Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:13 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 264 [46]
Given Kudos: 100
GPA: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 599 [5]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Abhishek: Abhi
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4586 [3]
Given Kudos: 606
Concentration: Technology, Other
Send PM
Re: Due to the enormous coincidence of conditions that must exist to [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
My 2 cents.
Magic lies within the non underlined part.
Due to the enormous coincidence of conditions that must exist to support intelligent life, many people believe that Earth is the only such planet in the universe.
This means there is planet already refereed in sentence. Can u find one? E.
Due to the enormous coincidence of conditions that must exist for a planet to support intelligent life, many people believe that Earth is the only such planet in the universe.

Crux of the story , never underestimate non underline part :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Due to the enormous coincidence of conditions that must exist to [#permalink]
Kudos
I think the main issue this question is testing is comparison. We’re comparing intelligent life on a hypothetical planet to intelligent life on Earth. For that reason, I would get rid of A, B and C because you don’t see ‘planet’ in any of those options. Between D and E, I like E; D seems to be comparing ‘supporting’ with ‘earth’ and that just doesn’t make sense. E gets rid of that error. What is the correct answer though?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [0]
Given Kudos: 334
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
execnitinsharma wrote:
Due to the enormous coincidence of conditions that must exist to support intelligent life, many people believe that Earth is the only such planet in the universe.

A. to support
B. for the support of
C. for supporting
D. for a planet’s supporting
E. for a planet to support

1. Seems to me that "to support" is one-time action, and "for support of" is something more global.
2. The "Earth is the only planet" in the second part means that there has to be mentioned "planet" in the first (underlined) part.

Leaves us with E.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2221 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Quote:

A. to support
B. for the support of
C. for supporting
D. for a planet’s supporting
E. for a planet to support

KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

Read the original sentence carefully, looking for errors:

The major error in this sentence is revealed by the phrase "only such planet." This phrase is not underlined, so it can't be changed. A phrase using “such” in this manner sets up a comparison between Earth and another planet. The sentence as written doesn't mention another planet to complete the comparison with Earth.

Scan and group the answer choices:

(A), (B), and (C) do not include mention of a planet, while (D) and (E) do. Use this 3-2 split to begin eliminating choices.

Eliminate answer choices until only one remains:

On the basis of the original error, quickly eliminate (A), (B), and (C), all of which fail to provide a reference to a planet or planets.

(D)'s usage of "a planet's supporting" makes "supporting" the noun, modified by "planet's." "Supporting" can't be compared to "Earth," so eliminate (D).

(E) is the only remaining choice and is the correct answer. It fits perfectly into the original sentence and correctly compares "a planet" to "Earth."

TAKEAWAY: The best clue to the correct answer is frequently in the non-underlined part of the original sentence. The non-underlined parts of the sentence can't be changed and thus force the underlined section to agree with them.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts