger problem, more MBA programs are offering healthcare options. If you take out the MHA requirement, your options for gradaute education in management really open up!

Some programs well known for their Healthcare-related MBA offerings:
- HBS has a relatively new Healthcare Initiative. Not well-established, but there are a lot of great offerings for internships and other learning opportunities in the Harvard Med system. I know that HBS is putting a lot of emphasis on this program.
- Wharton's Health Care Management program is top-notch. Terrific career opportunities coming out of here, and a very close-knit "sub-community" within Wharton.
- Kellogg has a well-regarded Health Industry Management program. Like Harvard, they're starting to put a lot of money and effort into this program.
- Columbia has a relatively new Healthcare and Pharmaceutical Management program. Don't know much about this one yet.
- Haas has an excellent program. You can get a certificate in Health Management, and consider adding an MPH as well.
- Duke's Health Sector Management program is (I think) the oldest healthcare MBA program, and along with Wharton, probably the best known. Great opportunities out of here.
- There are many other very good healthcare-focused MBA's available (I'll be honest, I'm getting tired of typing). UNC, Vanderbilt Owen, Boston U, and Rochester Simon come to mind. I may have missed (more than) a few, so anyone should feel free to add to or correct this list!
Intern
Intern

Re: Dual Masters Degree MBA/MHA [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2008, 20:41
The MHA is not terribly important to me, I just wanted to keep my focus centered around health care management (specifically hospital admin.) I'm specifically interested in decision support systems and the direction that health care is taking with EHR's. Thanks for all the information, it sounds like I have a lot of research to do. Any other advice and help with schools would be much appreciated.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Attending Stanford
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 0

Re: Dual Masters Degree MBA/MHA [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2008, 11:52
Leichenstein, I think any of these schools can get you going in interesting medical informatics directions. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have. Just post here, or feel free to PM me!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

Re: Dual Masters Degree MBA/MHA [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2008, 14:35
Vanderbilt gives the ability to focus on healthcare. Plus with the disproportionate number of large health care companies surrounding nashville you would probably find employment easily.
Intern
Intern

Re: Dual Masters Degree MBA/MHA [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2008, 18:01
Thanks a lot Terry, I'm sure I'll have more questions in the near future, I'm sort of swamped with term projects and finals coming.

Why is there a disproportionate number of large healthcare companies around Nashville?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Dual Masters Degree MBA/MHA [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2008, 23:21
Leichenstein wrote:
Thanks a lot Terry, I'm sure I'll have more questions in the near future, I'm sort of swamped with term projects and finals coming.

Why is there a disproportionate number of large healthcare companies around Nashville?

I used to live in Nashville, and like you, am interested in pursuing a healthcare focused MBA. I will more than likely be attending Haas next year. For whatever reason, Nashville is often called the healthcare capital of America. There are so many opportunities to pursue healthcare in Nashville, but not exactly sure why that is...
Intern
Intern

Re: Dual Masters Degree MBA/MHA [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2008, 10:18
It just strikes me as odd that Nashville would be the happening place for healthcare...but then again I've never been to Nashville. red_s4, what did you study for your undergrad? Have you done any internships at hospitals? I am currently looking for an internship for this summer, but I'm not quite sure what direction I want to go yet. The only aspect of the healthcare spectrum that I can definately exclude so far is Long-term Care, it just does not appeal to me.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Dual Masters Degree MBA/MHA [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2008, 23:50
Leichenstein wrote:
It just strikes me as odd that Nashville would be the happening place for healthcare...but then again I've never been to Nashville. red_s4, what did you study for your undergrad? Have you done any internships at hospitals? I am currently looking for an internship for this summer, but I'm not quite sure what direction I want to go yet. The only aspect of the healthcare spectrum that I can definately exclude so far is Long-term Care, it just does not appeal to me.

I am a CPA by trade, and I have worked in a variety of areas within a Big 4 accounting firm. I worked at HCA (Healthcare Corporation of America...at least used to be the largest for-profit healthcare provider company in the US), which is in Nashville, in their internal audit dept during college. I have primarily been working in antifraud consulting with healthcare payer clients for the last few years.
Intern
Intern

Re: Dual Masters Degree MBA/MHA [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2010, 12:18
terry12 wrote:
Leichenstein, I think any of these schools can get you going in interesting medical informatics directions. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have. Just post here, or feel free to PM me!

Hi ,
I have some queries on Healthcare management focussed MBA programs and I have a Masters in Biomedical Sciences. Can I post them here? Thanks in advance!
Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 25

Re: Dual Masters Degree MBA/MHA [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2010, 21:17
Duke has HSM, it's a good program worth checking out. :)
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 670 [0], given: 781

Re: Dual Masters Degree MBA/MHA [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2010, 00:12
billyjeans wrote:
Duke has HSM, it's a good program worth checking out. :)

long time billyjeans. Hope you are doing well. :)
Re: Dual Masters Degree MBA/MHA   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2010, 00:12