Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:10 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 435 [13]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [18]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [3]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [1]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: Due to the chemical spill, the commute into the city will be delayed [#permalink]
Kudos
Due To - Modifies the Noun
Because of - Modifies the Verb

Hence Because of is preferred to Due to
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 1169
GPA: 3.2
WE:Sales (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: Due to the chemical spill, the commute into the city will be delayed [#permalink]
In option B,
reason is used and usage of because is redundant.
in option E,
will be delaying, is future perfect continuous , action still not completed and is going on.

in Option A and C usage of Due to is wrong,
Due to means is caused by, it comes after noun.

because is conjunction follows clause.

because of is a preposition follows phrase. Because of chemical spill correctly used.

Because of modifies verb.

one more similar usage is as a result like due to, the resulting of like because of.

Apart from this,in Option A and C used" as much as '2hours is redundant.

use of 2hours is countable . Here" as many as' usage is correct.
Much is used in amount and money .

hence option D is correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: CBS '20
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V35
Send PM
I have a question about the usage of "Due to".
Why do we not use "Due To" to explain the reason or a cause.

Also could you recommend the rule with 2/3 practice questions.
Many thanks in advance.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1155 [2]
Given Kudos: 635
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GPA: 3.68
WE:Analyst (Accounting)
Send PM
Kudos
Due to the chemical spill, the commute into the city will be delayed by as much as 2 hours.

(A) Due to the chemical spill, the commute into the city will be delayed by as much as 2 hours.

(B) The reason that the commute into the city will be delayed by as much as 2 hours is because of the chemical spill.

(C) Due to the chemical spill, the commute into the city had been delayed by as much as 2 hours.

(D) Because of the chemical spill, the commute into the city will be delayed by as much as 2 hours.

(E) The chemical spill will be delaying the commute into the city by as much as 2 hours.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 445
Schools: IIM (II)
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
I have a doubt whether the use of "due to" correct here.
Just to check I replaced "due to" by caused by" to see whether it makes sense.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Posted from my mobile device
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [1]
Given Kudos: 463
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
tamal99 wrote:

Please go through this post to clear your concepts

https://gmatclub.com/forum/due-to-vs-be ... 40393.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 445
Schools: IIM (II)
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
Abhishek009 wrote:
tamal99 wrote:

Hello Abhishek009
Thanks for the link.
I have gone through posts, but still I am not convinced about this problem. May be I am not being able to apply the logic correctly.

My understanding is--
Chemical spill is modifying the main verb of the clause, so Chemical spill is adverb, hence it should not be due to.
Additionally the thumb rule - replacing "due to" by "caused by" and check whether the clause makes sense - is also suggesting that it shouldn't be due to.
Please correct me where I am wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 271 [0]
Given Kudos: 385
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V41
Send PM
tamal99 wrote:
Abhishek009 wrote:
tamal99 wrote:

Hello Abhishek009
Thanks for the link.
I have gone through posts, but still I am not convinced about this problem. May be I am not being able to apply the logic correctly.

My understanding is--
Chemical spill is modifying the main verb of the clause, so Chemical spill is adverb, hence it should not be due to.
Additionally the thumb rule - replacing "due to" by "caused by" and check whether the clause makes sense - is also suggesting that it shouldn't be due to.
Please correct me where I am wrong.

I can't get behind your reasoning that "chemical spill" is an adverb.

"Spill" can also be a noun and "chemical" is the adjective modifying the noun. Hence, "due to" correctly refers to the modified noun "chemical spill".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
I have the same doubt as tamal99 has.
Remembering about egmat's post about the difference of usage of "due to" and "because of", I plugged in caused by; the result didn't make sense.
I also do not understand why "because of" in D is incorrect. Isn't "because of the chemical spill" modifies the clause "the commute..."?
I read the post once again and I do not understand.
egmat please help!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 799 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618859 [1]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
selim wrote:
Due to the chemical spill, the commute into the city will be delayed by as much as 2 hours.

(A) Due to the chemical spill, the commute into the city will be delayed by as much as 2 hours.

(B) The reason that the commute into the city will be delayed by as much as 2 hours is because of the chemical spill.

(C) Due to the chemical spill, the commute into the city had been delayed by as much as 2 hours.

(D) Because of the chemical spill, the commute into the city will be delayed by as much as 2 hours.

(E) The chemical spill will be delaying the commute into the city by as much as 2 hours.

Merging topics. The correct answer is D here, not A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 4
Send PM
shyind wrote:

A. Due to the chemical spill, the commute into the city will be delayed by as much as 2 hours.

B. The reason that the commute into the city will be delayed by as much as 2 hours is because of the chemical spill.

C. Due to the chemical spill, the commute into the city had been delayed by as much as 2 hours.

D. Because of the chemical spill, the commute into the city will be delayed by 2 hours.

E. The chemical spill will be delaying the commute into the city by as much as 2 hours.

In GMAT
Because>due to, the reason
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
shyind wrote:

A. Due to the chemical spill, the commute into the city will be delayed by as much as 2 hours.

B. The reason that the commute into the city will be delayed by as much as 2 hours is because of the chemical spill.

C. Due to the chemical spill, the commute into the city had been delayed by as much as 2 hours.

D. Because of the chemical spill, the commute into the city will be delayed by 2 hours.

E. The chemical spill will be delaying the commute into the city by as much as 2 hours.

One tip between Due to and Because of- If you can replace Due to with caused by and still sentence makes sense, it is correct usage. Otherwise blindly select the option with Because of- Answer is D
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts