Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 01:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Due to a sharp rise in the price of gasoline, commuters who

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: gasoline [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2010, 09:43
As a couple of others pointed out above we have to accept the passage as absolutely true. This is a Family 1 question based on Powerscore CR nomenclature. So the answer choice cannot conflict with the passage. The passage clearly mentions the finances are not affected and are ok. I can't see how C is the answer. I picked a by poe. E is not impacted as they are status quo; b and d are more inconvenienced rather than "damaged"

Posted from my mobile device Image

Last edited by gmat1011 on 30 Dec 2010, 09:59, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: gasoline [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2010, 09:53
Actually it does say finances not affected "on the whole" - so parts can be affected. I guess the question expects one to separate out the budget from the finances with an impact on the budget not necessarily affecting the finances "on the whole". C doesn't conflict if that is the case.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 12-30-2011
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 47

GMAT Tests User
Re: Due to a sharp rise in the price of gasoline, commuters who [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2011, 06:11
Chose D initially. But i do agree with explanations. So C.

D- Day December 30 2011. Hoping for the happiest new year celebrations !

Aiming for 700+

Kudo me if the post is worth it

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 41

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Due to a sharp rise in the price of gasoline, commuters who [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2011, 23:37
At the first glance, I will choose A. But when read C twice. I chose C because it directly weaken the conclusion of argument which stated that "Clearly, if commuters can get to work more cheaply, they will have more money left over to spend in other sectors of the economy, and the city’s finances on the whole will not be negatively affected by higher gasoline prices."

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 12-30-2011

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 47

GMAT Tests User
Re: Due to a sharp rise in the price of gasoline, commuters who [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2011, 23:43
Yea you are right. We must have noticed the word city finances and its impact.

D- Day December 30 2011. Hoping for the happiest new year celebrations !

Aiming for 700+

Kudo me if the post is worth it

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 166

GMAT Tests User
Re: Due to a sharp rise in the price of gasoline, commuters who [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2011, 21:14
+1 C

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants
Schools: Columbia university
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User
Re: Due to a sharp rise in the price of gasoline, commuters who [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2011, 14:09
+1 for C

Sky is the limit

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 110

Re: Due to a sharp rise in the price of gasoline, commuters who [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2011, 04:24
Tricky question. Got this one wrong. C should be the correct answer.

Consider KUDOS if you feel the effort's worth it

Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Due to a sharp rise in the price of gasoline, commuters who [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2011, 06:51
tuanquang269 wrote:
At the first glance, I will choose A. But when read C twice. I chose C because it directly weaken the conclusion of argument which stated that "Clearly, if commuters can get to work more cheaply, they will have more money left over to spend in other sectors of the economy, and the city’s finances on the whole will not be negatively affected by higher gasoline prices."

In C it is only mentioned that the money is unbalanced only for 3 months and later there could be profits......so How can this be the answer.......I will go with A....Can you please justify your point on this?

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: Due to a sharp rise in the price of gasoline, commuters who [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 22:14
+1 for C 8-)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: LBS '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.7

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 3

Re: Due to a sharp rise in the price of gasoline, commuters who [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2012, 16:51
edit - still think C is funky but I agree with it.

That 700.. I can taste it

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Due to a sharp rise in the price of gasoline, commuters who [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2012, 21:03
Cantona wrote:
edit - still think C is funky but I agree with it.

Guys,

When deciding between C and A, one thing that a lot of people haven't focused a lot on are two phrases "city council has decided" and "most likely to be damaged". Keep in mind that city council has decided to suspend all the fares BUT this doesn't guarantee that people will actually use the public transport. Two scenarios are possible:

1) City council keeps the fares suspended BUT people still don't go for the public transport ==> council looses money
2) City council keeps the fares suspended AND people go for the public transport ==> council looses money and service stations loose money as well.

Now the questions asks you to pick the "most likely" option. Combining the above two scenarios, one can clearly see that council is certainly going to loose money whereas, service stations may or may not. Hence, the OA is C.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 230

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Due to a sharp rise in the price of gasoline, commuters who [#permalink] New post 14 May 2014, 18:29
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Due to a sharp rise in the price of gasoline, commuters who   [#permalink] 14 May 2014, 18:29