Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:28 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [1]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [1]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: SC Question Doubt - Ultimate Grammar book [#permalink]
Kudos
yashdubey88 wrote:
Due to the generous invitation by the host, Jeremy - For me this statement is confusing because this is showing(acc to me) that Jeremy is the host. Should I not take this into consideration?

I wouldn't say that the first part is confusing: Jeremy is not the host.
The first statement doesn' t "leave" anything "open", doesn't need to be completed in the next sentence (not sure it's clear...).

In this case what you say is correct:
"After sending the generous invitation, Jeremy" here Jeremy is the host who sent the invites.
This sentence needs a subject to be complete: Jeremy did this action.

I am no expert, but I am pretty sure that the first part is clear. :wink:
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32869 [0]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Re: SC Question Doubt - Ultimate Grammar book [#permalink]
Zarrolou wrote:
yashdubey88 wrote:
Due to the generous invitation by the host, Jeremy - For me this statement is confusing because this is showing(acc to me) that Jeremy is the host. Should I not take this into consideration?

I wouldn't say that the first part is confusing: Jeremy is not the host.
The first statement doesn' t "leave" anything "open", doesn't need to be completed in the next sentence (not sure it's clear...).

In this case what you say is correct:
"After sending the generous invitation, Jeremy" here Jeremy is the host who sent the invites.
This sentence needs a subject to be complete: Jeremy did this action.

I am no expert, but I am pretty sure that the first part is clear. :wink:

Yup is true. You are right.

Each option lacks of sub verb agreement or is ackward. A is the best, though is not a really well constructed question.....I mean: I saw better sentences
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6341 [0]
Given Kudos: 178
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Due to the generous invitation by the host, Jeremy, along [#permalink]
yashdubey88 wrote:
Due to the generous invitation by the host, Jeremy, along with five of his best friends, is attending the grand opening of the new night club.

a) Jeremy, along with five of his best friends, is attending
b) Jeremy and five of his best friends is attending
c) Jeremy himself, along with five of his best friends, is attending
d) Jeremy, along with a group of his best friends, are attending
e) Jeremy, his best friends which are also invited, are attending

Please explain the OA!!

I am little confused with OA. As I know we can test "due to" by substituting it with "caused by". But here "caused by" is nonsesical so we should use "because of" instead of "due to".
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Harley1980 wrote:
yashdubey88 wrote:
Due to the generous invitation by the host, Jeremy, along with five of his best friends, is attending the grand opening of the new night club.

Please explain the OA!!

I am little confused with OA. As I know we can test "due to" by substituting it with "caused by". But here this is not work so we should use "because" instead of "due to".

"caused by" is just one of the ways to test for due to . You can eve substitute "Caused by" with "attributable to" or "resulting from". In the current sentence, IMHO, "resulting from" fits fine in place of "due to".

From eGMAT's article on the same: due-to-vs-because-of-140393.html

Use ‘due to’ only to modify nouns.
Usage of ‘due to’ is correct, if the sentence makes sense when ‘due to’ is replaced with ’caused by’.
Use ‘because of’ to modify verbs.
‘Due to’ & ‘because of’ are not interchangeable.

Hope this helps.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Engr2012 wrote:
Harley1980 wrote:
yashdubey88 wrote:

Please explain the OA!!

I am little confused with OA. As I know we can test "due to" by substituting it with "caused by". But here this is not work so we should use "because" instead of "due to".

"caused by" is just one of the ways to test for due to . You can eve substitute "Caused by" with "attributable to" or "resulting from". In the current sentence, IMHO, "resulting from" fits fine in place of "due to".

From eGMAT's article on the same: due-to-vs-because-of-140393.html

Use ‘due to’ only to modify nouns.
Usage of ‘due to’ is correct, if the sentence makes sense when ‘due to’ is replaced with ’caused by’.
Use ‘because of’ to modify verbs.
‘Due to’ & ‘because of’ are not interchangeable.

Hope this helps.

Hello Engr2012

Am I understand you correct: you write that this is wrong question?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: Due to the generous invitation by the host, Jeremy, along [#permalink]
No, the phrase "invitation from the host" is a noun phrase and thus usage of "due to" is correct here.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Engr2012 wrote:
No, the phrase "invitation from the host" is a noun phrase and thus usage of "due to" is correct here.

Hmm, I completely confused: in this article (due-to-vs-because-of-140393.html) that you cite I see a rule 1
"The expression ‘due to’ can only be used to modify nouns. Thus, you cannot use this expression to present reason for an action in the clause"

and in this task we have clause:
"Jeremy ... is attending the grand opening"

so according to rule 3
"The expression ‘because of’ is used to modify entire clauses. Thus, you can use this expression to present reason for an action in the clause."

we should apply "because of"

"Jeremy ... is attending the grand opening because of invitation from the host"
clause + because of + noun

Where is gap in my logic?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
The confusion has arisen because of the structure of the sentence. Both ‘due to’ and ‘because of', being prepositional phrases will always be followed by a noun or noun phrase; but that does not mean that the prepositions modify that noun or noun phrase. . Therefore, let’s flip the sentence and see what modifies what.

Jeremy, along with five of his best friends, is attending the grand opening due to the generous invitation by the host
Jeremy, along with five of his best friends, is attending the grand opening because of the generous invitation by the host

It is clear now, Jeremy together with his group is attending because of a generous invitation. You can see that what lies before 'because of ' is the verb "is attending ".

The inter changeability test between ‘due to’ and ‘caused by’, is a litmus test, that should be necessarily passed to be taken as right.

If we were to rewrite this sentence using ‘due to’, perhaps the following would be the one

Jeremy’s attendance, along with five of his best friends is due the generous invitation by the host; here due to modifies the attendance.

But aside from refreshing some tenet of grammar, are we supposed to test the veracity of the non- underlined part in SC?

Originally posted by daagh on 26 Jul 2015, 07:04.
Last edited by daagh on 26 Jul 2015, 09:33, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
daagh wrote:
The confusion has arisen because of the structure of the sentence. Both ‘due to’ and ‘because of', being prepositional phrases will always be followed by a noun or noun phrase; but that does not mean that the prepositions modify that noun or noun phrase. . Therefore, let’s flip the sentence and see what modifies what.

Jeremy, along with five of his best friends, is attending the grand opening due to the generous invitation by the host
Jeremy, along with five of his best friends, is attending the grand opening because of the generous invitation by the host

It is clear now, Jeremy together with his group is attending because of a generous invitation. You can see that what lies before 'because of ' is the verb "is attending ".

The inter changeability test between ‘due to’ and ‘caused by’, is a litmus test, that should be necessarily passed to be taken as right.

If we were to rewrite this sentence using ‘due to’, perhaps the following would be the one

Jeremy’s attendance, along with five of his best friends is due the generous invitation by the host; here die to modifies the attendance.

But aside from refreshing some tenet of grammar, are we supposed to test the veracity of the non- underlined part in SC?

Thanks for the answer, daagh
I understand that we shouldn't check non-underlined part but this part struck my eye and I just wanted to check my knowledge.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts